Town votes to shut down library because they refuse to pull LGBT books

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I sure would like to see the data used to determine how many people voted no because of the book in question and how many voted no because of the tax increase. It's amazing they were able to determine that in order to write this story.....surely they wouldn't just speculate on something like that in the media.
well seeing as how the local GOP party set up a group to target a no vote on this issue and canvased local areas to get support for a no vote.....and the Tax increase was $24 per year per household....

I think they've already covered that a bit.

They actively went out to campaign against and stop it from passing.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
The line between democracy and tyranny of the majority is getting thinner and thinner these days.
Tyranny? That word may be a bit dramatic...or maybe a lot dramatic? If the democracy was voting on things like what books can or can't be published in America, or limiting what an individual can obtain so long as it doesn't infringe on others life, liberty, or property then I would say, yes we're approaching tyranny.

A public vote that affects a public forum only is not tyranny. And part of why I like more power given at the local levels vs federal law is that if a community makes a decision like this they must live with the consequences (e.g. a bunch of people could leave your town for the town over who did not pass such a law or vote down a bill, etc).

Sep 22, 2011
Sounds like this community doesn't want a library, if they wanted a library then they should have gotten the vote out. If my local library was on the chopping block, I would be doing everything I could to get the votes to support it. this obviously wasn't a big enough concern for this particular community with the low turnout rate.

But to me this looks more like apathy than it does a result of the efforts of censorship. I have no doubt that there are a lot of jerks that harassed the library and its staff, and I am sure there are a lot of zealots who made some phone calls and put out signs, but this says more about our stunning lack of concern for public works than it does about our desire to censor things IMO.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Sounds like this community doesn't want a library, if they wanted a library then they should have gotten the vote out. If my local library was on the chopping block, I would be doing everything I could to get the votes to support it. this obviously wasn't a big enough concern for this particular community with the low turnout rate.

But to me this looks more like apathy than it does a result of the efforts of censorship. I have no doubt that there are a lot of jerks that harassed the library and its staff, and I am sure there are a lot of zealots who made some phone calls and put out signs, but this says more about our stunning lack of concern for public works than it does about our desire to censor things IMO.
It looks like apathy for public works allowing the censorship efforts of a relatively small, but active, group succeed to me.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
A few thoughts.

As a rule, I'm against banning books....the existence of a book in a library does not harm you in any way. If you are afraid of young children getting access to something they shouldn't then put steps in place to prevent it......just realize that they can already access it on the internet without any trouble. The existence of that book at the library is a grain of sand next to the sahara that is the internet. A lot of peopel just need to take a step back and chill out.....it's only words on a page and your crusade isn't saving the world.

Having said that, I also, as a rule, believe that taxpayers should have some say in how their tax dollars are spent. If they don't want their tax dollars going to a library anymore, then why should the government have the power to say "NO, we are going to keep taxing you for that whether you like it or not"? That's not a precedent I care to set.

It wouldn't surprise me in this modern age if many people consider libraries an obsolete thing and waste of our tax dollars because of the already mentioned internet. I disagree, but I'm old fashioned, I still prefer books to reading on a tablet, but I realize that at some point in the not so distant future, books will become a thing of the past. Maybe libraries will morph into something different or maybe they will disappear altogether, who knows.

Lastly, since we now live in a world where reading a book like Huckleberry Finn aloud can legitimately cost a person their career, maybe it's best to remove the possibility of making such a mistake by removing the library entirely. Mostly kidding.

Mar 11, 2006
A few thoughts.

As a rule, I'm against banning books....the existence of a book in a library does not harm you in any way. If you are afraid of young children getting access to something they shouldn't then put steps in place to prevent it......just realize that they can already access it on the internet without any trouble. The existence of that book at the library is a grain of sand next to the sahara that is the internet. A lot of peopel just need to take a step back and chill out.....it's only words on a page and your crusade isn't saving the world.

Having said that, I also, as a rule, believe that taxpayers should have some say in how their tax dollars are spent. If they don't want their tax dollars going to a library anymore, then why should the government have the power to say "NO, we are going to keep taxing you for that whether you like it or not"? That's not a precedent I care to set.

It wouldn't surprise me in this modern age if many people consider libraries an obsolete thing and waste of our tax dollars because of the already mentioned internet. I disagree, but I'm old fashioned, I still prefer books to reading on a tablet, but I realize that at some point in the not so distant future, books will become a thing of the past. Maybe libraries will morph into something different or maybe they will disappear altogether, who knows.

Lastly, since we now live in a world where reading a book like Huckleberry Finn aloud can legitimately cost a person their career, maybe it's best to remove the possibility of making such a mistake by removing the library entirely. Mostly kidding.
My nominee for post of the month.

I was going to point out how much of our tax dollars now subsidize home and/or 5G mobile internet --- but your post is much more eloquent. Well said.