USC and UCLA to the BIG10 in 2024

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
We will be in the SEC, unfortunately Pistol Pete has a venereal disease called "goonerhrea" He has had it so long he can't get rid of it. Symptoms are very similar to Raider Rash but comes with the need to sometimes cheer for goons due to a spouse or other family members faulty education choices or new goon WalMart gear.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
There is already a competitor to the SEC...the B1G. OSU's only option is to try to get into the SEC because they won't be able to get into the B1G due to the academics. Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, Colorado, Utah, North Carolina, and Duke are all AAU schools, meaning there are several viable schools to invite before changing their academic invitation rules. I think the only school the B1G waives that rule for is Notre Dame.
You’re absolutely right that we’re not on the B1G’s short list at the moment, but who knows what things will look like 10-20 years from now. My only point is that we’re better off with two mega-conferences competing with each other than with a single mega-conference that already owns OU.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I would expect 2 more AAU schools from the PAC12 to announce they are leaving for the B1G. I'm sure Oregon and Washington contacted the B1G as soon as they heard the news. That would include two of Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Cal, or Stanford. I think the AZ schools might also be AAU? I haven't looked it up lately.

If the B1G can crack the ACC's GOR, they would likely grab 4 of their AAU schools.

SEC looks to add at least Clemson, FSU, VT and 1 more (NCST?). I don't see them going any further west than they are currently.

I wonder if Missouri has contacted the B1G about jumping conferences?

With this news does Notre Dame consider it time to join a conference? Though, they can hold out longer than anyone, but is it time?

If your conference isn't named SEC or B1G, you better start consolidating to a regional group of 10 to 12 schools to save on expenses.

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
I would expect 2 more AAU schools from the PAC12 to announce they are leaving for the B1G. I'm sure Oregon and Washington contacted the B1G as soon as they heard the news. That would include two of Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Cal, or Stanford. I think the AZ schools might also be AAU? I haven't looked it up lately.
Arizona is and Arizona State is not.

Oct 30, 2007
We will be in the SEC, unfortunately Pistol Pete has a venereal disease called "goonerhrea" He has had it so long he can't get rid of it. Symptoms are very similar to Raider Rash but comes with the need to sometimes cheer for goons due to a spouse or other family members faulty education choices or new goon WalMart gear.
I see no chance of us in the SEC or big10. Basically, why would they invite a school for nothing? SEC already has OK market, would not gain one viewer. Big10 is snooty on false pretenses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mar 8, 2010
I see no chance of us in the SEC or big10. Basically, why would they invite a school for nothing? SEC already has OK market, would not gain one viewer. Big10 is snooty on false pretenses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Short sighted thinking! Brand recognition and overall quality of athletic program also comes into play at some point when making expansion decisions. Otherwise the Big Ten wouldn’t have shown an interest in both USC and UCLA when USC already gives them the LA market. If new mark were everything then they’d be interested in USC plus either Washington, Oregon or Utah. Don’t undersell our brand or the influence of salesmanship by a particular AD and/or college president.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
In no world does goonerhrea require you to root for the goons. Full stop. You’re referring to full blown goonerpes if your your symptoms flare up randomly and require to disclose why the outbreak occurred.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Short sighted thinking! Brand recognition and overall quality of athletic program also comes into play at some point when making expansion decisions. Otherwise the Big Ten wouldn’t have shown an interest in both USC and UCLA when USC already gives them the LA market. If new mark were everything then they’d be interested in USC plus either Washington, Oregon or Utah. Don’t undersell our brand or the influence of salesmanship by a particular AD and/or college president.
USC and UCLA are both elite academic institutions, and huge national brands. My guess is the B1G will also take Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford, which are also huge brands and/or elite academically. And that would take some of the scheduling/travel pressure off of USC/UCLA. There is no way OSU gets in either the SEC or B1G. Not happening. We don't have what they want. My guess is we take the AZ schools, CU and Utah; and Oregon State and Wazzu go to the MWC, because those two add no value.

Mar 8, 2010
USC and UCLA are both elite academic institutions, and huge national brands. My guess is the B1G will also take Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford, which are also huge brands and/or elite academically. And that would take some of the scheduling/travel pressure off of USC/UCLA. There is no way OSU gets in either the SEC or B1G. Not happening. We don't have what they want. My guess is we take the AZ schools, CU and Utah; and Oregon State and Wazzu go to the MWC, because those two add no value.
If only I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say “There is no way” So many experts weighing in on this with no inside information, just opinion on what they feel is infallible.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
If only I had a nickel for every time I heard someone say “There is no way” So many experts weighing in on this with no inside information, just opinion on what they feel is infallible.
This is not complicated. There’s nothing about OSU that fits either the SEC’s or B1G’s criteria. We’re a good program in a tiny market that OU already dominates.

Jan 14, 2006
I've been browsing the internet for info. Lots of smoke out there for us in both the SEC and the B1G but nothing substantial.

Looks like the most likely/coveted schools are:
Oregon
Washington
Notre Dame
Clemson
FSU
And us.

Seeing KU, Iowa St, UNC, GT, Miami, Stanford and Cal as possible movers as well.

Every version of a continued Big 12 or PAC 12 I've seen look like they will be a very distant 3rd at best. Fingers crossed Shrum and Weiberg can pull off a deal.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
This is not complicated. There’s nothing about OSU that fits either the SEC’s or B1G’s criteria. We’re a good program in a tiny market that OU already dominates.
Dude - at this point we should just burn the f**king thing to the ground right? Zero sum game, just nuke it all. No options exist that aren’t absolute trash.

Take a step back.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Not so fast my friend. The latest data I could find was the 2021 season, and depending on the data source we came in at 19th or 20th average tv audience, about 3 slots below UT's average viewership. And don't give me the no more UT/OU games - that is true for UT and virtually all of the top teams, they have rivalry games that juice their average. From a national tv standpoint we are one of the "best of the rest" if there are going to be two 20 team leagues. Our best bet (and our best fit) is the SEC. It could happen. TV viewership drives the decisions, so we should be strong contenders for further expansion.