This is Our Time

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Two other things really impressed me about Gundy. He was very calm the whole time, and it was super fascinating how (seemingly) easy and natural it was for him to admit that the kids were in control; not only with the social justice stuff, but also with the "we want to play" topic.

As I've said all along - I have nothing against Gundy as a program manager / CEO. I just hate his conservatism on gameday. This documentary is shedding light on both of those things.
What makes him a good coach also, ironically, makes him a bit overly cautious on game day. I agree. I'm hoping he breaks free of that a bit this season as that will get the team back and excited. I think that will happen and we might have a locker room dance again this year at some point.

Oh, I was also really impressed how Gundy treated the 2nd string QB after his play on the field wasn't up to par. We, fans, sometimes forget these are college KIDS, HCMG clearly hasn't and treats them as they should be treated. This doesn't mean that he can't joke around with folks like he did #1 in the locker room post game...that was funny.

Having this scare game should be a huge help to us...I guess we will know if it was tomorrow. WVU isn't bad and can give our line fits if we don't have this fixed.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I'll have to watch it.

Publicly putting Gundy on blast was anything but 'overblown.'
False. It's already been discussed, but you'll see how small of a deal it was in the documentary. The media and social media blew it the F up. But in the documentary, it didn't even seem to phase either Gundy or Chuba (or anyone else).

Note: I'm not saying that social justice or efforts to bring equality are small things. I'm saying the spat between Chuba and Gundy (or Gundy and players in general) was WAY overblown. Chuba got upset and posted something publicly like young people do, Gundy was mostly oblivious to it, because he's not on social media. They talked about it. They moved on; both having learned some lessons, and seemed to legitimately work towards a common goal.

skirtguy

We gotta go!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
May 4, 2008
Stillwater, OK
www.twitter.com
While we're on the Gundy/Chuba thing, I really liked the fact that Our Time put a time stamp on Gundy's first conversations with his staff about how they need to be better about equality within the team, etc. They were having good conversations well before the Chuba thing happened.

That's a big deal to me because it means what they're doing is genuine, not just a reaction to some bad press.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
While we're on the Gundy/Chuba thing, I really liked the fact that Our Time put a time stamp on Gundy's first conversations with his staff about how they need to be better about equality within the team, etc. They were having good conversations well before the Chuba thing happened.

That's a big deal to me because it means what they're doing is genuine, not just a reaction to some bad press.
Agreed. That situation appeared completely different in the documentary than what I perceived from the outside. Like.......almost opposite...... It was that far off.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Agreed. That situation appeared completely different in the documentary than what I perceived from the outside. Like.......almost opposite...... It was that far off.
It’s crazy how that works in other areas as well with social media. Sad commentary on modern. Hopefully it will evolve as we go.
It was nice that it confirmed the difference in reality pretty profoundly and quickly.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Just finished episode 7.

1. Watching Illingworth react to the big stage was great. He's just a big, goofy kid, and seemed to enjoy the game. He definitely didn't seem rattled by the pressure. He will be an easy kid to cheer for.
2. Gundy was pretty fired up in the locker room. That energy doesn't come across on the sidelines for some reason.
3. it was cool how Gundy kept encouraging Bullock, and commented several times about how some of that stuff wasn't his fault.
4. I really liked seeing Sanders cheering in the locker room. He's all about the team, and it shows.
5. I loved how Gundy joked about only one offsides for Bundage was a good game, haha!
6. Chuba was more focused in this game than I expected. Just had an off game. My assessment that the offseason was distracting him seems pretty off-base, now.
7. Sills is a freaking leader. I hope he makes it to the NFL.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Finally got a chance to watch ep8. This was the most revealing part of the entire episode. Here's what Gundy said to Dunn right after Illingworth's INT.

Gundy: "Run the ball and throw it sideways!"
Dunn: "Yes, sir."

It's such garbage that Gundy is so afraid of the middle of the field, and it sucks that he has this level of control over the offense in general. He was constantly dictating how often we ran, how fast we went, etc...like he was doing everything but signaling the plays. I suspect he's done the same thing for a while, now, because it fits all the offenses we've seen since Monken left. "Run the ball and throw it sideways" is our entire offense, and it has no chance against elite competition.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Finally got a chance to watch ep8. This was the most revealing part of the entire episode. Here's what Gundy said to Dunn right after Illingworth's INT.

It's such garbage that Gundy is so afraid of the middle of the field, and it sucks that he has this level of control over the offense in general. He was constantly dictating how often we ran, how fast we went, etc...like he was doing everything but signaling the plays. I suspect he's done the same thing for a while, now, because it fits all the offenses we've seen since Monken left. "Run the ball and throw it sideways" is our entire offense, and it has no chance against elite competition.
While I get it, I just disagree with your last statement. It has a chance if we have a great defense, which we finally do. In a game with a true freshman QB who is untested and the opposition has two NFL players on the dline I’m not sure that avoiding a long time in the backfield or risky over the middle throws is a bad idea, especially when you have our defense. I think we loosen that up some as the season goes on.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
While I get it, I just disagree with your last statement. It has a chance if we have a great defense, which we finally do. In a game with a true freshman QB who is untested and the opposition has two NFL players on the dline I’m not sure that avoiding a long time in the backfield or risky over the middle throws is a bad idea, especially when you have our defense. I think we loosen that up some as the season goes on.
I'd be inclined to agree with you *IF* Gundy hadn't run our team into the ground with Daxx Garman and other QBs playing this style of offense when we *didn't* have great defenses, o-lines, or QB play. This isn't Gundy adjusting to the personnel. The opposite, in fact. The personnel have just finally aligned with his style this season. I guess he's really that stubborn that he won't adjust to personnel the other 8 seasons, so he's just cool with losing a few so he can maintain his "security in simplicity" approach.

He really needs to let the OC do their job and stop micro-managing. Many of us have suggested that Gundy was in control, and that episode proved just how much. He was telling Dunn what to do on every play, it seemed.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'd be inclined to agree with you *IF* Gundy hadn't run our team into the ground with Daxx Garman and other QBs playing this style of offense when we *didn't* have great defenses, o-lines, or QB play. This isn't Gundy adjusting to the personnel. The opposite, in fact. The personnel have just finally aligned with his style this season. I guess he's really that stubborn that he won't adjust to personnel the other 8 seasons, so he's just cool with losing a few so he can maintain his "security in simplicity" approach.

He really needs to let the OC do their job and stop micro-managing. Many of us have suggested that Gundy was in control, and that episode proved just how much. He was telling Dunn what to do on every play, it seemed.
I'm not in total disagreement. Plus I think he does when we are clearly better, like vs KU Saturday. He just puckers up like he just ate a war head when we are in close games. It cost us some and it wins us some. I defer to him...but I likely agree with you that it would be more fun to lose daring greatly.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country

Besides the benefits "throwing it sideways" present to our very young QBs (simpler reads, less traffic, etc.), those throws also tend to force LBs and safeties to at least shade to the outside. Think how many long runs Chuba and LD have broken up the middle, running between the outside LBs and split safeties. I agree maybe Gundy shouldn't have to say it, but if his 1st year play caller isn't running the offense as Gundy prefers it's certainly Gundy's prerogative to call him out on it. I'm sure it happens everywhere, ours just happens to be on national tv this year.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Flipping around channels tonight and ESPN2 was showing the full first episode.

So I did a "search" to record next time it was on . . . . nada, nothing, zip.

Maybe it will be out on U-tube or some other media.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Flipping around channels tonight and ESPN2 was showing the full first episode.

So I did a "search" to record next time it was on . . . . nada, nothing, zip.

Maybe it will be out on U-tube or some other media.
It came on again at 9 PM central time on ESPN2 and it was not any of the nine episodes, it was a one hour show that included segments of all nine episodes snipped together into one episode. It started in June when they returned and went all the way through the Kansas game in one single one-hour episode narrated by some chick.

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Any reviews on the most recent episode? I've not yet seen it.
Knowles had some good quotes about how he can never feel good since he’s a defensive coordinator in the big xii.

The team looked very energetic during the practices they showed. There was also a bit where the offense talked about how fired up and tight knit the defense is. Said it was something they hadn’t seen around there in the past.