Taylor grand jury: 1 officer indicted

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
For Reference. Wanton Endangerment of the 1st degree is defined as

wanton endangerment in the first degree when, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he wantonly engages in conduct which creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
For Reference. Wanton Endangerment of the 1st degree is defined as

wanton endangerment in the first degree when, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he wantonly engages in conduct which creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person.
First-degree wanton endangerment is a Class D felony, punishable with fines of up to $10,000 and up to five years in prison.

Sep 22, 2011
Tragic situation, but the issue in this one was not the officers it was the usage of a no knock warrant. I think this officer will be found not guilty. They should not have been there, but they were executing a lawful warrant and the boyfriend shot first. Once that is proven this officer will be found not guilty.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Tragic situation, but the issue in this one was not the officers it was the usage of a no knock warrant. I think this officer will be found not guilty. They should not have been there, but they were executing a lawful warrant and the boyfriend shot first. Once that is proven this officer will be found not guilty.
Actually I think the officer who is charged may be found guilty. He may have been shot at first but according to even the police testimony he acted recklessly and shot randomly. Other officers were trying to calm him down before they made entry so it appears he was a little to hyped for some reason.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Exactly.

Using this tragedy to advance a narrative versus the evaluation of no-knock warrants is completely missing the opportunity for change here.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Welp, nice knowing you Louisville!
Watching the live news coverage... and the cameraman, for at least 10-15 seconds, was following around a citizen dressed in solid black from head to toe, with goggles and some kind of helmet... carrying around an aluminum baseball bat.

I’m sure it was just a Univ of Louisville baseball player that wandered away from practice. :derp:

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I don’t disagree with you but apparently that didn’t play a factor here. And who knows, maybe if they hadn’t knocked and used total surprise the shootout doesn’t happen.

Lousiville banned no-knock warrants in June, in response to Taylor's death.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-u...in-louisville-in-law-named-for-breonna-taylor

Breonna Taylor was at home at her apartment with her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, on March 13 when police arrived to execute a warrant in the middle of the night. Walker reached for his gun and fired at police, according to his lawyers, because he mistook the entering officers for a robber. Officers returned fire and Taylor, 26, was shot multiple times and later died.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Lousiville banned no-knock warrants in June, in response to Taylor's death.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-u...in-louisville-in-law-named-for-breonna-taylor

Breonna Taylor was at home at her apartment with her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, on March 13 when police arrived to execute a warrant in the middle of the night. Walker reached for his gun and fired at police, according to his lawyers, because he mistook the entering officers for a robber. Officers returned fire and Taylor, 26, was shot multiple times and later died.
Everything I have read said police knocked and announced themselves (I believe neighbors have confirmed this). This is why I say NKW are not a factor in this particular case. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be examined and studied for their relative safety for all involved. But this doesn’t seem like an example of a pure NKW going awry.