The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I take it you are not invested in Enphase? I wouldn't give up on solar, may just be a longer term play.
No, and this is just goof around money on Robinhood anyways. I'm not near educated enough in any of this to responsibly deal with large amounts of money. And actually, it tanked and then immediately shot back up shortly after. Huh.
1604681893417.png
1604681925851.png

I've only got $80 actually invested, the rest has all be return over the last year.
1604681994636.png

Most of that increase was with Vivint Solar, then they went off and merged with SunRun and that's where that big dip is. Pissed me off when they did that... I finally got tired of SunRun jerking my chain so I sold it all and put it into Plug Power.

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
I keep reading on Twitter some idiot on Biden’s covid task force is pushing for a 4-6 week lockdown. I say bring it on. When the market tanks again it will allow me to convert my rollover IRA to my Roth and pay virtually no taxes on it. I did some last time but kicking myself for not doing it all.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I keep reading on Twitter some idiot on Biden’s covid task force is pushing for a 4-6 week lockdown. I say bring it on. When the market tanks again it will allow me to convert my rollover IRA to my Roth and pay virtually no taxes on it. I did some last time but kicking myself for not doing it all.
Man I hope not...but understand your situation. Lockdowns are brutal...Plus he can't legally do that on a national level. Also, he said he would not...a week after he said he would. Politicians Oy vey.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Don't they have to at this point, I mean oil prices are just unsustainably low right now.
No we expected the first cut, the second is the fear of loss. Which we will have to layoff people after this next pad if we do not get anymore contracts. Then we will have about 10 million in equipment setting idle.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Curious to know how this works.

Nov 6, 2010
No we expected the first cut, the second is the fear of loss. Which we will have to layoff people after this next pad if we do not get anymore contracts. Then we will have about 10 million in equipment setting idle.
I do feel for your industry. Seems there is a lot of "settling out" ahead. My point it though, $40/barrel oil just doesn't seem sustainable or profitable. Supply has to be taken off the market to allow for the price to get back to a level where it makes sense again. It is amazing to me that not so long ago, people in the know like T-Boone were talking about peak oil, and here we are with more supply than demand.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I do feel for your industry. Seems there is a lot of "settling out" ahead. My point it though, $40/barrel oil just doesn't seem sustainable or profitable. Supply has to be taken off the market to allow for the price to get back to a level where it makes sense again. It is amazing to me that not so long ago, people in the know like T-Boone were talking about peak oil, and here we are with more supply than demand.
60 a barrel is the ideal number. The price per is having little effect. It truly comes down to Fearon loss and fear of executive orders to make it more restrictive.

Nov 6, 2010
60 a barrel is the ideal number. The price per is having little effect. It truly comes down to Fearon loss and fear of executive orders to make it more restrictive.
I think the industry is going to self-regulate the supply. I read somewhere that Exxon had cut their CapEx by several billion. I assume that is their exploratory drilling, etc, but I'm not well educated. Just seems logical that the big players are going to start cutting back on drilling until the price rebounds.

Oct 30, 2007
The Dow hit 30K for the first time ever today. I heard that sidelined cash is back down to pre-pandemic levels. This run seems a little exuberant with the COVID spike we're seeing, but I'm not going to complain.

Nov 6, 2010
The Dow hit 30K for the first time ever today. I heard that sidelined cash is back down to pre-pandemic levels. This run seems a little exuberant with the COVID spike we're seeing, but I'm not going to complain.
Yea, seems a little ahead of itself, but then again, the value stocks are still well below their all time highs for the most part, and those all time highs are nearly a year ago. And more than anything else, it boils down to "don't fight the FED." There is still nowhere else to put your money to get any return. And between pent up demand, increased savings levels, and low interest rates, it seems pretty clear that when the vaccine starts getting administered, the economy is set to explode.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Yea, seems a little ahead of itself, but then again, the value stocks are still well below their all time highs for the most part, and those all time highs are nearly a year ago. And more than anything else, it boils down to "don't fight the FED." There is still nowhere else to put your money to get any return. And between pent up demand, increased savings levels, and low interest rates, it seems pretty clear that when the vaccine starts getting administered, the economy is set to explode.
Very well could be true but also seems that when everyone knows something is likely to happen either it doesn't happen or is already priced in.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Very well could be true but also seems that when everyone knows something is likely to happen either it doesn't happen or is already priced in.
It's already priced in and now it is on the economy to perform up to expectations in the next few quarters. I also think the "new normal" (zoom etc.) technology stocks are set for a large pull back when the pandemic under control.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
It's already priced in and now it is on the economy to perform up to expectations in the next few quarters. I also think the "new normal" (zoom etc.) technology stocks are set for a large pull back when the pandemic under control.
Yep, priced in for sure. We are at some lofty levels in CAPE although surpassing the internet bubble would not be out of the question with continued Fed backing:
Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 8.43.48 AM.png