Tennis and Soccer Facilities

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

savagerebel

Payne County Redneck
A/V Subscriber
Apr 16, 2008
Stillwater
There are crews working on remodeling the Colvin Annex. Does that have anything to do with the tennis facilities? It looks really nice from the road.

Aug 24, 2010
Indy
I hope to god they aren't putting the track around the soccer field. So far I would say they are doing a great job with the facility expansions at osu, but this would be a mistake. The girls don't deserve a half ass combo soccer field. They are one of our better teams and a high school complex isn't acceptable. I take that back...my high school didn't have a track around our field. Hopefully they aren't short cutting to save some money. It isn't as involving for the fans, and the girls don't get the homecourt advantage like they do now.

Don't screw this up AD!

Dec 15, 2004
Edmond
There are crews working on remodeling the Colvin Annex. Does that have anything to do with the tennis facilities? It looks really nice from the road.
has nothing to do with the new tennis facility.....the new tennis facility is going to be north of the Watkins Center (McElroy and Washington)

Jun 8, 2008
I drove by Tuesday evening. If you remember the parking lot slopes to the East. Major leveling is needed before any construction can start. They get it level then they have to do the plumbing. No work has started as of last Tuesday.

Jun 24, 2011
i like the arrangement of courts in the drawings better for college tennis than what Tulsa has....just a personal opinion, not saying it's better.....
i always look at such a set-up from a fan point of view
TU hosted the NCAA National Championships in 2008, I believe. I've heard that many out-of-staters also didn't find their set-up very fan friendly either, which is probably why TU hasn't really been in the running to host another Championships since then.

Jul 9, 2010
The new Soccer stadium will not have a track, the OSU Soccer coaches were against that. I was told a few weeks ago that just about all of the "underground" type work (Water / sewer lines, electrical...ect) have been completed for the new Tennis facility

Dec 15, 2004
Edmond
TU hosted the NCAA National Championships in 2008, I believe. I've heard that many out-of-staters also didn't find their set-up very fan friendly either, which is probably why TU hasn't really been in the running to host another Championships since then.
They have actually hosted the NCAA's twice.......2008 was men's and women's...........
I just think that Georgia is going to host a larger number, because their facilities are so fan friendly.....it's more about the attendance (and revenue) than layout of the facility....nothing wrong with TU.....but for me, I like courts lined up in a row more.......where fans can watch several matches at once easier.....

Dec 15, 2004
Edmond
perhaps most of you weren't aware, but we (OSU, and yes, I was directly involved and did much of the planning and work) hosted the women's D-I championship in 1985, at the Oklahoma City Tennis Center......more than tripled the attendance records at the time for the women's event (which was only in it's fourth year)......Cowgirls lost in the quarterfinals to #6 Cal-Berkely 5-4 (lost number 3 doubles 7-6, 7-6, and had set points in both sets), after beating #3 Texas in the first round 6-3. We had 5,000 fans on the day of that quarterfinals show up at the tennis center (for a women's only tournament, that may well still be a record).

colin1497

Never throw the Venus in the Spider 3 Y Banana!
A/V Subscriber
Jun 20, 2008
I have heard that the university wants the current soccer area for housing (I think) so they are moving more quickly on moving the soccer complex to the Athletic Village area. Not sure how funding works, but because the university wants the old area apparently there are some $$$ changing pots to start the new soccer complex.
I hope to god they aren't putting the track around the soccer field. So far I would say they are doing a great job with the facility expansions at osu, but this would be a mistake. The girls don't deserve a half ass combo soccer field. They are one of our better teams and a high school complex isn't acceptable. I take that back...my high school didn't have a track around our field. Hopefully they aren't short cutting to save some money. It isn't as involving for the fans, and the girls don't get the homecourt advantage like they do now.

Don't screw this up AD!
As I understand it (purely from message board posts), the university is relocating track and soccer separately and funding the replacement facilities on athletic department land in exchange for the land that these facilities currently occupy.

Dec 15, 2004
Edmond
update on tennis facility.......
what work that was done earlier in the month was to relocate some underground utilities (don't know specifically which one or ones).....now the actual earthwork will begin this month.