The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
What do you guys use to trade? Is there a website, an app. What's needed to trade? Would I have to use a stock broker? I'm a newby with this stuff, but would love to learn more about it and maybe dabble a little.
For the few stocks I mess with I have an Ameritrade acct. Easy to use which is a requirement for the technically challenged like me. Everything else my son (financial adviser) handles.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
What do you guys use to trade? Is there a website, an app. What's needed to trade? Would I have to use a stock broker? I'm a newby with this stuff, but would love to learn more about it and maybe dabble a little.
TD Ameritrade generally has the best tools.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
I bought a little bit more to lower my entry point to the market. If you have a little extra cash, it might be a good idea. Just plan on it being a medium term play.

Gold is not a true inverse of the market, which is why it has not shot up yet also. It went down at the outset of the last recession, before shooting up.
Gold is down because people are selling commodities to raise cash.

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
For the few stocks I mess with I have an Ameritrade acct. Easy to use which is a requirement for the technically challenged like me. Everything else my son (financial adviser) handles.
Same here, I use Ameritrade.

Disclaimer: I don’t us @bleedinorange ’s for a advisor.
TD Ameritrade generally has the best tools.
Gentlemen thank you for your help and information. I made the plunge, and signed up with Ameritrade.

Oct 30, 2007
Gentlemen thank you for your help and information. I made the plunge, and signed up with Ameritrade.
Check out their Thinkorswim software platform. The learning curve is steep, but it's an excellent platform for research & charting. It may be the best free platform offered by any broker.

I'm with a different broker, but I have an unfunded account with TD Ameritrade just to use this platform.

Last edited:

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Check out their Thinkorswim software platform. The learning curve is steep, but it's an excellent platform for research & charting. It may be the best free platform offered by any broker.

I'm with a different broker, but I have an unfunded account with TD Ameritrade just to use this platform.
Appreciate the information. will check it out. Thanks

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
I generally shy away from pharma but I'm wondering how the fallout from China's drug manufacturing threat will affect American manufacturing. Or, whether we will abandon China for friendlier climates. There could be opportunity there. Biotech is rallying a bit. Gonna watch Inovio again. Fell in love with them for a day a while back.
Welp screwed the pooch on this, I told you I was watching pharma dist. The stock I was on was abc I’ve been watching it this week had convinced myself it’d go to 75 - remember I mentioned don’t try to time the bottom, today in aht it’s up to 91, I don’t think it’s much more than a 110 stock so I’m passing but on Tuesday it was easy money and my idiocy got in the way.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
So though I am new to individual stocks investing I actually know a lot about Nvidia as it is in the industry I work in. The technology they have is going to be HUGE for the future and frankly already is. I think I may have found my first stock purchase.
Hope you took the plunge you might need to simply float like a bobber for a couple of months but you won’t regret it.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Any opinions on Oneok?
Kinda depends on your other positions and near-term needs. A 24% yield is attractive if you can let it ride out the energy trough - although a reduction in distributions is likely to happen if the unit price doesn’t recover in the near-term. You get great distributions with great unit price upside. Yield should be less than 10% if this general interest rate environment can outlast the energy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
https://twitter.com/michaelsderby/status/1240805923389669377
like almost everything going on this is entirely true, misleading, and without context and like most every reaction to information it will be an overreaction in every way and the profiteers will prey on the frightened as they always have.

In Ca, as an example and since we started this it’s probably a pretty good example, if you work for an exempt business (and that list is long) you can refuse to work due to fear of the illness, the employer then has to instruct you to file an unemployment claim, waiving the waiting period, you then collect unemployment you can do this for however long you decide you are fearful of working at any point and assuming the employer has work, they are required to take you back.

That’s just one example, there are many more.

The illness is serious the reaction has been unprecedented and entirely out of proportion.