What to expect on defense

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSU's defense will be...

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I sure hope the pokes tackle better than Florida and Miami do. Tackling in football seems optional now.
I think it has more to do with the targeting calls making tacklers less effective IMHO.
I think it’s the exact opposite. All the players want is the big hit. It looks great on all the highlight reels.

What missing is good fundamental tackling which entails wrapping up the ball carrier. It doesn’t look sexy and won’t get you on Sportscenter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
>people still using PPG in the year of our Lord 2019
When people use yards given up per game...
I use both statistics as a measure of how good our defense is. You have to grade on a curve though because of the high number of series you face in the Big 12. Scoring defense is obviously more important than total defense. Turnovers are important too. They were a big part of our 2011 season.

I've always believed that we need to become a top 50 team defensively to take the next step forward as a program. It sounds easy, but Coach Gundy has only done it twice in his career. We were ranked as high as 19th back in 2013, but we've really fallen off since then. Iowa State & TCU have done it over the past few years. It's definitely an achievable goal, but we'll probably have to recruit at a little higher level to get there.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I use both statistics as a measure of how good our defense is. You have to grade on a curve though because of the high number of series you face in the Big 12. Scoring defense is obviously more important than total defense. Turnovers are important too. They were a big part of our 2011 season.

I've always believed that we need to become a top 50 team defensively to take the next step forward as a program. It sounds easy, but Coach Gundy has only done it twice in his career. We were ranked as high as 19th back in 2013, but we've really fallen off since then. Iowa State & TCU have done it over the past few years. It's definitely an achievable goal, but we'll probably have to recruit at a little higher level to get there.
They’re junk stats because they don’t take into account the number of snaps the defense sees due to opponent possessions compared to other teams on the same ranking.

And then there are other factors as well, such as SOS, that those stats don’t take into mind.

Use this:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef/2018

It takes into account all of the above mentioned factors to give a much more fair and accurate ranking.

Oct 30, 2007
They’re junk stats because they don’t take into account the number of snaps the defense sees due to opponent possessions compared to other teams on the same ranking.

And then there are other factors as well, such as SOS, that those stats don’t take into mind.

Use this:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef/2018

It takes into account all of the above mentioned factors to give a much more fair and accurate ranking.
I would argue that they aren't really junk stats if you adjust your expectations based off the pace of our offense and the offenses we face in the Big 12. A top 50 defense in the Big 12 is probably the equivalency of a top 30 defense in another league. At least that's the way I've always viewed it.

If you look at the advanced metrics from your link, we were still 94th in the country last year and we haven't been in the top 50 since 2013. So the advanced metrics tell a similar story to total defense & scoring defense.

It would make a huge difference to this program if we could get back to where we were defensively back in 2013. That defense was really good. I sure wish that Gilbert would've held onto that interception in the bedlam game. That team really deserved a Big 12 championship.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I like to go with the most basic statistic of “Did we win the game”! If we win a game then the defense was good enough to win the game and I don’t care about any stat beyond that. If we are 120th in PPG and YPG and we win every game then I couldn’t care less!

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I think the offense will be better at getting first downs this season and that alone will improve the defense. We're not going from 100 to 25 but somewhere around 50th is a really good spot for this league.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I would argue that they aren't really junk stats if you adjust your expectations based off the pace of our offense and the offenses we face in the Big 12. A top 50 defense in the Big 12 is probably the equivalency of a top 30 defense in another league. At least that's the way I've always viewed it.

If you look at the advanced metrics from your link, we were still 94th in the country last year and we haven't been in the top 50 since 2013. So the advanced metrics tell a similar story to total defense & scoring defense.

It would make a huge difference to this program if we could get back to where we were defensively back in 2013. That defense was really good. I sure wish that Gilbert would've held onto that interception in the bedlam game. That team really deserved a Big 12 championship.
The link I provided adjusts for the pace of our offense and the pace of offenses we face.

We were still a subpar defense last season, no doubt.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
If we win 49-42 everyone for the most part is happy. If we win 7-0 it will be a disaster.

Point is it’s easier to accept poor defensive efforts but we demand offensive performance if for no other reason than the entertainment value

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
If we win 49-42 everyone for the most part is happy. If we win 7-0 it will be a disaster.

Point is it’s easier to accept poor defensive efforts but we demand offensive performance if for no other reason than the entertainment value

I expect a huge defensive improvement for Jim Knowles’ men. They have talent. Granted, we haven’t seen a lot of good overall results, but the pieces are there. I think we’re going to see some amazing turnaround stuff.
We are a dark horse and I think we’ll be playing for the Big 12 Championship.

But, I’m all jacked up on Jack Daniels and Mountain Dew so......

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Play like you practice. So many programs have gone to thud outside of games. Even high schools are doing it.
Seems like practicing tackling was stressed a lot more in the past, but as the season wore on, less time was spent on tackling drills for many reasons -- one, you're more practiced at it, two, your body has been taking a pounding and not as fresh as it was earlier and three, the team needs the bodies to finish out the year.

But, by thudding, one is going to look less skilled in the early games. Perhaps that's why Gundy loves having patsies early, too. Not just the easy win, everyone plays and we get out with few injuries.

It's a tough call for coaches, but I don't think the players mind saving their bodies for game day.

Dec 21, 2008
Would rather have missed tackles than a stupid injury at practice. Practices are not run like they were 10+ yrs ago. Gundys 2nd or 3rd yr he went out to meet with Pete Carroll and came back and changed practice scripts. Went a lot shorter practice and super uptempo. Then they brought in Dana then Todd and it got faster. You cannot possibly tackle 100+/practice and be fresh enough to play an entire season. Football creates injuries so you lower risks any way you can.