The OKState Throwback Project

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OrangeForever

Member of the SAS
Dec 8, 2007
The 1976 uniforms were very cool, and we tied for the Big 8 championship that year.
I think it'd be really cool to do a Tailback-U throwback series, so we'd have maybe like Fenimore-, Miller- and Sanders-era throwbacks. That represents a pretty good spread of OSU's uniform history to me, and even though I know we're not as renowned for our backfields as we have been in the past these days, that's still an important part of our heritage I'd hate to see forgotten.

Sep 2, 2013
Hey Cowboy fans, first off- happy Throwback Thursday and happy gameday!

I actually mulled over which uniform I should go with for the season opener for a good portion of this week, but eventually I decided that there was only one way to properly kick off the 2015 season; I decided to go for what instantly comes to mind for me (and many others) when I think of Oklahoma State's history, and when I think about Cowboy football. And so...

Now, I don't think there's all too much that needs to be said about this period that you all don't already know- a countless number of Cowboy legends donned this particular uniform over the years, and I'd argue that it's easily the most recognizable set of Oklahoma State's pre-Nike history.

The look itself is one that gradually came into being throughout the 80's, piece by piece. The more simple striping pattern was first brought in with the 1982 season in an inverted color scheme and slightly different format, but with the return to a brighter orange in 1984 the colors were swapped and the trim was separated from the central stripe. 1984 was also the introductory season of the iconic white helmet with orange brand, but it wasn't until 1987 when the "Cowboys" wordmark was finally replaced with "Oklahoma State" that the look was completed.

That's all for this week, thanks for reading and beat CMU!

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
One slight issue. Uhhhmmmm we are on the road? That is a home uni

The only thing we know for certain (from a tweet from the uniform guys) is that we will have on white jerseys.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com

I actually mulled over which uniform I should go with for the season opener for a good portion of this week, but eventually I decided that there was only one way to properly kick off the 2015 season; I decided to go for what instantly comes to mind for me (and many others) when I think of Oklahoma State's history, and when I think about Cowboy football. And so...

Now, I don't think there's all too much that needs to be said about this period that you all don't already know- a countless number of Cowboy legends donned this particular uniform over the years, and I'd argue that it's easily the most recognizable set of Oklahoma State's pre-Nike history.

The look itself is one that gradually came into being throughout the 80's, piece by piece. The more simple striping pattern was first brought in with the 1982 season in an inverted color scheme and slightly different format, but with the return to a brighter orange in 1984 the colors were swapped and the trim was separated from the central stripe. 1984 was also the introductory season of the iconic white helmet with orange brand, but it wasn't until 1987 when the "Cowboys" wordmark was finally replaced with "Oklahoma State" that the look was completed.

It will be a real shame if 2018 comes and we don't have this to wear at least one game to commemorate Barry's 30th anniversary of winning the Heisman. Should've happened in 2013.... Love that jersey and helmet logo, the pants, not so much.

Carneyman14

I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party
A/V Subscriber
Oct 20, 2008
Minneapolis, MN.

I've been saying this for about 6 years. This needs to happen. Soon.

Sep 2, 2013

The only thing we know for certain (from a tweet from the uniform guys) is that we will have on white jerseys.
These aren't supposed to be picks for the week's game or anything in particular, it's just a series where I go though some of Oklahoma State's past looks and recreate them on a modern template.

LakeCowboy

#golfschool
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK

He's releasing a throwback mock up for each week of the season. I doubt any will be in road white.

Sep 2, 2013
Hey everyone, welcome to another Throwback Thursday.

This week's design is actually a tad different stylistically from the previous two, most notably because of the age of the uniforms it's based on. Think something less like your typical college throwback design, and something more in line with the NFL's throwbacks over the past few years.

Now, I'd consider 1939 to be a good midpoint to Oklahoma A&M's early history, falling right between two different eras of Cowboy football. The team saw some decent success just a couple years into its membership in the Missouri Valley Conference, posting consecutive winning records from 1929 through 1933, but starting in 1934 the Cowboys hit a bit of a rough patch with a dip as far as 1936's 1-9 season. It wasn't until 1939 that the Cowboys would find themselves in the green again, kicking off a series of six of seven winning seasons that would culminate in two MVC championships and two bowl wins in the 1945 Cotton Bowl and 1946 Sugar Bowl.

As for the uniform itself, I decided to take it the more traditional route, going with a semi-matte black finish with leather patterning on the helmet to resemble the leather helmets of the time, and going with khaki pants to keep the set in the spirit of the era it came from (speaking of, huge thanks to @casdas for helping me determine which pant color was likely used in the original set). Even though this particular uniform was only used for one year, it seems to be one of the more iconic of A&M's history and also marks the switch from what I can best describe as bee-patterned striping to more solid colors and simpler shapes.

And that's it for this week's entry. Hope you all enjoyed, and hope to see you all on gameday for the home opener!

Last edited:

colb

Wham Block Expert
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2010
Guthrie, OK
www.orangepower.com

This week's design is actually a tad different stylistically from the previous two, most notably because of the age of the uniforms it's based on. Think something less like your typical college throwback design, and something more in line with the NFL's throwbacks over the past few years.

Now, I'd consider 1939 to be a good midpoint to Oklahoma A&M's early history, falling right between two different eras of Cowboy football. The team saw some decent success just a couple years into its membership in the Missouri Valley Conference, posting consecutive winning records from 1929 through 1933, but starting in 1934 the Cowboys hit a bit of a rough patch with a dip as far as 1936's 1-9 season. It wasn't until 1939 that the Cowboys would find themselves in the green again, kicking off a series of six of seven winning seasons that would culminate in two MVC championships and two bowl wins in the 1945 Cotton Bowl and 1946 Sugar Bowl.

As for the uniform itself, I decided to take it the more traditional route, going with a semi-matte black finish with leather patterning on the helmet to resemble the leather helmets of the time, and going with khaki pants to keep the set in the spirit of the era it came from (speaking of, huge thanks to @casdas for helping me determine which pant color was likely used in the original set). Even though this particular uniform was only used for one year, it seems to be one of the more iconic of A&M's history and also marks the switch from what I can best describe as bee-patterned striping to more solid colors and simpler shapes.

And that's it for this week's entry. Hope you all enjoyed, and hope to see you all on gameday for the home opener!
So freaking awesome

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009

I would love to see these some Saturday in Stillwater.