USC and UCLA to the BIG10 in 2024

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 14, 2006
If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly eat crow, but I haven’t heard OSU discussed in any realistic expansion scenario.
You may be right that we're going to be left out but we're solidly in the "best of the rest" crowd.

Our brand and overall perception are the best they've ever been. Hopefully it's enough.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly eat crow, but I haven’t heard OSU discussed in any realistic expansion scenario.
There has not been any discussion in anything that really matters. This just happened, it will take time for the players to react. For now, it is just talking crows, but yes I've heard OSU talked about by Brett McMurphy as the best big 12 team to the SEC.

Also, ACC has no buy out and has a Grant of Rights until 2036. That pretty much makes ACC teams worthless to improving TV money. They would have to get the conference to dissolve to avoid it and that only happens if almost all of the conference has somewhere to go. Note, I don't know what their bylaws actually say for the specific number. However, it is going to be very difficult for the ACC to get raided. Big 12 and Pac are vulnerable right now. I can't see any way 4-6 ACC teams get taken right now.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf...utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=brettmcmurphy

Last edited:

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Average football TV viewership per the remaining free agent schools:
1. Notre Dame - (3.61M)
2. Clemson - (2.67M)
3. Florida State - (2.23M)
4. Oklahoma State - (1.64M)
5. Miami - (1.503M)
6. TCU - (1.495M)
7. Stanford - (1.43M)
8. Oregon - (1.34M)
9. Washington - (1.32M)
10. West Virginia - (1.27M)

My best bet is that Notre Dame and a few more Pac 12 schools go to the B1G to get them to 20.

The ACC has a TV deal that locks their schools in until 2036. Any team that left early would have to pay a $52M exit fee and forfeit their TV rights for the next 14 years! The only way that could happen is if enough teams left to dissolve their conference.

If the SEC plans to go to 20 teams anytime soon, we may have a real shot at getting an invite. They don't care about academic prestige, and we bring TV viewers.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
Average football TV viewership per the remaining free agent schools:
1. Notre Dame - (3.61M)
2. Clemson - (2.67M)
3. Florida State - (2.23M)
4. Oklahoma State - (1.64M)
5. Miami - (1.503M)
6. TCU - (1.495M)
7. Stanford - (1.43M)
8. Oregon - (1.34M)
9. Washington - (1.32M)
10. West Virginia - (1.27M)

My best bet is that Notre Dame and a few more Pac 12 schools go to the B1G to get them to 20.

The ACC has a TV deal that locks their schools in until 2036. Any team that left early would have to pay a $52M exit fee and forfeit their TV rights for the next 14 years! The only way that could happen is if enough teams left to dissolve their conference.

If the SEC plans to go to 20 teams anytime soon, we may have a real shot at getting an invite. They don't care about academic prestige, and we bring TV viewers.
And above 7 sec schools

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
We're probably getting close to Congress stepping into the collegiate leadership vacuum in the interests of universities about to be left out in the cold financially.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
There has not been any discussion in anything that really matters. This just happened, it will take time for the players to react. For now, it is just talking crows, but yes I've heard OSU talked about by Brett McMurphy as the best big 12 team to the SEC.

Also, ACC has no buy out and has a Grant of Rights until 2036. That pretty much makes ACC teams worthless to improving TV money. They would have to get the conference to dissolve to avoid it and that only happens if almost all of the conference has somewhere to go. Note, I don't know what their bylaws actually say for the specific number. However, it is going to be very difficult for the ACC to get raided. Big 12 and Pac are vulnerable right now. I can't see any way 4-6 ACC teams get taken right now.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf...utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=brettmcmurphy
ACC is just the Big East ready to happen all over again once Clemson, FSU, Miami leave. Nothing but a basketball conference after that.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
ACC is just the Big East ready to happen all over again once Clemson, FSU, Miami leave. Nothing but a basketball conference after that.
How? Big East had something like a 20 mil exit fee back in the day. That isn't the case now. It is a GRANT OF RIGHTS! I was feeling pretty hopeless until I read about it lasting until 2036. Just to be clear, this doesn't mean the exit fee is equal to their cut through 2036 as some seem to be saying (something around 400 million). it means the ACC OWNS their rights until 2036. If Clemson or FSU left for the SEC, the ACC would get all the TV money Clemson made playing in the SEC until 2036. Who would sign up for that?

Last edited:

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
So here is my prediction Big Ten continues and takes Washington and Oregon. This is enough to scare ND into moving who only has Grant of Rights in Olympic sports. That can probably be negotiated out of. Finally, they finish off by taking someone else. Probably Cal or Stanford, but ISU and KU are a possibility too.

So now what does the SEC do? If they are locked out of taking ACC schools as I believe that means the remaining Big 12 is it. They might be better sitting pat, but taking the last profitable bits from the B1G also means less pulling money from their contract. It is the death nail in the western teams. I would say the best options are in this order.

1. Oklahoma State
2. West Virginia
3. Kansas

After that it get really muddled. Who know then. Baylor is probably the most attractive for revenue, but they have baggage. Even the SEC might want to steer away from adding more schools with religious affiliations. About the only thing I'm sure of is the KSU is likely at the bottom of the list. Also, don't rule out any of the schools the Big 12 is scheduled to add. They have real potential and huge alumni bases.

I hate to say it, but we should all be hoping that OU is working REALLY hard in our favor right now. That could mean the difference.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
The Grant of Rights contracts have never been tested in court. There is some question as to whether they would be enforceable. So far, the fear of losing that court battle has been enough to keep anyone from testing the waters. I wonder if the risk of getting left behind in this new shuffle would be enough for some ACC teams (Clemson, FSU,…) to take it to court and try to seek a much lower settlement. With that in mind, it’s not 100% that we won’t see an ACC team or two jumó on the merry-go-round.

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
The Grant of Rights contracts have never been tested in court. There is some question as to whether they would be enforceable. So far, the fear of losing that court battle has been enough to keep anyone from testing the waters. I wonder if the risk of getting left behind in this new shuffle would be enough for some ACC teams (Clemson, FSU,…) to take it to court and try to seek a much lower settlement. With that in mind, it’s not 100% that we won’t see an ACC team or two jumó on the merry-go-round.
This was discussed on espn today. would definitely be interesting if this was tested. Could see the in demand ACC schools testing it if dominoes continue to fall.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
So here is my prediction Big Ten continues and takes Washington and Oregon. This is enough to scare ND into moving who only has Grant of Rights in Olympic sports. That can probably be negotiated out of. Finally, they finish off by taking someone else. Probably Cal or Stanford, but ISU and KU are a possibility too.

So now what does the SEC do? If they are locked out of taking ACC schools as I believe that means the remaining Big 12 is it. They might be better sitting pat, but taking the last profitable bits from the B1G also means less pulling money from their contract. It is the death nail in the western teams. I would say the best options are in this order.

1. Oklahoma State
2. West Virginia
3. Kansas

After that it get really muddled. Who know then. Baylor is probably the most attractive for revenue, but they have baggage. Even the SEC might want to steer away from adding more schools with religious affiliations. About the only thing I'm sure of is the KSU is likely at the bottom of the list. Also, don't rule out any of the schools the Big 12 is scheduled to add. They have real potential and huge alumni bases.

I hate to say it, but we should all be hoping that OU is working REALLY hard in our favor right now. That could mean the difference.

I was thinking same...

1656644879507.png

Dec 9, 2013
I don’t see a way into the BiG. SEC maybe. But what would be interesting is for the networks to broker a deal for a third conference that takes the best of the rest. Lets FSU, Clemson, Miami & 1 other fold into the SEC and Oregon, Washington, Stanford & ND into BiG. Then take the best of the remainders and fold them into a 3rd 20 team conference. By networks brokering and splitting the ACC you basically dissolve it and negotiate away the media rights by paying more to get someone into the 3rd conf. The 3rd conference PAC/ACC/Big12 would be very competitive (maybe not w top of BiG or SEC) and probably worth a little less media rights money but would still be worth more than what they currently or soon will have.

Also sweeten the pot by guaranteeing cross conf rivalry games every yr like OSU vs uo (as much as I don’t want to ever play them again) so that you still get those eyeballs.

What would a 20 team PAC/ACC/Big12 3rd conf look like?

OSU/Baylor/BYU/WVU/Ks
Az/ASU/Utah/CU
NC/NCSt/Duke/Louisville/Pitt/Va/VaTech

Then pick 4 more.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
That could take years to work out. New TV contacts will be long in the books by that point. The courts are not going to make anything happen fast enough to be before any action and no school is going to leave and take the chance they would be without TV money for a decade.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor

1. Oklahoma State
2. West Virginia
3. Kansas

Like I said we have goonerhrea

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I don’t see a way into the BiG. SEC maybe. But what would be interesting is for the networks to broker a deal for a third conference that takes the best of the rest. Lets FSU, Clemson, Miami & 1 other fold into the SEC and Oregon, Washington, Stanford & ND into BiG. Then take the best of the remainders and fold them into a 3rd 20 team conference. By networks brokering and splitting the ACC you basically dissolve it and negotiate away the media rights by paying more to get someone into the 3rd conf. The 3rd conference PAC/ACC/Big12 would be very competitive (maybe not w top of BiG or SEC) and probably worth a little less media rights money but would still be worth more than what they currently or soon will have.

Also sweeten the pot by guaranteeing cross conf rivalry games every yr like OSU vs uo (as much as I don’t want to ever play them again) so that you still get those eyeballs.

What would a 20 team PAC/ACC/Big12 3rd conf look like?

OSU/Baylor/BYU/WVU/Ks
Az/ASU/Utah/CU
NC/NCSt/Duke/Louisville/Pitt/Va/VaTech

Then pick 4 more.
Here is the interesting point about contracts made by a state entity, they technically have to be approved by a governing board every year. Most of the votes are "automatic" but they still have to be held. Technically that 14 year grant of rights would become null if a board of regents didn't renew it annually.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Here's a fact and it's a real fact. Oklahoma State will never be a member of the SEC. It's not going to happen. Ever.

We're gonna have to face the fact that OSU will never be a member of any super conference either. It's not happening. That's reality, people. It sucks. But it is what it is. We can all dream tho, and unfortunately... Dreaming and hoping is all OSU has.

If I were you tho, I'd prepare for the inevitability of OSU being in a crap conference for the rest of time. The new Big 12 sucks so badly that it's disgusting. But we might as well pull our big boy pants up because it is what it is and it will remain that way for decades to come.

Mar 29, 2014
Not so fast my friend. The latest data I could find was the 2021 season, and depending on the data source we came in at 19th or 20th average tv audience, about 3 slots below UT's average viewership. And don't give me the no more UT/OU games - that is true for UT and virtually all of the top teams, they have rivalry games that juice their average. From a national tv standpoint we are one of the "best of the rest" if there are going to be two 20 team leagues. Our best bet (and our best fit) is the SEC. It could happen. TV viewership drives the decisions, so we should be strong contenders for further expansion.
Where do we rank if you remove the bedlam and Texas games?