Time for BB coaching change should be about 3-4 weeks!!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 7, 2010
Saratoga Springs, NY
Like everyone else here, I'm definitely concerned about the season so far. Things seemed so great when we were in Brooklyn stomping everybody out. The regression into Big 12 play has definitely been concerning.

I am in the camp of giving Boynton another year or two. I know that is not a popular opinion in a thread calling for his head, but I believe in patience and letting him get his guys in to perform his system.

I was so optimistic coming into this season. I could not have foreseen how bad our seniors would be. It seems they are all playing way too many minutes and they all also seem to be playing out of position. That is definitely concerning.

My BIGGEST concern, however, is the future of the program. I scratch my head at Boynton's unwillingness to play his younger players more. Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread - it cant get much worse. Play the young, athletic, hungry guys and let them learn (like we did with Ice and Yor last year). THEY are the future of this program.

We have to catch lightning in a bottle next year with Cade coming in. And if Cade comes in and the Boone's are still trying to figure out how to play Big 12 basketball, we will waste one of the most talented players in program history. Boynton really needs to see the bigger picture here.

And, speaking of the future, how concerned is everybody about transfers? I wonder how frustrated the Boone's are right now with their status on the team. Same with Harris. Do they have the patience and foresight to know this is their program going forward? Or are they so fed up with losing, and not being allowed to contribute, that they'll jump ship and head to a Tulsa or some other school?

I'm all for being patient and letting Boynton develop. I hope he proves me right. But where I lose patience is if/when he loses the locker room and it effects the future development of some of our younger players.

I hope it doesn't come to that.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Because there are several posts that have resurrected the bring Doug home nonsense.

In hindsight, going after BU seems stupid and was counterproductive. But everyone has to admit, at the time, it was a darn good hire. He just turned out to be a snake and no one saw it coming.
i'm not in the BDG home contingent by any stretch, but what we have now is unacceptable. i don't know what you see that makes you think all will be ok eventually. Holder has continued to F the program up time and time agian. maybe he's the real problem............

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
I like our freshmen and I like our incoming class, especially if it can include JT Thor. Even if we go 0-18 I still think you give Boynton the 4th year. OSU MBB had an image problem when Underwood left. He didn't speak well of us, rumors were floating around, and a coach bolting after success so quickly sours the waters.

I thought then that Boynton was an intentional in-between hire, bringing someone in cheaply when nothing obviously great was available.

I think you give him his 4-5 years. That'll get us out of any of the FBI stuff. It proves to a future coach that we will give them some time. Additionally, Boynton has proven you can bring top talent into Stillwater.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
I like our freshmen and I like our incoming class, especially if it can include JT Thor. Even if we go 0-18 I still think you give Boynton the 4th year. OSU MBB had an image problem when Underwood left. He didn't speak well of us, rumors were floating around, and a coach bolting after success so quickly sours the waters.

I thought then that Boynton was an intentional in-between hire, bringing someone in cheaply when nothing obviously great was available.

I think you give him his 4-5 years. That'll get us out of any of the FBI stuff. It proves to a future coach that we will give them some time. Additionally, Boynton has proven you can bring top talent into Stillwater.
I must have missed it. What did Underwood say about us that wasn't good?

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
It makes me sick when I see how much Illinois has improved this year. They haven't won against any great teams, but they are winning games.
Underwood...winning in year 3
Beard...won in year 3 (FF)
Dixon...won in year 3 (TCU expectations of winning are and should be lower)
Drew...won in year 3 (Elite 8)

OSU...has gotten worse every year...but yeah lets give him a few more years...

Apr 7, 2006
I wasn't a fan of the MB hire but the guy has worked his tail off and appears to be building up a roster which was in sad shape when he took over. Is he a good coach? Don't know. He's coached for 3 years and has little room for error with his roster and the competition.

I assumed when we hired a coach without head coaching experience we were providing 4 or 5 years to win - my opinion hasn't changed.

Complaining at every opportunity isn't productive and considering he isn't getting canned - it is a waste of time.

Save your energy and support your school.

Sep 23, 2010
Who do you believe Boynton is listening to for ideas right now? It seems like the guy he visits with the most in the game is Keaton Page just by watching on TV. Hinson and Sutton have a lot of experience, as does Cooper. But in game, he doesn't seem to visit with those guys that much. I am sure they have many debates in staff meetings.

Anybody have any insight that lives nearby and is able to watch the games in GIA. Who does he seem to be consulting the most during games?

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Who do you believe Boynton is listening to for ideas right now? It seems like the guy he visits with the most in the game is Keaton Page just by watching on TV. Hinson and Sutton have a lot of experience, as does Cooper. But in game, he doesn't seem to visit with those guys that much. I am sure they have many debates in staff meetings.

Anybody have any insight that lives nearby and is able to watch the games in GIA. Who does he seem to be consulting the most during games?
It is a puzzling question, because there are staff members that have had success before and we are not seeing any development/changes lately. Even if MB doesn't have the coaching experience, you would expect his assistants to at least be able to guide him in the right direction away from what isn't working right now.

Like someone said, maybe MB hasn't figured out how to be the tough Head Coach, so the player response isn't there.

Apr 14, 2009
It’s about Johnnys and Joe’s!
Not X’s and O’s!
It’s the talent level of the players. THAT is why they are losing. And the fact that several have lost all confidence.

Tulley

Wrangler
Feb 27, 2018
IA

That's a good point. Looks to me like Hinson definitely shows the most emotion out of everyone. I see him talk to Hinson throughout the game. Although when a timeout is called it seems like there isn't much of a plan. Boynton just ventures out to the middle of the court with a "damn what are we gonna do?" look on his face while the players take a seat. That might just be a really dumb take but that's what i see.

Aug 7, 2006
It is a puzzling question, because there are staff members that have had success before and we are not seeing any development/changes lately. Even if MB doesn't have the coaching experience, you would expect his assistants to at least be able to guide him in the right direction away from what isn't working right now.

Like someone said, maybe MB hasn't figured out how to be the tough Head Coach, so the player response isn't there.
Perhaps he isn't listening to those coaches?