1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Underwood to Illinois per multiple sources

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by teibbor, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrenhal

wrenhal Territorial Marshal

Re: #2. If any talks by anybody occurred before the NCAA game then it was during the season.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

2. Sutton4ever

Sutton4ever Cowboy

Lol...If Holder gave Underwood 6yr, 3million a year, then Evans leaves and we go below .500 in league and go to the NIT. Then what? Holder's an idiot for giving out the contract at this time next year. Guy can't win in this situation.

• Like Like x 9
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

That's what it's going to take for the coach most fans want at OSU basketball. Outside of DG, look at the names tossed around and those guys will demand as a minimum that sort of a contract.

Underwood bailed OSU out big time with his contract and the position OSU was in with Fords contract. He deserved some appreciation for that. It was a win/win for both Underwood and OSU. It gave Underwood the shot he needed to show his skills at a P5 school.

When he did show those skills and brought back the rowdy in GIA he suddenly became a coach that demanded that sort of a salary if you wanted to keep him.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OSUinTX

OSUinTX Cowboy

Really? Giving a guy double his salary and double the yearly automatic increases is about him wanting more for himself?
    Never met the man in my life, but I am quite adept at seeing Underwood for what he is, and the situation for what it is.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bbriscoe

bbriscoe Cowboy

So moneywise, things are very different now than in 2016. Last year we had to pay off the $3.9m to TF plus the $1m to underwood.

Now we no longer owe anything to Ford, ticket revenue was strong during the past season, and most importantly, Illinois has to pay us $3m for taking our coach. So we can now afford to go pay someone a lot more than we could 12 months ago.

6. Coolfogg

Coolfogg Deputy

• Like Like x 1
  7. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Federal Marshal

It's not a balancing act. We have the money. Holder needs to pony up. Football and basketball are our priorities- You pony up for those . That and baseball some but much smaller salary and degree. Holder just has to stop the penny penching. Heck I guarantee you the bigger crowds gave him enough money to do it. We have the money. Holder just doesn't want to spend it. You risk losing other coaches and programs not football and men's basketball. That's what people care about. That and baseball and wresling. Everyone else you give it scraps of what you have left if finances are an issue.

I don't think we have to give scraps cuz we have more than that but just an example.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Total Poop Total Poop x 1
  8. Coolfogg

Coolfogg Deputy

It is and you may not want to believe that it is. We barely have a surplus. We might just surplus because holder gives his salary back to the university.

9. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

Giving in to a first year coach's demands after he produces a 'meh' season at best sets a terrible precedent for future negotiations with your entire staff.

Just because football and basketball are our priorities doesn't mean that we need to reward Underwood for producing an average season. Plus, if your coach is already flirting with other jobs before he's even finished his first season, well...maybe he's not the guy that you want for the long term anyway. It sounds like a headache and a guy who would be near impossible to retain for the long term.

If you want to reward your coach's loyalty and performance, you invest it into guys like Holliday and Gundy and Smith who have performed at a high level and for a length of time, not the first year coach who threatens to leave if he doesn't get a massive pay bump.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  10. okierock

okierock Cowboy

We have a lot of fans around here that want to fire a guy that gives his salary back to the university because he didn't overpay a guy that would leave without even talking to the players or give us a chance to counter offer.

BU will fail at ILL and I'm going to love watching it.

• Like Like x 8
  11. lagershead

lagershead Sheriff

Did Underwood come back with a counteroffer? If not, then it's just chatter to talk about low-balling.

It's not like he was holding out for better facilities, salary for his assistants or the like. He was after Final 4 money for himself.

He got it from the Illini. Maybe they made the right call, I dunno. Time will tell.

But Underwood was not going to get F4 $$ money at OSU till he does something to deserves it. It just ain't happening...

• Like Like x 3
  12. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Territorial Marshal

Penny wise pound foolish!

13. Coolfogg

Coolfogg Deputy

Exactly this , is Holder the most personable. No, but hes not a azz either. I have talked to him many times. He the jerk took my cell during the storm delay of the TU game years ago you know he did not even charge it back. evil I tell you

14. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Federal Marshal

all drivel. Big 12 average was a reasonable demand. Most of what I'm mad at Holder for has zero to do with money offered. It's Holder's complete lack of people skills. Holder has too big of an ego for an A.D. It doesn't work. He's an ass.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
  15. lagershead

lagershead Sheriff

No. Big12 average has a skew due to Self who is clearly an outlier. $2.5MM is basically the average after Self is eliminated (for 6 schools anyway, not TCU no OSU) and that would be reasonable and probably attainable if Underwood would have negotiated in good faith. He skipped a meeting and walked into the follow-on with a resignation letter without even convening his team first. The Illini can have him. How long is he going to be there? 1 year? 2?

• Like Like x 2
  16. okierock

okierock Cowboy

You basing that on a Trammel article and the word of Brad Underwood or do you have other information regarding this particular situation?

17. PairofCowboys

PairofCowboys Wrangler

I don't know how I feel about Holder.

However, I do know how I feel about Underwood. I'm glad that we didn't pay the man because it's become pretty clear that his public persona was an act and not genuine. If he hadn't left after this season, he would have left soon after that.

You seem like a very angry poster. I hope that whatever is making you angry is resolved, for your benefit.

• Like Like x 4
  18. pennpoke

pennpoke Deputy
    A/V Subscriber

Can we just put ourselves in Holder's shoes for a moment? How would you respond when your coach comes to you with requests to work huge increases in his contract for next year, finding out that he has been working back-door offers from Missouri and Illinois before the first season is over, with average overall results and mediocre defenses against Iowa State and Kansas to end the year? While we should be getting ready for a tourney game?

I would be something less than thrilled and ready to sign over to whatever he's asking at that moment.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Birry

Birry Federal Marshal

It is amazing how people continue to defend Holder in this after multiple missteps of this magnitude. Most people would have been fired after a mistake like the Ford debacle. I would have. Boone's money is the ONLY reason Holder got this job, and the ONLY reason he still has it. You people defending him like its some noble cause is just dumb. He's displayed incompetence multiple times already.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Bay Area Poke

Bay Area Poke Cowboy

In my mind Illinois is overpaying for a guy that is still an unproven commodity at the major conference level. After seeing the '16-'17 season play out I was cautiously optimistic for the future but still not 100% sold on BU. Tripling his salary (if that's what it would have taken to keep him) is out of the question IMO. I realize that losing a coach to a non blue blood is a shot to the collective ego of the fan base and not a good look in general for the program, but I don't think that justifies making an irrational financial decision again. Besides, given what Illinois is paying all-in to get BU, if you upped your offer to $3.0MM what are the odds you end up in a bidding war with Illinois anyways? That's probably a loser as well. I'm not a huge Holder fan, but I'm also not going to beat him up over the rumor and innuendo from Berry Tramel. At the end of the day letting BU walk was probably the right call given what it would have taken to keep him.

• Like Like x 11
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.