The Conference Realignment Saga... RELIVED!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Colorado State has nothing to do with the conversation. It's not the same. San Diego has no college or Pro team, and is a big TV market. Central Florida playing against OU or UT would be a huge draw, especially in the Orlando area and Tampa area.

Game Day has nothing to do with the discussion.
I spent 15 years of my life in broadcasting, 7 in sports specifically.

I have an actual clue of markets & how they work, thanks. The fact that you don't even understand the Colorado State analogy speaks volumes.

Maybe you should educate the Big 12 leadership on your brilliant plan. I'm sure they can learn alot from you!

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I spent 15 years of my life in broadcasting, 7 in sports specifically.

I have an actual clue of markets & how they work, thanks.

Maybe you should educate the Big 12 leadership on your brilliant plan. I'm sure they can learn alot from you!
you should have a better understanding of this issue then.

The Big12 has other reasons for and against expansion - including travel distance, revenue sharing, how much those TV markets might be worth, etc., etc.

I'm not sure why you made such a snotty retort ...

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
Frankly, Mountain time zone is the BEST time zone for the college football viewer. By the time you wake up, pregame shows are starting. And its not so late as to catch the later pacific time zone games. My saturdays in CO were some of the best college football watchin days I have experienced.
A 9am OSU game would make for a rough day.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Large markets aren’t everything. Birmingham and Tulsa are smaller markets but have higher fractional viewership. California has large markets, but the fraction of people that will tune into college sports is dramatically lower. The Big 10 added Rutgers to get NYC but didn’t gain a proportional number of viewers.

Also, it’s not clear that adding markets should drive modern conference realignment. It seems that adding content will be more important with the projected broadcasting models. I’m sure others could comment on this in greater detail.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Large markets aren’t everything. Birmingham and Tulsa are smaller markets but have higher fractional viewership. California has large markets, but the fraction of people that will tune into college sports is dramatically lower. The Big 10 added Rutgers to get NYC but didn’t gain a proportional number of viewers.

Also, it’s not clear that adding markets should drive modern conference realignment. It seems that adding content will be more important with the projected broadcasting models. I’m sure others could comment on this in greater detail.
factional viewership? What the hell is that?

20% of 500,000 people is a low number of viewers. 1% of 20 million is a large number of viewers.

those kinds of "fractional viewers"?

The Pac-12 Network Highlights (2018)
  • The Pac-12 Networks finished the 2018 football season up +8% in total viewers, making it the most-watched season ever.
  • The Pac-12 average per-game unique viewers for football on TV Everywhere (Pac-12 Now app) was up +32% vs. the prior season, marking it the most-watched season on the platform.
  • The Pac-12 Pregame Show was up +67% vs. last season in total viewership.
  • The Pac-12 football triple-header on Nov. 17 was the second most-watched day in Pac-12 Networks' history on linear TV, and when coupled with TVE numbers, it was the most-watched day.
The Top Ten bowls for attendance all attracted more than 57,000 fans: Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual (91,853); CFP National Championship (74,814);

https://footballfoundation.org/news/2019/6/11/2018-19_Attendance_Release.aspx

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
How has TCU been a disaster for the Big 12?
Added a mouth to feed without any contribution to an increase in revenue. Made it more difficult for the middle tier teams to recruit by elevating them to the same level as those middle tier teams. Can't fill their stadiums. Doesn't care about other sports except for maybe baseball.

The only benefit has been all on TCU's side. OSU hasn't gained at all from having them in the conference. Neither has any other program.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Added a mouth to feed without any contribution to an increase in revenue. Made it more difficult for the middle tier teams to recruit by elevating them to the same level as those middle tier teams. Can't fill their stadiums. Doesn't care about other sports except for maybe baseball.

The only benefit has been all on TCU's side. OSU hasn't gained at all from having them in the conference. Neither has any other program.
I agree with all of that but I think adding them to the conference to stabilize the conference was a much bigger plus. I mean unless you wanted the conference to dissolve that is. I would say OSU has gained a LOT by them being in the conference just from the fact that we still have the conference. We could have been left behind had the conference dissolved and without adding TCU and WVU that was most likely going to happen.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009

The fact that the PAC 12 is behind the BIG 12 in TV revenue proves this.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I agree with all of that but I think adding them to the conference to stabilize the conference was a much bigger plus. I mean unless you wanted the conference to dissolve that is. I would say OSU has gained a LOT by them being in the conference just from the fact that we still have the conference. We could have been left behind had the conference dissolved and without adding TCU and WVU that was most likely going to happen.
I disagree as had the Big 12 dissolved, it would have been because of the Pac 16 deal which we were a major player in. I also think the SEC or ACC would've taken us at the time.

I think for stability it would've been better to add Pittsburgh and WVU as a package and that would've been that.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I disagree as had the Big 12 dissolved, it would have been because of the Pac 16 deal which we were a major player in. I also think the SEC or ACC would've taken us at the time.

I think for stability it would've been better to add Pittsburgh and WVU as a package and that would've been that.
All possible scenarios but not guaranteed we would be better off in any of those new conferences if we would have even gotten an invite. A lot of the information after that all went down made it sound like we might have been left behind. At best we would have had to ride OU's coattails to a new conference.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
All possible scenarios but not guaranteed we would be better off in any of those new conferences if we would have even gotten an invite. A lot of the information after that all went down made it sound like we might have been left behind. At best we would have had to ride OU's coattails to a new conference.
Not guaranteed but highly likely as every network would've eaten up a conference that owned both the Texas and California markets, so our share of television revenue probably would've been slightly more than it is now... again, not guaranteed but as we've seen with the SEC, highly likely.

I do think our brand is stronger amongst athletic directors and university presidents than the fan realizes.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Not guaranteed but highly likely as every network would've eaten up a conference that owned both the Texas and California markets, so our share of television revenue probably would've been slightly more than it is now... again, not guaranteed but as we've seen with the SEC, highly likely.

I do think our brand is stronger amongst athletic directors and university presidents than the fan realizes.
Fair enough, I still prefer where we are now, still in the Big XII.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

I thought we locked up the DFW market with that addition... pretty sure we did.

Baylor can go though