Who can agree that....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
OK. So, I just went to change my voter registration and found out I can't really do that in Texas. Party affiliation is established either by taking an oath of affiliation or by voting in a party's primary. It expires at the end of the calendar year. So, I am unaffiliated until I vote in another primary.

Guess I can call myself an independent now.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
OK. So, I just went to change my voter registration and found out I can't really do that in Texas. Party affiliation is established either by taking an oath of affiliation or by voting in a party's primary. It expires at the end of the calendar year. So, I am unaffiliated until I vote in another primary.

Guess I can call myself an independent now.
Welcome to the club. It's nice in most states, except Oklahoma where the last time I lived there, I couldn't vote in a primary unless I was registered with that party. I changed my registration at least six times.

Sep 12, 2008
Welcome to the club. It's nice in most states, except Oklahoma where the last time I lived there, I couldn't vote in a primary unless I was registered with that party. I changed my registration at least six times.
Currently the Dems will allow Independents to vote in their primaries, but the GOP will not.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I'm to the point where I'd take two NON-politicians over anything in, around, or of Washington. Smurf the whole lot.

I'd seriously vote a Dwayne Johnson/Mike Rowe ticket and not blink an eye. They could not be any worse than what we've had the last ~6 years (or what keeps getting mentioned as the possible future). :glare::cursing::poo:
I think we need to quit thinking that any individuals are going to be able to really fix things. Sure, it might be briefly better until they succumb to the same thing that pulls in
all of the others. The system has become perpetually flawed and the perverse incentives will continue that problem unless we the people quit bickering and agree to force the politicians to create some fundamental change that might not be in their personal best interest.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I think we need to quit thinking that any individuals are going to be able to really fix things. Sure, it might be briefly better until they succumb to the same thing that pulls in
all of the others. The system has become perpetually flawed and the perverse incentives will continue that problem unless we the people quit bickering and agree to force the politicians to create some fundamental change that might not be in their personal best interest.
110% agree

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I’m a moderate Republican, but it doesn’t feel like there’s a place for moderates in either party anymore. Pretty sure I’m joining your ranks.
Couldn't agree more. Sensible, non-Trump worshipping republican's are now democrats to the hardliners. Although, if it's any consolation, it seems the center democrats are now republicans. So... yay?

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
https://www.potholevigilantes.com

These guys of different creeds and race and class have decided that individuals can really fix things and they are. Next they’re going after trash. Then education. This will be great! Americans will just take over and we pay politicians to just go away.

Nov 6, 2010
I'm to the point where I'd take two NON-politicians over anything in, around, or of Washington. Smurf the whole lot.

I'd seriously vote a Dwayne Johnson/Mike Rowe ticket and not blink an eye. They could not be any worse than what we've had the last ~6 years (or what keeps getting mentioned as the possible future). :glare::cursing::poo:
For anyone to have a chance as an independent they'll need to be established celebrities in some capacity just for name recognition, so you're ticket might be pretty close to what it would take. Maybe a sports icon along with some other entertainment figure that's not considered too extreme. Tom Brady and Steven Spielberg maybe?

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
For anyone to have a chance as an independent they'll need to be established celebrities in some capacity just for name recognition, so you're ticket might be pretty close to what it would take. Maybe a sports icon along with some other entertainment figure that's not considered too extreme. Tom Brady and Steven Spielberg maybe?
Someone like this guy.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Couldn't agree more. Sensible, non-Trump worshipping republican's are now democrats to the hardliners. Although, if it's any consolation, it seems the center democrats are now republicans. So... yay?
Yeah, If you don't support the Trump end of the GOP and you don't support the Bernie end of the Dems...what do we call ourselves anymore? Because I'm not THAT kind of Democrat and I know most people on this board aren't THAT kind of Republican

I think most of us are closer to Tim Kaine and Pat Toomey than we are the extremes that have taken over both parties.

Maybe we should revive the Bull Moose Party or the Rockefeller Republicans. They centered on strong moderate policies and Teddy Roosevelt actually was able to take the WH with the Bull Moose Party.

It might be time for a huge Grass Roots Movement to get out and get this crap fest back to the middle

Last edited:

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
Yeah, If you don't support the Trump end of the GOP and you don't support the Bernie end of the Dems...what do we call ourselves anymore? Because I'm not THAT kind of Democrat and I know most people on this board aren't THAT kind of Republican

I think most of us are closure to Tim Kaine and Pat Toomey than we are the extremes that have taken over both parties.

Maybe we should revive the Bull Moose Party or the Rockefeller Republicans. They centered on strong moderate policies and Teddy Roosevelt actually was able to take the WH with the Bull Moose Party.

It might be time for a huge Grass Roots Movement to get out and get this crap fest back to the middle
Teddy Roosevelt did not take the White House with the Bull Moose Party. His running as the Bull Moose split the Republican vote and gave the White House to Woodrow Wilson. Roosevelt first entered the White House when Willam McKinley was assassinated, then won election in his own right in 1904, running as a Republican. William Howard Taft was his hand selected successor who won as a Republican in 1908. Roosevelt was very disappointed in Taft's administration (Taft never really wanted to be president, his goal was to be Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, which he eventually attained.) so he ran as a Progressive, which became known as the Bull Moose Party. As I mentioned before this split the Republican votes and put Wilson in the White House.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
Teddy Roosevelt did not take the White House with the Bull Moose Party. His running as the Bull Moose split the Republican vote and gave the White House to Woodrow Wilson. Roosevelt first entered the White House when Willam McKinley was assassinated, then won election in his own right in 1904, running as a Republican. William Howard Taft was his hand selected successor who won as a Republican in 1908. Roosevelt was very disappointed in Taft's administration (Taft never really wanted to be president, his goal was to be Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, which he eventually attained.) so he ran as a Progressive, which became known as the Bull Moose Party. As I mentioned before this split the Republican votes and put Wilson in the White House.
I have long said that the two parties don't care about anything but their own power, prestige, and pocketbooks and to that end they have rigged the system against third parties. The Republicans forgetting that they started life as a third party. Since the first Republican presidential campaign in 1856 third parties have only gotten more than 5% of the vote nine times. The strongest showing was the 1856 election where the upstart Republicans took 33% of the popular vote to the Whig's 21.5%, and the Democrats won with 45.29%. 1860 was kind of an anomaly because the country was on the verge of civil war and the election was actually the straw that broke the camel's back. Republicans took 39.65%, Democrats 29.52%, Southern Democrats 18.2%, and Constitutional Union 12.62%. In 1892 the Populist party had 8.51%, 1912 the Progressives (Bull Moose under Roosevelt) took 27.39 (actually came in second in that election leaving the Republicans in 3rd place). It was the Progressives again in 1924 with 16.62%, then the American Independent Party (George Wallace was the candidate and was later shot in an assassination attempt) got 13.53%. 1980 John Anderson led the Independents to get 6.61%. Then Ross Perot, first as an Independent in 1992 then under the Reform Party in 1996 got 18.91% and 8.40% respectively. Other than in local elections and primaries, I haven't voted for a Republican or Democrat since 2012.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I have long said that the two parties don't care about anything but their own power, prestige, and pocketbooks and to that end they have rigged the system against third parties. The Republicans forgetting that they started life as a third party. Since the first Republican presidential campaign in 1856 third parties have only gotten more than 5% of the vote nine times. The strongest showing was the 1856 election where the upstart Republicans took 33% of the popular vote to the Whig's 21.5%, and the Democrats won with 45.29%. 1860 was kind of an anomaly because the country was on the verge of civil war and the election was actually the straw that broke the camel's back. Republicans took 39.65%, Democrats 29.52%, Southern Democrats 18.2%, and Constitutional Union 12.62%. In 1892 the Populist party had 8.51%, 1912 the Progressives (Bull Moose under Roosevelt) took 27.39 (actually came in second in that election leaving the Republicans in 3rd place). It was the Progressives again in 1924 with 16.62%, then the American Independent Party (George Wallace was the candidate and was later shot in an assassination attempt) got 13.53%. 1980 John Anderson led the Independents to get 6.61%. Then Ross Perot, first as an Independent in 1992 then under the Reform Party in 1996 got 18.91% and 8.40% respectively. Other than in local elections and primaries, I haven't voted for a Republican or Democrat since 2012.
I mean here in our own state we have a GREAT example of the parties only caring about power.

Joy Hoffemister is switching parties just to run against Stitt as a Democrat. She is fully 100% "Republican" but she will switch just to have a go at the power. The actual values, beliefs, and wants of the PEOPLE of the parties is NOT in line with ANY politician today. The D or R by their name, is just a way for them to either get votes based on Tribe OR to give them a shot at power to unseat someone else....that is it....That is ALL a D or R next to most of their names means to them. They don't subscribe to the value and belief systems at all. Politicians have actually created their OWN value and belief systems at the expense of the parties they have destroyed

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
I mean here in our own state we have a GREAT example of the parties only caring about power.

Joy Hoffemister is switching parties just to run against Stitt as a Democrat. She is fully 100% "Republican" but she will switch just to have a go at the power. The actual values, beliefs, and wants of the PEOPLE of the parties is NOT in line with ANY politician today. The D or R by their name, is just a way for them to either get votes based on Tribe OR to give them a shot at power to unseat someone else....that is it....That is ALL a D or R next to most of their names means to them. They don't subscribe to the value and belief systems at all. Politicians have actually created their OWN value and belief systems at the expense of the parties they have destroyed
Also the way they control who is on the ballot. I believe it was after the 1992 election when they made it virtually impossible for a 3rd party candidate to even get on the ballot and also eliminated the write-in.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville

Same thing for John Cox. He ran for State Superintendent as a democrat and lost, this time around he is switching to republican.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

I think she switched parties from democrat in order to primary the last one. Baresi.