Underwood to Illinois per multiple sources

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2004
Kansas
Did Underwood come back with a counteroffer? If not, then it's just chatter to talk about low-balling.

It's not like he was holding out for better facilities, salary for his assistants or the like. He was after Final 4 money for himself.

He got it from the Illini. Maybe they made the right call, I dunno. Time will tell.

But Underwood was not going to get F4 $$ money at OSU till he does something to deserves it. It just ain't happening...
We "know" (as it was reported at least) Underwood was offered 2.2. If you want to call that a low ball or not thats a personal opinion. Also reportedly Underwood wanted 3M. I consider than a counter offer. Or at least they both had a starting point. What we don't know is if OSU made another offer after that or if Underwood shut it down before they got that far. We also don't know if $2.2 was Holder's best offer or if it was just a starting point or what his final number would have been. We don't know if Holder ever got a chance to call some donors and see if he could find some more money for Underwood or not. We don't know if Underwood told Holder there was a legit $3M offer out there for him. But $3M was obviously his market value.

The fact that Underwood cut off negotiations so abruptly tells me there were probably some personal issues between the two the fans didn't know about (and maybe Holder didn't know they had a problem).

Nov 28, 2008
We "know" (as it was reported at least) Underwood was offered 2.2. If you want to call that a low ball or not thats a personal opinion.

>>Of course it is we know now is 'lowball' relative to Illini's $3.0MM but it's not lowball relative to what >>OSU had as their max pay--which is somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.5 - $2.6. He probably >>could've gotten that would a good faith effort.

Also reportedly Underwood wanted 3M. I consider than a counter offer. Or at least they both had a starting point. What we don't know is if OSU made another offer after that or if Underwood shut it down before they got that far.

>>>>Yes we do. Underwood said he wanted the Big 12 average ($2.9MM) or preferrably, he deserved top 10 money tomorrow.

We also don't know if $2.2 was Holder's best offer or if it was just a starting point or what his final number would have been. We don't know if Holder ever got a chance to call some donors and see if he could find some more money for Underwood or not. We don't know if Underwood told Holder there was a legit $3M offer out there for him. But $3M was obviously his market value.

>> Yes agreed. And so since OSU was never going to pay that.. good bye Brad Underwood.

The fact that Underwood cut off negotiations so abruptly tells me there were probably some personal issues between the two the fans didn't know about (and maybe Holder didn't know they had a problem).

>>> you can say that. But you can just as easily say he cut it off b/c he was being courted by Mizzou and Illini in >>that top 10 range.

>>You could also say was a petulant child who was never going to stay once he found out the Illini had $20M to spend. In fact, The >>Tribune now says the AD was authorized to spend $25MM.

Wonder what Brad's thinking now that he found out he got "lowballed" by the Illini AD?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2017
Not here.
So what's everyone's thoughts on those salaries. I'm starting to agree more with MH that BU didn't deserve more than 2.2 after just one year where we finish 5th and go 1 and done in the tourney.
At least 8 of the 16 coaches in the Sweet 16 make less than the $3M that Underwood demanded. Underwood probably would have had more of a case if he'd taken the team to the Sweet 16 instead of going on job interviews.

Sep 30, 2013
plus.google.com
It is amazing how people continue to defend Holder in this after multiple missteps of this magnitude. Most people would have been fired after a mistake like the Ford debacle. I would have. Boone's money is the ONLY reason Holder got this job, and the ONLY reason he still has it. You people defending him like its some noble cause is just dumb. He's displayed incompetence multiple times already.
. . . uh huh...

I'm not getting your fixation on Holder right now. Anyone (i.e. not just Holder) with more than two brain cells to rub together would've turned down Underwood.

I've so far only seen a few guys halfheartedly "defend" Holder . . . but that's it. Much more common are those seeing Underwood for what he actually is. And paying what Underwood was demanding would've been moronic, even more stupid than Holder's ten-year f#ck-up with Travis.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
. . . uh huh...

I'm not getting your fixation on Holder right now. Anyone (i.e. not just Holder) with more than two brain cells to rub together would've turned down Underwood.

I've so far only seen a few guys halfheartedly "defend" Holder . . . but that's it. Much more common are those seeing Underwood for what he actually is. And paying what Underwood was demanding would've been moronic, even more stupid than Holder's ten-year f#ck-up with Travis.
bullcrap. You don't get his fixation with Holder. Because Holder keeps screwing up. That's why. Underwood could have been given 6 years. It's total crap your argument. 6 years.

Mar 19, 2017
Not here.
bullcrap. You don't get his fixation with Holder. Because Holder keeps screwing up. That's why. Underwood could have been given 6 years. It's total crap your argument. 6 years.
Holder didn't want to because he didn't believe that Underwood was worth it. That's not a "screw up." That is an evaluation of coaching talent and potential.

Sep 30, 2013
plus.google.com
For a 9-9 conference record . . . winning a game against WVU . . . and taking six consecutive losses to adjust his defence?

Sure, Holder could have given him 6 years @ $3+ million/yearly. It would have been stupid. But yes, he could have done that. :derp:

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Holder didn't want to because he didn't believe that Underwood was worth it. That's not a "screw up." That is an evaluation of coaching talent and potential.
LOL puhlease. Holder wanted to keep Underwood he just penny pinched and lost him cuz he's a douche. Total lack of people skills. Especially different types of personalities.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
And paying what Underwood was demanding would've been moronic, even more stupid than Holder's ten-year f#ck-up with Travis.
Paying a guy $2.8 million that would not even put him in the top 3 of the conference doesn't come close to the disaster that was the Ford debacle.

Underwood turns out to be a slimeball. More than a few of these guys are. Although not paying him and being in this position is worse. Which again, is nothing compared to the Ford fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.