Tulsa Post Game Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Overact much?

This thread is a joke. We got people wanting to bench our starting QB for a guy who completed 4 passes, fire the coach who didn't immediately put in the true freshman who hadn't practiced in 2 weeks, and think that our Heisman candidate running back sucks because he had the first poor performance in forever by only having 90+ yards in a game where for the majority of it he was the only real threat to focus on.

People need to take a deep breath and realize that with all the COVID complications piled on top a new offensive coordinator having to call a game for 3 different quarterbacks in the first game coming out of a strange offseason we still managed to find a way to win by leaning on our defense! It may not have been pretty but I'll take the win given what happened.

Who knows how this year will go but I'm willing to give it more than one game before you convince me that the sky is falling. Then again it is 2020 so who knows. :blink:

Jan 14, 2006
Overact much?

This thread is a joke. We got people wanting to bench our starting QB for a guy who completed 4 passes, fire the coach who didn't immediately put in the true freshman who hadn't practiced in 2 weeks, and think that our Heisman candidate running back sucks because he had the first poor performance in forever by only having 90+ yards in a game where for the majority of it he was the only real threat to focus on.

People need to take a deep breath and realize that with all the COVID complications piled on top a new offensive coordinator having to call a game for 3 different quarterbacks in the first game coming out of a strange offseason we still managed to find a way to win by leaning on our defense! It may not have been pretty but I'll take the win given what happened.

Who knows how this year will go but I'm willing to give it more than one game before you convince me that the sky is falling. Then again it is 2020 so who knows. :blink:
There's no place for this type of reasonable response around here!

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Why shouldn’t you try Sills at Tackle? He’s phenomenal at guard but the returns are limited at thriving at that position. He’s got the requisite height to try it, he seems very laterally mobile,why not try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boy you really don't understand OL play at all smfh!!! Sills is a high end, elite guard, doesn't necessarily mean he translates on the edge. He moves well for a guard, doesn't mean he moves well for a tackle...there's a big difference. He's played some tackle before at WVU, but wasn't successful. He's a guard/center prospect, and his height is irrelevant....you can be 6'3-6'4 and be a tackle. I'll say it again, playing tackle is dependent on the quality of the footwork, and the ability to bend. What you have is a mess on the OL and it's DIckey's job to fix it...which is why he gets paid the big bucks. How much this group can improve is the million dollar question. Only time will tell. Losing Bray and Farrell is much more devastating than people realize, or even want to admit.
You’re right it doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be good there, but the upside of him being good there is substantially higher than guard. If he’s already flamed out at tackle then that’s fine, I didnt know that, I’m not paying the same attention to past WVU teams as I am OSU. But I don’t think his athletic profile is irrelevant to making the switch.

I’m not disagreeing it’s a mess and that it’s on Dicky to fix it, I’m just suggesting how that might happen. Footwork is coaching. Why not coach the most talented players on it?

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Oh this game was also a big reminder, and I think we all know but the broadcasts never seem to mention it... we are a 2 star team! Tylan Wallace is freaking phenomenal

Defense plays their best game in years and we are a 2 man team.

I didn’t mean it like that. I praised the defense a bunch in other posts, my point was just that Tylan is a player on Chubba’s level.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Ever head of
You’re right it doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be good there, but the upside of him being good there is substantially higher than guard. If he’s already flamed out at tackle then that’s fine, I didnt know that, I’m not paying the same attention to past WVU teams as I am OSU. But I don’t think his athletic profile is irrelevant to making the switch.

I’m not disagreeing it’s a mess and that it’s on Dicky to fix it, I’m just suggesting how that might happen. Footwork is coaching. Why not coach the most talented players on it?

Ever heard of the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it?? Sills at guard isn't broken so why fix it?? You don't have to pay attention to WVU to get that info...that was given when he transferred here, and has been in multiple stories. You're also the same guy that said Hunter Anthony would be fine b/c of his size lol. His athletic profile fits at "guard". You're best athlete is typically your LT unless your QB is a lefty, which your RT is protecting the blindside. Jenkins is your best athlete, which why he played LT until late in the game. Sills a classic mauler, that needs to stay inside so you can run the ball in between the tackles.

Footwork is coaching, but some are simply more gifted than others. Some are light on their feet, others are heavy. Some things you can coach, other things are simply god-given ability. Right now, we have a bad hand on the OL, and we have play the cards we're dealt with. Sills at tackle wouldn't fix a damn thing, but you'd be left with a soft middle. Next week we play WVU, you're going to ask freshman guards to block the Stills brothers in the interior over a 5th year senior in Sills? Yeah...that's a hard pass for me lmao!!

Sep 22, 2011
Overact much?

We beat TU, a team with possibly 3-5 players who would see playing time on a P5 conference team, who could not get a play in and whose coach will be getting fired at the end of the season, by 6 points. Our heisman candidate rb looked slow, weak and disinterested, our line cant block against a conference USA front seven, spencer sanders is made of glass. The only reasons we won are that TU is garbage, we have a good defense, tylan wallace is a monster, and illingsworth knows exactly what to do with the ball (get it to number 2).
What about this team gives you confidence going into conference play?

Nov 18, 2011
If Illingworth can do that with little to no practice, makes you wonder what he can do with reps. Very reminiscent of the Weeden Colorado game. Also Brown was night and day better than anything we saw of him last year. Looked like he put in some work in the offseason when Chuba was distracted with other stuff.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
We beat TU, a team with possibly 3-5 players who would see playing time on a P5 conference team, who could not get a play in and whose coach will be getting fired at the end of the season, by 6 points. Our heisman candidate rb looked slow, weak and disinterested, our line cant block against a conference USA front seven, spencer sanders is made of glass. The only reasons we won are that TU is garbage, we have a good defense, tylan wallace is a monster, and illingsworth knows exactly what to do with the ball (get it to number 2).
What about this team gives you confidence going into conference play?
We scored on the first drive when Sanders was healthy and both of the real drives Illingworth was in on. If either of them play the entire game, the outcome isn't in doubt late and we probably cover. We'll be fine.

Sep 22, 2011
We scored on the first drive when Sanders was healthy and both of the real drives Illingworth was in on. If either of them play the entire game, the outcome isn't in doubt late and we probably cover. We'll be fine.
I dont know, OL problems are very hard to solve quickly. If we play like that against B12 linebackers it doesn't matter who is at QB. The game plan with Illingworth was throw the ball to 2 whenever there is single coverage and hand the ball to 30 when there is not, he did well but we didn't ask him to do much today, people calling for him over Spencer or calling for gundys head are overreacting. I am very concerned about the ol because that performance today will win us very few conference games

Nov 27, 2005
If Illingworth can do that with little to no practice, makes you wonder what he can do with reps. Very reminiscent of the Weeden Colorado game. Also Brown was night and day better than anything we saw of him last year. Looked like he put in some work in the offseason when Chuba was distracted with other stuff.
If this game was not postponed, Illingworth would not be available last week, but Spencer Sanders would probably not get hurt either

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
I had an 8:50 tee time so I watched it on the DVR after it ended. So I couldn’t look at the game thread. Let me take a shot at what the general thoughts are. Someone let me know how I did and if I missed anything.

Defense - no complaints. Lived up to the billing.

O line - didn’t seem great to say the least.

QB - if Bullock ever sees the field again, I’m not watching. Saw it last year when it was named Dru Brown. Shane saved the day just by being average.

New kicker- hell yes. 3 for 3.

Did I miss anything?

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Random thoughts:
1. Cate/Weeden, Garman/Rudolph, Bullock/Illingsworth. Coach Gundy will never change. :D
2. The game ball goes to Coach Knowles and the defense. They were awesome.
3. The offense line needs a lot of work.
4. Sanders has to learn to avoid hits if he wants to stay on the field.
5. Alex Hale looked good.

Is our defense going to be better than our offense this season?
Looks like I got them all.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I had an 8:50 tee time so I watched it on the DVR after it ended. So I couldn’t look at the game thread. Let me take a shot at what the general thoughts are. Someone let me know how I did and if I missed anything.

QB - if Bullock ever sees the field again, I’m not watching. Saw it last year when it was named Dru Brown. Shane saved the day just by being average.

Did I miss anything?
Dru Brown was twice the QB Bullock is. That tells you a little bit about the up hill battle we were facing

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx

Did I miss anything?
Dru Brown was twice the QB Bullock is. That tells you a little bit about the up hill battle we were facing

Jesus. Seriously? There’s been enough time passed that the pain of watching Brown Qb has sorta faded. Bullock did remind me of a shorter Alex Cate. Thank god MG pulled the trigger after that INT.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Ever head of

Ever heard of the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it?? Sills at guard isn't broken so why fix it?? You don't have to pay attention to WVU to get that info...that was given when he transferred here, and has been in multiple stories. You're also the same guy that said Hunter Anthony would be fine b/c of his size lol. His athletic profile fits at "guard". You're best athlete is typically your LT unless your QB is a lefty, which your RT is protecting the blindside. Jenkins is your best athlete, which why he played LT until late in the game. Sills a classic mauler, that needs to stay inside so you can run the ball in between the tackles.

Footwork is coaching, but some are simply more gifted than others. Some are light on their feet, others are heavy. Some things you can coach, other things are simply god-given ability. Right now, we have a bad hand on the OL, and we have play the cards we're dealt with. Sills at tackle wouldn't fix a damn thing, but you'd be left with a soft middle. Next week we play WVU, you're going to ask freshman guards to block the Stills brothers in the interior over a 5th year senior in Sills? Yeah...that's a hard pass for me lmao!!
Jeez, you’re getting petty over just a fun football discussion.

I understand the dynamics of how you choose your LT vs RT, but the “ain’t broke don’t fix it” idea could of been applied to Tevin at RT. I figured if a move to Tackle was on the table for Sills, LT would make more sense as he wouldn’t have to reverse his technique by switching sides and keeping Jenkins where he’s been. But if you wanted to make the case that Jenkins needs to stay at LT and you wanted to give Sills a chance on the right, I wouldn’t argue. But that’s not your point, you don’t want any movement.

I agree, you can’t make it at tackle just cuz you can make it at guard, we are very much on the same page there. But tackle is analytically so much more important than guard, it’s sooooo much easier to find starter level production on the interior. But the edge requires your best. If Sills is just a mauler, I 100% agree with you, but I’ve checked out his tape and was impressed by pass protection, so my point is try everything you can to find that guy you need at tackle. Spare no expense for the sake of continuity or having above average production at the drastically less important position. That, or you’ve really gotta believe Anthony is going to come around quick.