Thanks Coach Boynton for putting in such hard work!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
With some time to kind of step away emotionally (OSU basketball is very emotional for me, as it is tied to my very first experiences of Stillwater) from our basketball season (one in which I had very high hopes of at least making the Big Dance), I'm totally ok with letting things play out through next season, regardless of what happens this season.

But, my biggest fear (not a prediction by any means) is this. We make the Tournament next season, with Cunningham shouldering most of the load, maybe even make it as far as the Sweet Sixteen. Then, we end up right back to square one after he leaves, and some fans will say "what did you expect? we lost our leading scorer and one of the best players in the game." Then, we labor for a couple of years beyond that before any change is made. Meaning, we wasted another 5-6 years of our basketball program..... That's my fear, mainly because Boynton hasn't proven himself to be a good coach at all. He's a terrific recruiter, but being a good coach is something totally different. Again, not a prediction by any means, just my biggest fear for this once proud program.

I desperately want for Boynton to prove me wrong about his coaching skills.

Feb 18, 2009
Then, we labor for a couple of years beyond that before any change is made. Meaning, we wasted another 5-6 years of our basketball program..... That's my fear, mainly because Boynton hasn't proven himself to be a good coach at all. He's a terrific recruiter, but being a good coach is something totally different. Again, not a prediction by any means, just my biggest fear for this once proud program.

Couldn't agree more. If I was seeing anything on the floor that made me feel good about what he's doing or think "yeah I get that, he just doesn't have the players" I would feel much better. We're 21 and 26 in our last 47 and I have not seen a single in game adjustment to what the other team is doing. I hate the notion that the game is over as soon as we're down 8 points but his track record speaks for itself to this point. There is no chess match happening.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Couldn't agree more. If I was seeing anything on the floor that made me feel good about what he's doing or think "yeah I get that, he just doesn't have the players" I would feel much better. We're 21 and 26 in our last 47 and I have not seen a single in game adjustment to what the other team is doing. I hate the notion that the game is over as soon as we're down 8 points but his track record speaks for itself to this point. There is no chess match happening.
This is well said & pretty much mirrors my opinion overall of the job he's doing.

I feel like the bar was set extremely low after Underwood left, so there was that. Then various dismissals, & thus, the bar stays low because "hey, look at how thin we are, etc...". Then you move forward to a bubble team with everyone coming back & this year there was some actual expectation.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that recruiting's gone so well & there's reason to be excited there, but I feel like I've seen this movie before.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
This is well said & pretty much mirrors my opinion overall of the job he's doing.

I feel like the bar was set extremely low after Underwood left, so there was that. Then various dismissals, & thus, the bar stays low because "hey, look at how thin we are, etc...". Then you move forward to a bubble team with everyone coming back & this year there was some actual expectation.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that recruiting's gone so well & there's reason to be excited there, but I feel like I've seen this movie before.

Yep, remember when Nash and Smart were going to be the saviors of the program? We were all convinced that there was no way that Nash and Smart together weren't going to lead us at least back to the Sweet Sixteen.

Aug 31, 2013
With some time to kind of step away emotionally (OSU basketball is very emotional for me, as it is tied to my very first experiences of Stillwater) from our basketball season (one in which I had very high hopes of at least making the Big Dance), I'm totally ok with letting things play out through next season, regardless of what happens this season.

But, my biggest fear (not a prediction by any means) is this. We make the Tournament next season, with Cunningham shouldering most of the load, maybe even make it as far as the Sweet Sixteen. Then, we end up right back to square one after he leaves, and some fans will say "what did you expect? we lost our leading scorer and one of the best players in the game." Then, we labor for a couple of years beyond that before any change is made. Meaning, we wasted another 5-6 years of our basketball program..... That's my fear, mainly because Boynton hasn't proven himself to be a good coach at all. He's a terrific recruiter, but being a good coach is something totally different. Again, not a prediction by any means, just my biggest fear for this once proud program.

This is exactly my thoughts. There is nothing from an X and O stand point that he had showed he can coach at all. Yeah we might make the tournament with Cade but we will lose more years getting this shipped turned because without a superstar to carry the full load HCMB doesn’t appear to able to coach at all. 2.5 years now seems to be proving that. You can have bad players and run good O and they just aren’t good enough to execute. We don’t run good O period. There is nothing I’ve seen indicates we are going to start developing on O. That’s why I’m on board with moving on now, having Cunningham is just going to hide the problems that existed before him and will exist after him, just like Smart did when Ford was here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
So, we are now 0-4 in conference play. If this s#it show continues, no way we even make the NIT. Why not end this now and name one of our assistants Interim Head coach. That way we can start a search for a new head coach that would have time to potentially save the recruiting class even if that means we lose 1 or 2 of those already signed.

As mentioned by others...Boynton has proven he can recruit but he's lost in terms of Xs and Os and overall game management.

RAGMAN

Greenhorn
Jan 7, 2020
Edmond, OK
As I was driving back from the game I ran through the remaining schedule. The chance for wins are home games against ou, TCU and KSU. But those teams have actual coaches on the benches. Even if we won all three we wind up 3-15 and likely 12-19 overall. Let that soak in.

I know it is a pipe dream that we let him go now, but it another depressing decision by Holder that weighs us down. This coach is what I call a rain man. He just does what he predetermined is best without adjustment. There is no way he could not see the better activity created by the freshman in the first half. Most experts know that the first four minutes of the second half is a critical period for a close game, yet he trots out the same five. Within three minutes we are down double digits again. There are more suits than uniforms on the bench but we cannot figure it out.

If he starts and plays all young players for the remaining season we can at least measure the potential for the next few years.

There were 4000 quiet fans in the arena. All present could hear his hand clapping which is the only “coaching” he knows.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
As I was driving back from the game I ran through the remaining schedule. The chance for wins are home games against ou, TCU and KSU. But those teams have actual coaches on the benches. Even if we won all three we wind up 3-15 and likely 12-19 overall. Let that soak in.

I know it is a pipe dream that we let him go now, but it another depressing decision by Holder that weighs us down. This coach is what I call a rain man. He just does what he predetermined is best without adjustment. There is no way he could not see the better activity created by the freshman in the first half. Most experts know that the first four minutes of the second half is a critical period for a close game, yet he trots out the same five. Within three minutes we are down double digits again. There are more suits than uniforms on the bench but we cannot figure it out.

If he starts and plays all young players for the remaining season we can at least measure the potential for the next few years.

There were 4000 quiet fans in the arena. All present could hear his hand clapping which is the only “coaching” he knows.
Was it really 4k?

Aug 16, 2012
For what its worth I watched KU vs OU last night and OU looked to run the same offense we did. Five guys setting bunch of screens around the 3 point line and then jack up a shot. As they continued to miss the game slowly slipped away, much like ours do.
have said before, it is a safe, low-risk, ball-control offense that is intended to hide the lack of talent.

Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
Lack of talent? McGriff, Likele, Anderson and Harris Jr are all 4 stars. I just want to see the Eddie Sutton half-court philosophy, take bad shots, have a seat on the bench. Jumpers not falling, run plays to get guys to the basket and score an easy 2.

Feb 18, 2009
I spoke to my son this morning and found he didn't go to the game. Didn't even think about it. Comment was, "I have better things to do than watch us get beat by 20." This is coming from an athlete that likes sports and he's not at all interested.

I remember when students camped out for Texas tickets, now they just blow the game off. Holder, Boyton, the merry go round of coaches since Eddie, whatever is is, it's not sustainable.

Feb 18, 2009
Lack of talent? McGriff, Likele, Anderson and Harris Jr are all 4 stars. I just want to see the Eddie Sutton half-court philosophy, take bad shots, have a seat on the bench. Jumpers not falling, run plays to get guys to the basket and score an easy 2.
Right? Almost like you want to see some basic coaching.

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
McGriff was a 4-star as a post player, not a wing like he thinks he is this year
Likele has been a shell of himself since his illness
Anderson and Harris are not part of the core rotation (should be) that is supposed to set the tone for the game.
Pieces are there for a much better team. Time for Boynton to do what is right for the program, not pamper long-timers that are just not getting it done.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
McGriff was a 4-star as a post player, not a wing like he thinks he is this year
Likele has been a shell of himself since his illness
Anderson and Harris are not part of the core rotation (should be) that is supposed to set the tone for the game.
Pieces are there for a much better team. Time for Boynton to do what is right for the program, not pamper long-timers that are just not getting it done.
Well, ya gotta admit, the guys that said Waters & Dziagwa would play 25+ minutes have been proven right, whether that's good or bad.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
So, we are now 0-4 in conference play. If this s#it show continues, no way we even make the NIT. Why not end this now and name one of our assistants Interim Head coach. That way we can start a search for a new head coach that would have time to potentially save the recruiting class even if that means we lose 1 or 2 of those already signed.

As mentioned by others...Boynton has proven he can recruit but he's lost in terms of Xs and Os and overall game management.
That has to be one of the stupidest ideas yet. Why give up one McD All American and another nominee as well as another solid big man.? We have a bunch of freshmen. Four freshmen scored as many points in less time as four starters did last night. The seniors will be gone next year. The team is young, needs conditioning, will have some great new faces next year, Likekele hasn't totally recovered and here you are spouting off a bunch of half baked, senseless, short-sighted, harebrained, foolish plans to totally sink the ship. Go home and take a nap.

Edited since Cunningham was confirmed as a McD AA.

Last edited: