Football Vonn Bell

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

osu_cowboy_007

Territorial Marshal
Sep 21, 2008
Dallas
Well I apolgize if I got a little harsh. My bad. However it seems like you are negative and you are starting to piss me off. Can't speak for everybody else but that's just me. I don't any problem with being objective saying we aren't the first choice of Texas kids. However, we are doing more than just getting overlooked talent.

We are getting some 4 stars guys to come play for us now. Also used to OSU didn't get Texas Top 100 guys or great players in Oklahoma. I believe OSU got 9 players off the Texas top 100 list this year to sign. We used to get zero! All of that is changing, quite living in the past. Of course we are going to lose some recruiting battles to Texas and OU but we are beating OU on some guys now. We beat OU on several guys last y ear a few more in the past. Quite being a negative nancy is all I'm saying. If you aren't trying to be this I apologize.
This is not true, we always get few Texas top100 players but there is a big difference between top20 players vs bottom 20 players in the list. Right now we are a big time offer for most of the HS kids, we just need to close the deals, this is where we are struggling little bit, IMHO.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I'm talking about pre Les Miles then Gundy days. OSU hardly got any of them before them. I think Simmons got a couple during his few years. Tatum Bell, Degrate, that's about it.
Anyway we agree we are doing better. It takes time but some of these three star kids are well though of man. Tshimanga is a 3 star which is silly. He is 6'2 and verticals 38'. Dez had a 38 inch vertical. That's insane, also Alabama offered Tshimanga. Stars arent' everything. Alabama and other bigtime schools have some 3 stars guys on their lists also.

Jan 31, 2012
I just looked- OSU got 7 players off of the Texas Top 100 list. We used to get ZERO. we are not just getting ok little players. This false idea bugs me. We are getting good football players. Lunt was a 4 star recruit- top 7 QB in the United States. 2 lineman in this class are bigtime prospects. CJ Curry is a national type recruit- 4 star WR that committed to Georgia then switched to play for us. Also Blake Jackson, we out recruited OU to get him. Bigtime TE prospect. Don't kid yourself, also Tshimanga can flat play. as long with Seth Jacobs, 4 star lb. We are getting some dudes now.
I agree we are getting good talent and winning. I was just stating that I don't think we will ever be a powerhouse recruiting school like an OU, Texas, USC etc.. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that, we are winning and making strides. Not trying to be negative in the slightest. Just think its an unrealistic expectation.

Jan 31, 2012
I'm talking about pre Les Miles then Gundy days. OSU hardly got any of them before them. I think Simmons got a couple during his few years. Tatum Bell, Degrate, that's about it.
Anyway we agree we are doing better. It takes time but some of these three star kids are well though of man. Tshimanga is a 3 star which is silly. He is 6'2 and verticals 38'. Dez had a 38 inch vertical. That's insane, also Alabama offered Tshimanga. Stars arent' everything. Alabama and other bigtime schools have some 3 stars guys on their lists also.
A poster on this thread awhile back said that it would take 4-5 years of domination to start recruting like the major players and I was just saying because of who we we recruit against and our recruiting area that im not sure we will ever be on par with what are considered major players. I apologize if I come off negative. We are a good team and have good players. Im happy with what we get and don't wanna compare what we have to OU or Texas than rationalize it out why the lower ranked guy we got is better than the higher ranked guy they got. I don't care who they recruited I just want results and that s what we are getting. Just like people putting down RGIII or Tannehill just because they are going to be picked over Brandon Weeden.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
the state of Alabama has way more talent than oklahoma. There aren't many blue chip players that come out of Oklahoma and when they do its either OU or out of state for the most part. They are in the heart of the SEC where there is a wealth of talent to go around. We recruit Texas and we aren't usually the first, second, third, and sometimes fourth choice for Texas kids. That isn't true 100% of the time but a lot of the time. I think the coaches do a good job of finding kids that wanna play here and overlooked talent.
Chief, they have more numbers in Texas but Oklahoma high schools have produced the following players recently:

Jason White, OU, Sam Bradford, Brandon Weeden, Justin Blackmon, Ryan Broyles, Josh Cooper, Gerald McCoy. Just to name a few. You sir are a silly person. Yes, Texas and other states have more D1 players but I would argue when Oklahoma high schools are up none have better players. Lee Roy Selmon was from Oklahoma too along with many other great players-- Rashaun Woods. Get a clue bud.
Samuel - Maybe I am missing your point, but the average player in Oklahoma is right there with the average player in Alabama. Per capita, Oklahoma usually ranks around #5 in the country in terms of DI recruits. Alabama is also a great producer of talent, but I would not downgrade the talent in Oklahoma, just the population.

The only problem is that it does not leave a lot of players between us, OU, Arkansas, and the occasional Texas or Kansas school.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1182411

http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/content/items/starsearchmetroscapita.pdf

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...-For-top-recruits-it-s-still?urn=ncaaf-319166

http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=259347

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
Well I apolgize if I got a little harsh. My bad. However it seems like you are negative and you are starting to piss me off. Can't speak for everybody else but that's just me. I don't any problem with being objective saying we aren't the first choice of Texas kids. However, we are doing more than just getting overlooked talent.

We are getting some 4 stars guys to come play for us now. Also used to OSU didn't get Texas Top 100 guys or great players in Oklahoma. I believe OSU got 9 players off the Texas top 100 list this year to sign. We used to get zero! All of that is changing, quite living in the past. Of course we are going to lose some recruiting battles to Texas and OU but we are beating OU on some guys now. We beat OU on several guys last y ear a few more in the past. Quite being a negative nancy is all I'm saying. If you aren't trying to be this I apologize.
Vonn Bell is from Georgia...

Oct 10, 2006
Tuttle, OK
I just looked- OSU got 7 players off of the Texas Top 100 list. We used to get ZERO. we are not just getting ok little players. This false idea bugs me. We are getting good football players. Lunt was a 4 star recruit- top 7 QB in the United States. 2 lineman in this class are bigtime prospects. CJ Curry is a national type recruit- 4 star WR that committed to Georgia then switched to play for us. Also Blake Jackson, we out recruited OU to get him. Bigtime TE prospect. Don't kid yourself, also Tshimanga can flat play. as long with Seth Jacobs, 4 star lb. We are getting some dudes now.

Best part of the post.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
I like getting a few really high rated recruits along with some sleepers. We always fair better with sleeper prospects! Honestly, I think we have a better chance of winning the big 12 with sleepers than 5 star players.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
I like getting a few really high rated recruits along with some sleepers. We always fair better with sleeper prospects! Honestly, I think we have a better chance of winning the big 12 with sleepers than 5 star players.

While it can be done. Let's be honest our coaches make an effort for the elite recruits but sometimes we end up taking our 2nd or 3rd choice and still develop them into good players, but imagine what our coaching staff could with the likes of a Treadwell, Vonn Bell, Priest Willis, Tenpenny, or Prevot

I think we have a shot at anyone if we can just get them here for a visit.