WH announces US removal from Syria...announces turning over all US held ISIS fighters to Syria

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
Our troops are STILL in the region! Per the Pentagon they were Redeployed in the same country. This time in the South instead of the North. And we sent 3K more troops to Saudi Arabia to up our count to over 14k troops there.

We are still perpetually in the ME...including Syria

All Trump did was tear down the fire wall that was holding these two apart (against the judgement of his own advisers)....let them go at it for a week + where 100's died.....Then threw up a new firewall and claimed he saved Millions of lives in doing so.

All while moving US troops from one side of the country to the other while claiming he withdrew them...surrendering a few US bases in the process to Russia ....Nothing has changed...except for the fact that instead of Kurdish US allies holding ISIS prisoners ...the Kurds will now have to leave their homeland and the ISIS prisons behind to be handed over to Turkey which is very much a pro Islamic expansionist ideal driven country.
https://www.axios.com/where-us-troops-deployed-middle-east-5e96fdb2-c7ba-4f26-90b4-7bf452f83847.html
Sorry for the confusion. We've had a military pretense in the Middle East for a long time. We probably always will. But there's a big difference between having a strategic military base on friendly soil and being right in the middle of a civil war torn country.

It was my understanding that we pulled 1000 troops out of northern Syria, and we're planning to redeploy 50-100 to southern Syria to monitor for the return of ISIS. I would prefer the complete removal of our troops from Syria, but this might be best considering the volatility of the situation.

This entire thing seems like problem with no real solution.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Kurd leader goes on live TV and says the Kurds accept the Cease Fire but do not accept the terms of withdrawal
Very Poor choice of words POTUS
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1184897777941307392

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Wouldn't it be more wise to keep the sanctions in place until Turkey complies fully with the deal??

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1184887706335285248
No, it'd be wiser to pretend you know all the ins & outs of what's being negotiated chasing tweets.

We're less than 24 hours from "oh god, Erdogon's not gonna meet with Pence!!", to having an agreement in place & a cease-fire.

Do you ever step back & look at the timeframes of some of these events & see how erroneous & wild the initial reports are when compared to the actual outcomes??? Ever??

You flipped out over the whole Iran shooting down a drone episode. Same with North Korea. I've lost track of all the others, frankly.

I knew people like you when I worked in the news media. Wanting, just wanting EVERYTHING to turn into a truly big story, only to see it blow over like a fart in the wind.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
We're less than 24 hours from "oh god, Erdogon's not gonna meet with Pence!!", to having an agreement in place & a cease-fire.
You do realize that was the reality of what happened....Erdogon said he wouldn't meet (his actual words) to having an agreement in place in 24 hrs.

This is the pace at which reality is changing in this environment. I didn't create that...it actually happened.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You do realize that was the reality of what happened....Erdogon said he wouldn't meet (his actual words) to having an agreement in place in 24 hrs.

This is the pace at which reality is changing in this environment. I didn't create that...it actually happened.
Yes, I realize that saber-rattling & negotiating publicly are the world we live in, for better or worse, & I'd lean toward the latter on that.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Wouldn't it be more wise to keep the sanctions in place until Turkey complies fully with the deal??
The sanctions were created and announced in less than a week, pretty sure we could do it again just as quick.

Seriously, must we criticize every single thing that Trump does, no matter what? If he had kept them in place I suspect you would have questioned the wisdom of that too. Trump can't win with some people.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The sanctions were created and announced in less than a week, pretty sure we could do it again just as quick.

Seriously, must we criticize every single thing that Trump does? If he had kept them in place I suspect you would questioned the wisdom of that too
We should question everything our govt does with our money and our elected officials..they work for us

And Trump has done and said questionable things no other POTUS in US history has done

He invites and some times dares is to question him

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
We should question everything our govt does with our money and our elected officials..they work for us

And Trump has done and said questionable things no other POTUS in US history has done

He invites and some times dares is to question him
It's not the questioning by itself that bothers me....I've said it before, I wish every politician in DC would be subject to the same level of scrutiny that Trump has been. It ticks me off that they won't be.

My bigger point wasn't so much the questioning but the blind questioning. If Trump removes the sanctions, he gets criticized: "Is it wise to remove the sanctions before Turkey complies fully with the deal". But if Trump would've left the sanction in place he would have been criticized for that too: "Is it wise to leave the sanctions in place even after Turkey agreed to the deal". It's lose/lose no matter what he does for some people.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1182666679236616194
I brushed this off when I first read it, but the more I've though about it the more it pissed me off. Mr. Graham, Turkey assisted us in the fight against radical Islam as well. How easy do you think it would have been to recruit partners for that task in the future if we had thrown them under the bus?
Say what you will about Trump, but he at least appears to be looking at the issue as a libertarian. There's 5 million people who voted for Johnson in 2016 who might like that. Graham obviously does not.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
I brushed this off when I first read it, but the more I've though about it the more it pissed me off. Mr. Graham, Turkey assisted us in the fight against radical Islam as well. How easy do you think it would have been to recruit partners for that task in the future if we had thrown them under the bus?
Say what you will about Trump, but he at least appears to be looking at the issue as a libertarian. There's 5 million people who voted for Johnson in 2016 who might like that. Graham obviously does not.
Neither do the Kurds I’m told.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Neither do the Kurds I’m told.
I'd like to see the Kurds have their own country but it's not the job of the US military to fight that battle.

During Bush's 2nd term, the Dems would've happily left every Kurd in northern Iraq to fend for themselves if it meant bringing our forces out of that country (even some reps too). Funny how the pendulum always swings and opinions are based more in political reasons than any other.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
I'd like to see the Kurds have their own country but it's not the job of the US military to fight that battle.

During Bush's 2nd term, the Dems would've happily left every Kurd in northern Iraq to fend for themselves if it meant bringing our forces out of that country (even some reps too). Funny how the pendulum always swings and opinions are based more in political reasons than any other.
Sorry I just don’t think there’s anything funny about this swing, the decision, or the abandonment.