The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
On a whim. (Was $7 at the time.)
Caught me off guard and hoped it was just a dip and didn't want to pay the taxes from having some of it less than a year.
$40/share. Lol.
It is sitting just above its 200DMA which is also an area of consolidation from nov-dec. A bounce there back to 37-40 would not surprise me at all.
If it slices through that like butter though, then you may reconsider your plan.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Anyone in here in ARRY? I'm not invested but been watching for awhile. Pretty good entry point at the moment.
With an average price target of $44.25 (high $53 low $30) and an all time high of $51, if I had it I might hold but I personally wouldn't buy it. Biotech's (like Inovio etc) can be high flyers after years of mediocre performance but you have to be ready to sell on short notice. They fall faster than they rise. imo

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
With an average price target of $44.25 (high $53 low $30) and an all time high of $51, if I had it I might hold but I personally wouldn't buy it. Biotech's (like Inovio etc) can be high flyers after years of mediocre performance but you have to be ready to sell on short notice. They fall faster than they rise. imo
Hey, who is this "new" guy in my thread?

Mar 11, 2006
Her tweet can be misleading.
Comparing previous adjustments from 15% to 20% and from 20% to 23% is no where near the significant and impactful increase from 23% to 44% that Biden is proposing.

That said, I think the noticeable impact will be prior to law enactment as people sell long-term investments. I think the more important concern is that longer-term investment will be effected.

My opinion: I don’t see how any person, who values person freedom, thinks it is valid and right that the government would take 44% to 50% (including some state taxes) of an individuals earnings.

EDIT: I should also note that I have proven to myself that I cannot time the market and don’t know really anyone who can...so this Biden capital gains proposal will not change my personal market investment strategy.

Oct 30, 2007
Biden's proposal doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It would give us the highest long term capital gains tax rate in the world. LTCG's have always been taxed at a much lower rate than regular income to incentivize long term investment. That incentive would be completely removed with this proposal.

If it passes, it could create a massive "rush to the exits" to avoid paying the higher rate. That could create a fairly significant market selloff. It could also create a higher level of volatility since there would be no incentive to hold long term. I can't see this being beneficial long term.

1619184538254.png

1619184585991.png

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Her tweet can be misleading.
Comparing previous adjustments from 15% to 20% and from 20% to 23% is no where near the significant and impactful increase from 23% to 44% that Biden is proposing.

That said, I think the noticeable impact will be prior to law enactment as people sell long-term investments. I think the more important concern is that longer-term investment will be effected.

My opinion: I don’t see how any person, who values person freedom, thinks it is valid and right that the government would take 44% to 50% (including some state taxes) of an individuals earnings.

EDIT: I should also note that I have proven to myself that I cannot time the market and don’t know really anyone who can...so this Biden capital gains proposal will not change my personal market investment strategy.
Interesting edit. I personally don't look at investment strategy and market timing as the same. If enacted the Biden capital gains proposal will definitely change my investment strategy. My leaning will be more towards stocks to buy and hold and dividend stocks.

Growth stocks with high PE's will become a much smaller part of my portfolio. The risk to reward ratio will change when I have to share more of my gains with Uncle.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
ouch. I target a min 12% increase every year on my 401k. I figure if I can nail that I can retire well. I had to make some moves recently but I'm up 11.79% so far YTD
I need to rephrase. My 401k I have no clue how it's doing (I'm usually too scared to look but it's faired pretty well outside of the fall it had last year). I'm talking about stocks that I've been buying on the side for fun. I had about $750 total a few months ago that fell to $350. I'm still net positive though (only invested $100 or so in the beginning on some stocks that ended up doing REALLY well and have since fallen back).

Nov 6, 2010
Whatever your tax policy preference as far as percentage, does anyone still think that there is a legit reason for cap gains to be taxed differently from regular income??