The Stock Market is gonna crash!?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Probably my biggest investment mistake was putting $5000 in the Fidelity Magellan stock mutual fund in 1995 for an IRA and then not adding more to it as the years went by. It's now worth close to $60,000. If only I was smart enough to put in at least $1000 to it every year since 1995, I'd be a millionaire by now. I also should have bought stock in Wal-Mart during the 1990s, or better yet during the 1980s. Young people listen up! Amazon, too!

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
It’s interesting to see these apps and in an environment where even the dredge is being dragged along by momentum it’s great. When prices start following fundamentals again these apps will be useless. As a playground they’re fine but they’re being marketed as investing and worse investing without education, a recipe for disaster, long term.
Yeah, I definitely would not use these for heavy investing. Robinhood could definitely be dangerous for someone to invest a ton of money. Stash at least some resources to be able to educate yourself on though. Still, I wouldn't be comfortable putting any more than a couple hundred bucks in either of these. I've seen guys put THOUSANDS into Robinhood though. Sure, it's paying off right now but just seems like there's a huge risk there to get screwed.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Yeah, I definitely would not use these for heavy investing. Robinhood could definitely be dangerous for someone to invest a ton of money. Stash at least some resources to be able to educate yourself on though. Still, I wouldn't be comfortable putting any more than a couple hundred bucks in either of these. I've seen guys put THOUSANDS into Robinhood though. Sure, it's paying off right now but just seems like there's a huge risk there to get screwed.
I'm confused. Why would putting thousands in Robinhood be riskier than using Schwab, Fidelity or whatever?

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I'm confused. Why would putting thousands in Robinhood be riskier than using Schwab, Fidelity or whatever?
I just mean in regards to blindly throwing your money at individual stocks. Risk from not knowing what you're doing and not having any mediation or education there. If you have no knowledge or experience with it, Robinhood probably isn't the best place to start vs Stash if you're just comparing the two. It's fun to play with but I'm hesitant to use it for much more than that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I just mean in regards to blindly throwing your money at individual stocks. Risk from not knowing what you're doing and not having any mediation or education there. If you have no knowledge or experience with it, Robinhood probably isn't the best place to start vs Stash if you're just comparing the two. It's fun to play with but I'm hesitant to use it for much more than that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Gotcha. I thought you were saying that particular platform did something.

Just like the early 2000s, about the time regular people are talking about stocks, probably time to take a good hard look at what you are doing.

Similarly, when I was living in Vegas, and junior airmen were buying houses and selling them a year later after a fresh coat of paint for more than their salary, I told my wife, "We need to get out of here, this is gonna end badly."

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Probably my biggest investment mistake was putting $5000 in the Fidelity Magellan stock mutual fund in 1995 for an IRA and then not adding more to it as the years went by. It's now worth close to $60,000. If only I was smart enough to put in at least $1000 to it every year since 1995, I'd be a millionaire by now. I also should have bought stock in Wal-Mart during the 1990s, or better yet during the 1980s. Young people listen up! Amazon, too!
Dude, look on the bright side, your 5K investment is now 60K...that's some VERY nice growth.

Oct 30, 2007
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/14/whi...centive-for-more-americans-to-buy-stocks.html
White House considering tax incentive for more Americans to buy stocks, sources say

As part of a forthcoming package of proposed tax cuts, the White House is considering ways to incentivize U.S. households to invest in the stock market, according to four senior administration officials familiar with the discussions.

The proposal, one of many new tax cuts under consideration, would see a portion of household income treated as tax-free for the purposes of investing outside a traditional 401(k). Under one hypothetical scenario described by multiple officials, a household earning up to $200,000 could invest $10,000 of that income on a tax-free basis, although officials noted these numbers are fluid.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/14/whi...centive-for-more-americans-to-buy-stocks.html
White House considering tax incentive for more Americans to buy stocks, sources say

As part of a forthcoming package of proposed tax cuts, the White House is considering ways to incentivize U.S. households to invest in the stock market, according to four senior administration officials familiar with the discussions.

The proposal, one of many new tax cuts under consideration, would see a portion of household income treated as tax-free for the purposes of investing outside a traditional 401(k). Under one hypothetical scenario described by multiple officials, a household earning up to $200,000 could invest $10,000 of that income on a tax-free basis, although officials noted these numbers are fluid.
I completely disagree with this, I hadn’t seen it so thanks for posting.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Depending on your balance you’ll pay 2-20x’s what you pay at a commission free brokerage house, remember they aren’t brokerage houses. The bigger concern, imo, several times in this thread it’s been alluded to that a decent number of people shouldn’t buy and sell stocks and while I generally agree, I’ve also mentioned it depends on what that means, if someone has a sandbox of a $1000 or so then these are probably safe albeit expensive.
These apps open people up to liabilities without the protection of a financial professional that most don’t know what they are or the consequences associated. In about 72 hours in 2011 I lost 30% of my net worth but it wasn’t my portfolio that was the problem it was the calls on margin, within a month I was ahead again, based on the cash position he had suggested. My guy protected me by not letting me go to deep, Robinhood and others simply send you to the trough but they don’t lock the gate to keep the wolves out. They offer margins gold options (most people think who think of themselves as ‘knowledgeable’ investors don’t know how to trade options) for a fee. A kid (or adult ftm) making 20$ / hr thinks of a $1000 a lot different than some others do and unfortunately many/most are uninformed and either are to lazy learn or simply believe they’re invincible. Their lessons tend to be very costly.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
There's been a little bit of blood in the water over the past few days as Coronavirus & Comrade Bernie fears heighten. We could be in for another volatile year. It will be interesting to see how the markets react next week after Super Tuesday if it becomes apparent that Sanders will get the nomination.

1582665370240.png

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
The comments are very telling. Although consumer reports rates several ford vehicles as top buys, perception is everything. Plus only making expensive suv and trucks is their new direction. Pricing several people out is no bueno. Is BK on the horizon?
My last Ford was 2013/2014 Ford Taurus, great car that I never had issues with. My clients loved it because of how roomy it was inside.

Not sure what's in their future but it doesn't look promising.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
There's been a little bit of blood in the water over the past few days as Coronavirus & Comrade Bernie fears heighten. We could be in for another volatile year. It will be interesting to see how the markets react next week after Super Tuesday if it becomes apparent that Sanders will get the nomination.

View attachment 77829
Not sure why they would worry about bernie. Trump will crush him as almost all the polls show. I think the recent market fluctuations are more due to the Coronavirus. It has essentially halted everything in china and is on the verge of of doing the same to some western countries.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
Not sure why they would worry about bernie. Trump will crush him as almost all the polls show. I think the recent market fluctuations are more due to the Coronavirus. It has essentially halted everything in china and is on the verge of of doing the same to some western countries.
I think it's about 50/50. Don't discount fear over Bernie Sanders. I don't think he would beat Trump, but most of the national polls show that happening. The Coronavirus has caused volatility over the past 2 months, but the markets were still in an uptrend. The real bloodshed didn't start until after Sanders won the Nevada primary this past weekend.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e...s/general_election_trump_vs_sanders-6250.html
1582768341104.png

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
My last Ford was 2013/2014 Ford Taurus, great car that I never had issues with. My clients loved it because of how roomy it was inside.

Not sure what's in their future but it doesn't look promising.
They are about to debut the new Bronco in March. Actually there is talk of the “Bronco” name tag becoming its own brand... Like Jeep. There are that high of expectations for it.

Me... I’ll believe it when I see it.

Plus, Ford has partnered with the electric truck company Rivian. And the Rivs look to be a Tesla killer in styling and performance.

What’s telling about all of this though... I make really good money, and all of this will be out of my price range.