The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Anyone in here own any SoFi? Definitely one to keep an eye on. Not sure we'll get a pull back before the 20s but I'll likely open a position if it does.
I've considered it but i haven't pulled the trigger yet. Predictions are it goes to 51 all the way to 80 a share. seems like a 'way of future banking' with their strong mobile app presence and in general marketing. you see them everywhere on commercials etc.

H2Orange

Sitting on the Group W bench
A/V Subscriber
Nov 17, 2007
Edmond
The stock market reminds me of an OP game day thread. Today, Lockheed Martin is playing the Spencer Sanders role.

A big over reaction. I don't mind buying a few more shares on the DIP.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Can anyone give an explanation of why this coin and not one of the vast number of other coins except the fact that it is the one going up? That is the issue with crypto for me, it just seems to be totally greater fool theory.

Compare to TSLA, which by traditional metrics is horribly overpriced. But, IF tesla is able to do all that they are thinking/planning it will be by far the largest company in history. They may not make it, but at least there is a track.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Can anyone give an explanation of why this coin and not one of the vast number of other coins except the fact that it is the one going up? That is the issue with crypto for me, it just seems to be totally greater fool theory.

Compare to TSLA, which by traditional metrics is horribly overpriced. But, IF tesla is able to do all that they are thinking/planning it will be by far the largest company in history. They may not make it, but at least there is a track.
There are a ton of crypto projects out there, and some of which actually fit your "greater fool" theory. SHIB and DOGE are great examples of that. DOGE was created as a meme, straight up, and people are using it similar to a baseball card. Shiba Inu was created in response to DOGE as a competing meme. But if you use those as blanket examples for the crypto space as a whole, you are severely underinformed.

The aspect most people have trouble wrapping their heads around is that the coins or tokens are traded similar to a stock. So people look at them and don't see an intrinsic value. Many of these tokens are actually created to transact data across space within a network. So when you are buying something, you are actually buying a piece of the network. So the valuation of each coin is actually a derivative of how valuable the network is. Now each of those networks has different goals. Ethereum for example is not the same technology as Bitcoin, even if they have similar goals. Additionally, there are networks and technology that is being built on top of these base crypto networks to utilize the block chain technology. NFT's are examples of this, which IMO are definitely fitting for the greater fool theory. But then again, so is art right?

Ultimately I encourage you to look into the underlying projects behind specific crypto currencies. It will make you a more informed investor rather than a gambler.

Oct 7, 2008
Stocks that are being affected by supply chain issues are going to be a good buying opportunity over the next 6 months. I've been holding a furniture company over the last year and have watched my position go from 150% up to 20% up. Not fun but earnings and demand are still very good. All the furniture companies are the same, and they all see supply chain issues being a problem through the first half of 2022. But the markets are forward looking so at some point soon they'll see a reversal and should make for a good 50% gain at least. I'd hold off on buying these yet, or slowly scale into a position.

TDOC is also 50% down from its high of nearly 300, just had good earnings, and has clearly reversed the downtrend it's been on for the last 9 months.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Stocks that are being affected by supply chain issues are going to be a good buying opportunity over the next 6 months. I've been holding a furniture company over the last year and have watched my position go from 150% up to 20% up. Not fun but earnings and demand are still very good. All the furniture companies are the same, and they all see supply chain issues being a problem through the first half of 2022. But the markets are forward looking so at some point soon they'll see a reversal and should make for a good 50% gain at least. I'd hold off on buying these yet, or slowly scale into a position.

TDOC is also 50% down from its high of nearly 300, just had good earnings, and has clearly reversed the downtrend it's been on for the last 9 months.
What do you think of a good natural gas ETF or two heading into winter?

I'm still riding NVDA and a couple other blue chips' waves, but was interested in doing what you said, take advantage of sectors with supply chain issues the next few months.

Oct 7, 2008
What do you think of a good natural gas ETF or two heading into winter?

I'm still riding NVDA and a couple other blue chips' waves, but was interested in doing what you said, take advantage of sectors with supply chain issues the next few months.
I wish I would not have sold OneOk a year ago, lol. I pay more attention to oil than natural gas since that's my biggest position but they kind of go hand in hand. Most have had a good run up the last few months so not sure how much juice is left to squeeze in the short term. They do all treat shareholders well and return a lot of equity through buybacks and dividends so good mid- long-term especially if there's a pullback. The other interesting thing though is that green energy is pumping again after taking a beating last year. And a lot of it is because O&G prices are so high and expected to stay high. So riding that green momentum might be better for a short term trade.

Also congrats on the NVDA!

Last edited:

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
I wish I would not have sold OneOk a year ago, lol. I pay more attention to oil than natural gas since that's my biggest position but they kind of go hand in hand. Most have had a good run up the last few months so not sure how much juice is left to squeeze in the short term. They do all treat shareholders well and return a lot of equity through buybacks and dividends so good mid- long-term especially if there's a pullback. The other interesting thing though is that green energy is pumping again after taking a beating last year. And a lot of it is because O&G prices are so high and expected to stay high. So riding that green momentum might be better for a short term trade.

Also congrats on the NVDA!
I deserve no congrats. I've held NVDA since 2018, which is good, but that's when I also sold all of my TSLA shares. I thought it was too "volatile" for me. What an idiot.

Oct 7, 2008
I deserve no congrats. I've held NVDA since 2018, which is good, but that's when I also sold all of my TSLA shares. I thought it was too "volatile" for me. What an idiot.
Lol, I panic sold some things when I first started. You live, you learn. Seems like if you want to be in early on potential big gainers like TSLA you've got no choice but to ride the volatility waves. The good side is if you've got conviction in the company the volatility gives you plenty of chances to add to your position at a good discount.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
Nope, not at all. We're all geniuses in hindsight. I took all my profit from tesla and turned around and bought it back using only the profit. It was purely a good guess that worked out. I could fill volumes with stocks I've sold prematurely that exploded. Being human is a failing we all suffer from and will continue to do so. :)

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Nope, not at all. We're all geniuses in hindsight. I took all my profit from tesla and turned around and bought it back using only the profit. It was purely a good guess that worked out. I could fill volumes with stocks I've sold prematurely that exploded. Being human is a failing we all suffer from and will continue to do so. :)
I have my own TSLA mea culpa. When I got my car in late 2018, I knew this was something special and far different than any car I had ever owned. I talked with my wife and told her that I felt we should put a large sum of money in tesla stock and to my surprise my very conservative wife agreed.

But, there was one problem. When we picked up the car, it had a deep scratch. They told us no problem and they would send someone to repair it. Well a couple of months and there was no repair. I could not get ahold of anyone helpful. They finally told me to get an estimate as they had nobody in OK. They then ignored the estimate after I sent it. Then they told me I had to get another and so on.

Well, I was pissed about the scratch and simply felt I couldn’t invest a large sum in a car company with such poor customer service. My wife got an Acura and her service was like night and day. If I would have been smart, I would have realized the issue was a new company with extreme demand. I wasn’t.

I’ve been calling it my million dollar scratch.
Actually, as of Friday, it is a $12 million dollar scratch.

Oct 7, 2008
U-Haul somehow just keeps outdoing itself. I didn't think they could beat last quarter's revenue of $345 million/$17 per share. Just posted $409 million and nearly $21 per share this quarter.