This Tweet was from a Dan Davis Lawyer Last Night. SMH

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Good question.

First off - I'm not much for "labeling" people, in general. People are dynamic. People are complex. People make mistakes. I don't believe that a single action, statement, or choice should always define a person forever or condemn them completely. Obviously there are *some* exceptions to that such as murder, etc...for which we have laws and defined consequences.

I believe someone can say something dumb in a particular moment, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are a dumb person.

I also don't like that people are so quick to cast judgment on others and demand harsh consequences. Its very barbaric, IMO.

I'm honestly not sure what the "negative ramifications" should exist for him. That should be up to his employer. Maybe the ridicule he's receiving from social media is enough? Maybe he needs to be warned that future similar posts would get him fired? I don't know. I generally cringe at crass jokes, and really have never liked them. But I also think that getting fired as a result of a crass joke is extreme.
So a slap on the hand and "do better".

Got it.

GTFOH with that though.
Dude, I know we normally disagree on a lot of things. But I wholeheartedly agree 100% with you on this today.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
So a slap on the hand and "do better".

Got it.

GTFOH with that though.
You believe the world will be better off with him losing his job as opposed to the "do better" response?

Why do you believe that?
We're not talking about the world being better off, but maybe Bill will be better off with with him getting fired. He'll learn a lesson. At worst he won't learn a lesson he'll go on being a douche and get fired from another job for something similar.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
You're trying to tell me that you've never heard jokes of similar "taste" in your lifetime OR that you've considered everyone human filth that has stated similar things? If so, that's incredible. Congrats on the most pristine, puritan, perfect life ever. I've heard stuff like this and way worse over the years countless times.
I think that in our lifetime, most of us have told "jokes" that are in poor taste with a range of common targets from Helen Keller, lepers, Poles, blondes, Nebraskans, etc. The common thread I see is that for most of us, somewhere along the line we grew up and recognized that they were not actually funny outside of a Jr. HS locker room, especially the ones that crossed the line from simply mocking a target to making light of a situation that most people would recognize as off-limits.

That said, I see where you are coming from in regard to cancel culture, but IMO, walking away from a company because they have differing political or social beliefs than you is completely different than calling someone to task who is overtly offensive by any logical definition. 1/27/2001 should be considered as much off-limits and in poor taste as someone trying to make jokes about 9/11 or for that matter, anyone's death. Especially since he did so intentionally and with spite due to the result of a football game of all things.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Don't ruin a guy for a drunk tweet.
I could go along with this if it's some 18 year old kid. This is a GAM and should know better, especially someone whose career is one where words are the tools of his trade and judgment is critical.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
So you've never played that game?
Yes, I have played the game. We played in a rather large group of about 8-10 couples from the neighborhood. We were all pretty darn close and did things together all the time including vacations. We played it once and within a month, that group never did anything as a whole ever again. It is offensive and reveals a side of people that probably needs to be kept to themselves.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I view this similarly to how I view the United States dropping a bomb on an Afghan village. It *might* be some form of justice, but will it help the situation? No.
I never mentioned justice, this is straight up consequences of your actions. If his employer fires him it is to kelp his business from harm. If he was the decent but misguided soul you paint him as he will walk in a resign to save his boss from any trouble.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Yes, I have played the game. We played in a rather large group of about 8-10 couples from the neighborhood. We were all pretty darn close and did things together all the time including vacations. We played it once and within a month, that group never did anything as a whole ever again. It is offensive and reveals a side of people that probably needs to be kept to themselves.
Do you consider yourself and those friends "human filth", then?

Sep 6, 2011
In my mind, it's all about intent. This wasn't some "innocent" off-color quip out of the blue. It was clear by the timing of it that this was a butt-hurt college football fan lashing out from his virtual balcony and wanting to hurt people's feelings for a stinking football game not going the way that he wanted it to. It was childish, ill-timed, and completely out of line. Time for this bloke to grow up and realize that there are consequences to poor decisions. If he loses his job, then so be it.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
If I take a crap in private it's just a crap. If I take a crap in public it's human filth. Hope that clears it up for those with comprehension issues.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
You believe the world will be better off with him losing his job as opposed to the "do better" response?

Why do you believe that?
I believe in accountability and that actions have consequences and if his employer decides he doesn't want to have a scumbag working for him that is costing him goodwill in the public and money, I'm all for it.

Aug 16, 2012
Do you consider yourself and those friends "human filth", then?
No, but in all honesty, at no point, to my recollection, were jokes made along the lines of 10 people dying.

There is a line and this guy crossed it IMO. Would I call him filth? I would probably reserve that adjective for someone who physically did something offensive as opposed to being ignorant and verbally offensive, but that is just me. However, I can see how many would feel that way, especially some on here who potentially knew some of those who died on a personal basis.

Also IMO, I think it is best to move on.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I believe in accountability and that actions have consequences and if his employer decides he doesn't want to have a scumbag working for him that is costing him goodwill in the public and money, I'm all for it.
I support the employer's right to terminate the employee or whatever reason. I also support accountability/consequences for actions/statements. I just think that calling for a person to be fired for a joke is over the top. Punishment does not fit the "crime".

Status
Not open for further replies.