The Market Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
I feel like you are responding to what you want my post to have said not what it actually said.
I went back and re-read the original one you posted, and yes, I misread it. THere is a growing drumbeat for a full point increase at the next meeting, and that is the conclusion I jumped to, sorry. So do you feel that the .5 point increases that have been signaled are too aggressive??

Nov 6, 2010
So I thought the Zoom results were a needed shot in the arm for the market. I have a feeling that this will continue, particularly in tech, and maybe break the downward spiral. Nvidia will be interesting Wednesday.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
This is going to get ugly!

The country's debt is ever increasing, personal savings plummeting, energy at an all-time high, housing prices through the roof, student loan debt at an all-time high, vehicles at an all-time high, goods are expensive and limited due to COVID/war, and the FED is still sitting at near 1% so not much relief possibility there.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

The country's debt is ever increasing, personal savings plummeting, energy at an all-time high, housing prices through the roof, student loan debt at an all-time high, vehicles at an all-time high, goods are expensive and limited due to COVID/war, and the FED is still sitting at near 1% so not much relief possibility there.
Based on this possible ugly, what do you recommend a person do...and how soon? Ugly isn't pretty. lol

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Based on this possible ugly, what do you recommend a person do...and how soon? Ugly isn't pretty. lol
I'm by no means an expert, but if at all possible pay off any debts and accumulate as much cash as you can. As the graph above is indicating, it is hard for most due to the rising costs of everything.

From a retirement standpoint, I am fortunate enough to have a couple decades before withdrawing so I'll continue to invest and weather the storm and the next one. If you're near or in retirement and haven't modified your portfolio then you're too late.

Nov 6, 2010

I think it all boils down to oil, which means it really boils down to Russia/Ukraine. If oil keeps going up, I don't see how the FED can do much about inflation unless they just force a major recession and crater the economy. We'll see if there is enough time for new production to come online and start bringing the price down before everything implodes.

Mar 11, 2006
I'm by no means an expert, but if at all possible pay off any debts and accumulate as much cash as you can. As the graph above is indicating, it is hard for most due to the rising costs of everything.

From a retirement standpoint, I am fortunate enough to have a couple decades before withdrawing so I'll continue to invest and weather the storm and the next one. If you're near or in retirement and haven't modified your portfolio then you're too late.
This

Paying off debt to me, that is anything above 4%, is always the best choice.