Will James Washington

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
We are at the game but Washington primarily played the fourth quarter when game was over and Chiefs had their no name third stringers playing defense as starters sat most of fourth quarter. Ben could hardly walk much less play football. To bad they didn’t put in Rudolph mid season. Hate to see Ben go out a loser but he will be in HOF in five years.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
True. And it’s very puzzling why he isn’t utilized more. He’s basically their 6th option at WR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've thought about this quite a bit, and the only thing I can come up with is he struggles to get any separation. But his entire game is beating DB's for the ball. You'd think they would figure this out and throw a few more balls his way, because he usually comes down with them, just like he did at OSU, regardless of coverage.

Sep 22, 2011
He didn’t fit bens game plan, plus Ben didn’t like him because his relationship with Rudolph, Washington is a down the field deep in, come back, and combat catch receiver. Ben wanted the ball out in 3 seconds

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
We are at the game but Washington primarily played the fourth quarter when game was over and Chiefs had their no name third stringers playing defense as starters sat most of fourth quarter. Ben could hardly walk much less play football. To bad they didn’t put in Rudolph mid season. Hate to see Ben go out a loser but he will be in HOF in five years.
Seldom see a competitor leave when they are at the top of their game. Barry Sanders is one of the few that did.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Surprising Rudolph has some following in Pittsburgh as there were some fans wearing his jersey at the game on Sunday. Seems he will be given the opportunity to win the starting job next year with Haskins and they will draft a QB. Without Ben’s presence I believe Mason will be a breath of fresh air for Steeler fans. He seems to have that Clark Kent-Superman persona to take down the Joker and bring Superbowls back to the Steelers.

Last edited:

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Pretty much watched every Steelers game the last 4 years because of MR & JW. I'm sure if you gave their front office truth serum, they wish they'd have gone after a QB 2 years ago-Rothliesberger has been a shell of his former self for 2 years now. Their OL was completely decimated, they lost James Conner and Ben can't throw the ball anymore. Their offense has been completely pathetic to watch the last 2 seasons. It's bad when you're celebrating a first down and thinking 'oh, thank god, not another three & out.'

As for JW, I thought he'd break through more there. The Steelers do as good of a job of drafting & developing WR's as any team in the NFL and have for a decade or more. Guys like Smith-Schuster, Chase Claypool & Dionte Johnson don't make it easy for a JW to really shine, though, and they got alot more looks than JW ever did.

I'd love to be wrong, but Mason's not the guy to take them anywhere. Keep in mind, he got his shot and was benched for Duck Hodges.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Pretty much watched every Steelers game the last 4 years because of MR & JW. I'm sure if you gave their front office truth serum, they wish they'd have gone after a QB 2 years ago-Rothliesberger has been a shell of his former self for 2 years now. Their OL was completely decimated, they lost James Conner and Ben can't throw the ball anymore. Their offense has been completely pathetic to watch the last 2 seasons. It's bad when you're celebrating a first down and thinking 'oh, thank god, not another three & out.'

As for JW, I thought he'd break through more there. The Steelers do as good of a job of drafting & developing WR's as any team in the NFL and have for a decade or more. Guys like Smith-Schuster, Chase Claypool & Dionte Johnson don't make it easy for a JW to really shine, though, and they got alot more looks than JW ever did.

I'd love to be wrong, but Mason's not the guy to take them anywhere. Keep in mind, he got his shot and was benched for Duck Hodges.
Rudolph is going to have to improve on these stats....

1642521800290.png

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Rudolph is going to have to improve on these stats....

View attachment 94190
Correct. It was simply painful to watch him run their offense and do nothing but throw to his checkdown, time and again. Tomlin called it out in a postgame when they benched him for Hodges.

I think MR will hang around the league for probably a decade as a valuable backup, but like Baker, Hurts and others, it takes a helluva lot to be the type of QB who can take a team to the Super Bowl because your QB has to actually make plays to win NFL games. It's not enough to just not make mistakes, you've got to make the other team pay for mistakes in coverage.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Correct. It was simply painful to watch him run their offense and do nothing but throw to his checkdown, time and again. Tomlin called it out in a postgame when they benched him for Hodges.

I think MR will hang around the league for probably a decade as a valuable backup, but like Baker, Hurts and others, it takes a helluva lot to be the type of QB who can take a team to the Super Bowl because your QB has to actually make plays to win NFL games. It's not enough to just not make mistakes, you've got to make the other team pay for mistakes in coverage.
He's got the tools, time will tell if he can make the decisions quick enough.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
@gundysburner I agree, I just don't see it with MR. I see him as the 10-15 year career back-up, unless he can get a full off-season and season as the starter with a healthy supporting cast.

Weeden will always be the QB that didn't get a legit chance. Cleveland was terrible and when he had a chance at Dallas, they dumbed down the offense so much he couldn't use his talent to do what needed to be done. He was doing decent when Romo went down, but someone thought they should bring in Matt Cassel and ship Weeden to Houston where he went 2-0 and they went to the playoffs. 97 QBR for the season.