Wheres the problem?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
this was on the msn startup screeen
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddr...r-70-hours-of-work/ar-BBZY536?ocid=spartanntp

https://www.tiktok.com/@f.aa.ded/video/6787098794724003078

A girl is posting a video of her paycheck as a bartender and is saying this is why you always tip. I get it her paycheck was 9 dollars for 70 hour worked. She was obviously trying to not show the total tips that were turned in to the business. 700 plus dollars. She was complaining about paying ssi and medicare (hope shes not a bernie bro). Her total paycheck was 850 dollars +. She basically got 10/hr in tips. I know that not all tips get turned it, like cash tips.

she is getting basically 12 per hour with her tips and hourly

Last edited:

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I think the problem is the bar and restaurant industry has used ploys like this to get us to pay their worker's wages for them. How about they get paid a fair wage and I tip when they do something worthy of extra money?

And, when I order at a counter, the screen giving 18,20, and 25% as options to tip something that has not happened yet and really isn't tip worthy at all is outrageous.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I think the problem is the bar and restaurant industry has used ploys like this to get us to pay their worker's wages for them. How about they get paid a fair wage and I tip when they do something worthy of extra money?

And, when I order at a counter, the screen giving 18,20, and 25% as options to tip something that has not happened yet and really isn't tip worthy at all is outrageous.
I agree , but she is compensated.

Aug 16, 2012
I have been a 1099 employee for so long I do not remember everything about withholdings so help me if I make a mistake.

She worked 70 hours at $2.13/hour for a total of $150.81.

SS is withheld as 6.2%, medicare at $1.45% for a total of 7.65% or $11.53 for a total of $139.27. The front of rear of the check clearly states she paid $0 in taxes.

So, she either has some other optional withholding, or, more likely, it is a clerical error since $9.27 is almost exactly (with a rounding variance) $130 less that what she should have received. There is no required withholding that would take 94% of her check.

This is completely bogus.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I have been a 1099 employee for so long I do not remember everything about withholdings so help me if I make a mistake.

SS is withheld as 6.2%, medicare at $1.45% for a total of 7.65% or $11.53 for a total of $139.27. The front of rear of the check clearly states she paid $0 in taxes.

So, she either has some other optional withholding, or, more likely, it is a clerical error since $9.27 is almost exactly (with a rounding variance) $130 less that what she should have received. There is no required withholding that would take 94% of her check.

These things usually are. Like the fake notes on the receipts trashing them for being an alphabet person, or working on Sundays.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

I'm guessing it is tip withholding tax.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

At least when I was a server, back when dinosaurs walked the Earth, you reported your tips at the end of the shift. Taxes on tips was then taken from you hourly pay check.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I'm guessing it is tip withholding tax.
Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2011
I was a waiter (a real shitty one) so I can recognize when someone excels where I was lacking. Waiting tables or working bar or food service for tips is a great experience for everyone to have. It really shows when you have dinner with someone who never was a waiter/waitress.

I'm sure that when I was a waiter, I would have LOVED making a base salary ("a living wage") and not had to rely on tips. That's because I sucked at my job. Tips incentivize good service.

1. Try to tip in cash.
2. If you can't afford to tip, go eat fast food.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
this really freakin annoys me. you punched my order into a terminal, and i am expected to pay a tip for that?

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Are the suggested tip amounts calculated on the pre-tax or after-tax totals? I don't like the idea of tipping on tax.
I would think it goes off pre-tax but I've never paid that close attention because it's really not a big deal for me.

I used to just double the tax for my tip because I knew that was about 15ish%... That is until I went somewhere on business and while in the rush to pay the tab for our group didn't notice that the tax rate there was MUCH less than our tax rate here. It was still a tip but much lower than I'd normally give % wise. Didn't realize it until I was in the parking lot and started to actually run the numbers in my head because it felt off. I actually felt pretty bad about it. Now I actually do the math and don't rely on the sales tax. 20% is my starting point but goes up or down based on how good the service is.

The only places I don't mind this is at a few coffee shops I occasionally go to since the person ringing me up is usually the person that makes my coffee. And by make, I mean actually make. Not just walk a cup over to a batch of coffee that was "made' a few hours ago and pull the lever on the spout...

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I was a waiter (a real shitty one) so I can recognize when someone excels where I was lacking. Waiting tables or working bar or food service for tips is a great experience for everyone to have. It really shows when you have dinner with someone who never was a waiter/waitress.

I'm sure that when I was a waiter, I would have LOVED making a base salary ("a living wage") and not had to rely on tips. That's because I sucked at my job. Tips incentivize good service.

1. Try to tip in cash.
2. If you can't afford to tip, go eat fast food.
I'm not saying get rid of the concept of tipping to incentivize good service. I'm saying that for most of my life a crap tip was 10% and a good/normal tip was 15%. Now, it is 20% and 25%. Are we getting way better service than when we only tipped 15%? No, we are paying wages.

Jul 22, 2011
I'm not saying get rid of the concept of tipping to incentivize good service. I'm saying that for most of my life a crap tip was 10% and a good/normal tip was 15%. Now, it is 20% and 25%. Are we getting way better service than when we only tipped 15%? No, we are paying wages.
I wouldn't disagree with those numbers. 10% bare minimum. 25% or more for great service or if you have a baby/toddler with you. Wages is a good enough term for it. The cooks and managers work for the restaurant, the service staff works for the customer (more or less).

[addendum] The order at the counter screen tipping is total BS. No Papa John's, you don't get a tip unless you bring the pizza to my door.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Until your dishes are dirty, or the food sucks.
The only reason either of those should affect your servers tip is if you say something and they don't do anything about it... I've never worked in food but even still I don't let things like that affect my servers tip. I just let that affect if I end up coming back or not.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The only reason either of those should affect your servers tip is if you say something and they don't do anything about it... I've never worked in food but even still I don't let things like that affect my servers tip. I just let that affect if I end up coming back or not.
So something like a hair in your food doesn't affect your experience at a restaurant?