The Witcher

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Finished it tonight. Everything definitely makes a lot more since at the end but man it is a rough journey to get there. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
this is what i am talking about. how does the convoluted presentation of this pretty straightforward timeline help the viewer to understand the events? This was intentionally done just to screw with the viewer. I hate this crap.
I don't think so. The first season was based on the authors early short stories and was more about introducing the main protagonists. If they did it linearly you don't see the eventual primary protagonist until episode 7 or so. It's been done before for primary antagonists (GOT didn't show TNK until season 4, Tywin was late season 1) but generally you want viewers to be invested in the "good guys" early. If they teased a child of surprise in episode 2 or 3 and you spent most of the season watching the adventures of Geralt and Yennifer only to see Ciri at the end, no one gives a crap about her. If they have a solid 7-8 series arc developed for the series it's one thing but Netflix has become notorious for axing popular shows so it's better for viewers if they show their cards early.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Honestly, I finished the season yesterday. Knowing that the timeline was to be disjointed, I really had no trouble knowing which timeline was happening. I could almost put the story into a linear timeline at this point and be fairly sure I was correct. It also appears that some of this (mainly Yennefer) has taken place over a couple hundred years, although I believe it's insinuated that Geralt may be a bit older than her.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Honestly, I finished the season yesterday. Knowing that the timeline was to be disjointed, I really had no trouble knowing which timeline was happening. I could almost put the story into a linear timeline at this point and be fairly sure I was correct. It also appears that some of this (mainly Yennefer) has taken place over a couple hundred years, although I believe it's insinuated that Geralt may be a bit older than her.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Towards the end it made sense but had I not known from reading this thread, I DEFINITELY wouldn't have realized in the beginning how early Yennifer's story was compared to Ciri's.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I don't think so. The first season was based on the authors early short stories and was more about introducing the main protagonists. If they did it linearly you don't see the eventual primary protagonist until episode 7 or so. It's been done before for primary antagonists (GOT didn't show TNK until season 4, Tywin was late season 1) but generally you want viewers to be invested in the "good guys" early. If they teased a child of surprise in episode 2 or 3 and you spent most of the season watching the adventures of Geralt and Yennifer only to see Ciri at the end, no one gives a crap about her. If they have a solid 7-8 series arc developed for the series it's one thing but Netflix has become notorious for axing popular shows so it's better for viewers if they show their cards early.
The problem with it is the same crap the pulled in Westworld to confuse the audience; they tell disjoint stories of people who apparently don't age. I would be fine with a disjoint storyline, but give the audience a tip off by demonstrating some ageing of the characters. and if they don't age, maybe changes in fashion or hairstyles. Its just a dirty storytelling trick to "surprise" the viewer when the stories come together. Personal preference, but I don't need the "surprise" to enjoy the story.