USC and UCLA to the BIG10 in 2024

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 9, 2013
I realize NIL and xfer portal have changed recruiting but is there a chance the SEC really missed the boat on this?

Most of us want to continue to play as many TX teams as possible to keep the pipeline open. Most recognize part of Nebraska’s problem is being cut off from TX.

If USC and UCLA were open to moving, the SEC had to have been asleep at the wheel. You just allowed the only conf w a shot at being your equal into one of the hottest recruiting spots.

Couple the move to the BiG and Lincoln at SC this has to cripple what has been a solid spot (including Vegas) for uo to pull in serious talent. That being shut off, along w TX and ATM’s resurgence in recruiting and NIL $ we could look back in a decade and see how bad this was for certain blue bloods.

I think w Gundy’s steady hand we will continue to do what we do and be successful.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
If not a part of the Big 2, I want no part of playing for the fbs division 2 championship.

If it gets to that I would be for dropping football or going div 3. That would separate us enough from the others where winning would matter and feel right.
So, below Southeastern in Durant and Cameron in Lawton? How do you think that will impact enrollment over 5 years? You all are crazy if you think anyone is giving up any money and access to hours of regional and national marketing. That's what the revenue sports mean to a university, marketing. They bring in students. They foster a culture which helps create belonging & identity which helps with funding of everything later.

The B1G brings in like $12-$15 billion in research grants every year, so the money is small change in that view. But research grants don't bring in every student, you need a public face. Sports does that better than anything.

We aren't dropping down to DIII, DII, or the FCS. We will play on the biggest stage we are allowed to.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
I don’t disagree. I just find it laughable that the illusion exists and we continue to play along with their pretentious horseshit.

Josh Rosen while at vaunted academic powerhouse UCLA said “class Is a waste of time, we came here to play football not play school.” So did Cardale Jones at (sticks nose in air and juts out lower jaw) AAU Ohio State.
Academics isn't about underclassmen, it is about research dollars and citations. The BIG makes tens of billions a year in research grants. They also have a somewhat collaborative environment between their universities that doesn't exist in the B12 and SEC, to help their research endeavours. When they say "academics" it is not about how rigorous an undergraduate education is, but about research dollars primarily. B1G clearly does care about that. They did bend the rule for Nebraska and are willing to for Notre Dame. No word if they are willing to for anyone else.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Phil Knight and Nike?
Nike Development League, which I posted earlier. Make it a player centric league geared towards collaborative NIL and post sports development opportunities. Drive with other big time Nike athletes like Serena, LeBron, Ronaldo, and players will flock to it. Build around player development and not TV deals. The TV will follow the talent, that’s what I think the conferences/schools are missing.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Academics isn't about underclassmen, it is about research dollars and citations. The BIG makes tens of billions a year in research grants. They also have a somewhat collaborative environment between their universities that doesn't exist in the B12 and SEC, to help their research endeavours. When they say "academics" it is not about how rigorous an undergraduate education is, but about research dollars primarily. B1G clearly does care about that. They did bend the rule for Nebraska and are willing to for Notre Dame. No word if they are willing to for anyone else.
Wonderful. I guess that’s why Evers graduated early and went to Ohio state for one season, cashed in his million dollar deal, then went back to Texas.

None of this is about academics. Full stop.

Sep 2, 2014
Wonderful. I guess that’s why Evers graduated early and went to Ohio state for one season, cashed in his million dollar deal, then went back to Texas.

None of this is about academics. Full stop.
Whether it is or isn’t about academics doesn’t really matter, the BIG has decided to push the narrative that it does to them and their members should have a certain status at the time of their admission into their conference that we do not have. And thus far they have stuck to it.

Dec 7, 2006
Nike Development League, which I posted earlier. Make it a player centric league geared towards collaborative NIL and post sports development opportunities. Drive with other big time Nike athletes like Serena, LeBron, Ronaldo, and players will flock to it. Build around player development and not TV deals. The TV will follow the talent, that’s what I think the conferences/schools are missing.
Except Nike, like ESPN and Fox, also exists to make money. They wouldn't cut out partnerships with other schools and conferences just because it's good for Oregon and maybe a whatever conference they're in. If they did, they wouldn't be very good at business, and Knight is really good at business. He'll continue to give a ton of money to Oregon because he's got the money to throw around. But he's not going to bail out Oregon's conference. If anything, he's just going to make a call to get them into the Big 10.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Whether it is or isn’t about academics doesn’t really matter, the BIG has decided to push the narrative that it does to them and their members should have a certain status at the time of their admission into their conference that we do not have. And thus far they have stuck to it.
It's not about the football team's academics - football is about winning. For the BIG it's about the institutions overall academic ranking, research dollars, etc., and the ability to qualify as a member of the Association of American Universities. Basically a academic snob club of mutual admirers.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Except Nike, like ESPN and Fox, also exists to make money. They wouldn't cut out partnerships with other schools and conferences just because it's good for Oregon and maybe a whatever conference they're in. If they did, they wouldn't be very good at business, and Knight is really good at business. He'll continue to give a ton of money to Oregon because he's got the money to throw around. But he's not going to bail out Oregon's conference. If anything, he's just going to make a call to get them into the Big 10.
I fail to see how doing a development league would preclude Nike from their other dealings with schools outside of the league. I’d also argue that he’s not bailing out Oregon’s conference and really creating a new venture. However it would be easiest to roll an existing conference entity into the new venture.

Sep 2, 2014
It's not about the football team's academics - football is about winning. For the BIG it's about the institutions overall academic ranking, research dollars, etc., and the ability to qualify as a member of the Association of American Universities. Basically a academic snob club of mutual admirers.
Agreed

Sep 9, 2013
reports on 247 that utah, colo. arz., and arz. state are exploring a jump to big 12. nothing specific. that would doom the PAC.

id favor eastern expansion with ACC teams, but the acc media deal will lock them in place. got to strike while iron is hot. it's either expand or be eaten at this point.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Football only conferences makes a lot of sense. Don’t understand how this concept is so far beyond people who run universities. You know, people who are supposed to be smart.

And yes, the transfer portal plus NIL is nothing but toxic.
Can you imagine the challenges of actually pulling that off, though? What would have to change? Would it be a for-profit business sponsored or run by the universities? Could they even be affiliated with the university under current laws? How would that impact non-revenue sports, Title IX requirements, NIL, staff payroll, etc...?

Only way I see college athletics being preserved is if new laws are passed. Because the institutions, media companies, and players (?) only seem to care about money.