USC and UCLA to the BIG10 in 2024

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 8, 2010
Markets don't matter near as much anymore and they won't matter at all soon. What matters is actual people watching the games. Please everyone stop bringing up markets.
Exactly! USC already gives the Big Ten the LA market but that didn’t keep them from also taking UCLA. Oregon would have given them a new market plus a better football program.

Dec 17, 2011
Tailgating stinks in Tuscon, different culture. The stadium needs a reno bad as well.
Id be okay with not arizona, but having ASU would be great. Ive followed them since I was a kid. Giving them an actual conference that cares about football would boost them to what they used to be.

Sep 9, 2013
Not sure why anyone would want to dump WVU.
WVU will be one of the better teams not getting into the SEC or BIG.
BYU is actually better than most of the remaining PAC schools.

No team from ACC can get out until 2030 earliest, and that still leaves them 6 years to buy out.

I think the big 12 will poach the 4 best pac teams to get to 16 and call it a day.

I dont think any remaining team in the big 12 is getting an invite to the BIG or SEC.

oregon and washington move the needle for the BIG, no one else.
Kansas could possibly get an invite to BIG for iconic hoops, but i doubt it. PAC teams are much better.

SEC will likely just wait and add VT, NC State, Clemson, and FSU in 2030.

Mar 29, 2014
Do the teams recently added to the Big 12 make it harder to attract teams from other conferences? Hard to split the $$$$ with so many teams.

Mar 29, 2014

No team from ACC can get out until 2030 earliest, and that still leaves them 6 years to buy out.

I think the big 12 will poach the 4 best pac teams to get to 16 and call it a day.

I dont think any remaining team in the big 12 is getting an invite to the BIG or SEC.

Kansas could possibly get an invite to BIG for iconic hoops, but i doubt it. PAC teams are much better.

At least Clemson and FSU.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor

Who knows what will happen, but we don't need WVU out of the Big XII. I don't understand wanting NC State and VT over OSU.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Exactly! USC already gives the Big Ten the LA market but that didn’t keep them from also taking UCLA. Oregon would have given them a new market plus a better football program.
Maybe the admin at USC had a backbone and said “we would be interested in coming but we’re bringing UCLA with us.”

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Do the teams recently added to the Big 12 make it harder to attract teams from other conferences? Hard to split the $$$$ with so many teams.
Most of the Pac12 have no choice at this point—they’ve got one option, which is us. The four we’ve already brought in are good programs with a lot of upside.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
As much as people on here want to claim it’s more about viewers than market…

Market still plays a major factor in those decisions.
Then explain the value of OU football to the SEC. OU is not in a "market"; the entire population of the state of Oklahoma is less than the population of the Dallas metro area. Why were they coveted by ESPN and the SEC? They have tradition, winning, and most of all top 10 average tv viewship per game. People watch their games. ESPN and Fox Sports networks provide the $$$; and they are calling the shots, and they are interested in viewers. There are more examples.

Getting a conference on tv in a new large market may have some purpose - Rutgers has just over 0.5 million viewers per game, but provided the BIG 10 access to the incredibly huge NYC market. Their are very few "markets" that are large enough for the sports networks to justify taking a team with less than 1.0 million viewers per game. In the majority of cases the valued teams must have high viewership per games.

It's what has killed the PAC 12. The conference has access to several large to huge markets, but unfortunately very few viewers in those markets were watching their games. Average viewership for mosts of the PAC 12 teams was low to very poor. Low average viewership killed their tv value.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
PAC, Big 12, and ACC commissioners trying to fight for their conferences to stay together but I doubt more than one or two survives after 2024.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
PAC, Big 12, and ACC commissioners trying to fight for their conferences to stay together but I doubt more than one or two survives after 2024.

Agreed. I don't see any way the PAC survives as a power conference. If the B1G moves to 20 it will be with more PAC additions.

Another fallout of this might be that the trans the big 12 is adding now never actually get added.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Possibly. Also BYU can provide challenges as some schools don't want to be affiliated with them.
I think Houston was a good add. Cincinnati doesn't bring eyeballs. UCF is all over the place. BYU brings eyeballs and quality, but there is a reason they were available.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
The marketplace has changed. Cable carrying fees is what got Maryland and Rutgers into the Big 10. Cable Carriers (like Comcast) were required to pay a premium to the Big 10 in Washington DC/ Maryland and NYC/ NJ.

The television contracts have changed and now live event eyeballs (for advertisers) weighs more heavily. The quality of the product matters significantly more.

May 26, 2012
This move is strictly about money and takes no account into the well being of the USC and UCLA non football athletes. The athletes in all the sports that play 30+ games for these two schools will be on the road constantly flying to the big 10 markets. These schools have a more rigorous academic program than most. Crazy that this is happening. Won’t affect football as much because it will only be a few game they have to travel for. Again, no regards given to these athletes whatsoever.