1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Wrestling vs Iowa

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by Jostate, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

I'm in! Who else will be there? Could be the best crowd we've had in a while. :pistols:

PSA***

BTW, if you're a wrestling fan you are probably tougher than say your average... football fan or something. Don't be a wuss if the weather man threatens us with a **** snow flake or 2. Cowboy up and drive, it's not that hard.

#1 Jostate, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  2. CTeamPoke

CTeamPoke Creator of "Dumbest Post in OP History!"
    A/V Subscriber

I'll be there plus 3. Really would be great to see what the athletic department can do to put 10k in the arena for this one. It's a huge match.

• Like Like x 1
  3. osupsycho

osupsycho Deputy

I am planning on being there with my boys, unless the roads are an ice rink (which is what some are predicting FYI, ice not snow). Of course if they are that bad they will probably cancel/postpone the dual...

I hope conditions aren't that bad as my sons have been looking forward to this dual for months.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

As soon as I give the lecture about not wussing out my wife emails me freaking out :runaway::runaway: because someone told her about the potential weather.

:facepalm:

F- it, I'm counting on global warming to come through for me.

• Like Like x 2
  5. You Dropped A Bomb On Me

6. CowboyVenus

CowboyVenus An orange light stuck in the crimson darkness
    A/V Subscriber

aka don't be a snowflake and worry about snowflakes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Justin

Justin Cowboy

What I dont understand is why the athletic department does not sell $5 tickets to the smaller olympic sports games? We could get much better crowds similar to the WV bb game.I hate that for women's bb and wrestling.I realize they are not real expensive but when you are on a budget with family it makes a difference.

• Like Like x 4
  8. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber

Season tickets are $75 per seat for the full season. $15 for the Iowa dual isn't exactly breaking the bank... especially when it's our biggest rival in the sport.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

Unfortunately, not a shock, but it doesn't like they're doing much in any capacity for promotion of it so far. I'm sure they'll put out something, but IMO it's a bit ridiculous that they haven't to this point.

I really wonder if there's some weird animosity between wrestling and marketing in the athletic department. They started tweeting, Facebooking, emailing, etc... the 4 for $20 promotion for the WVU basketball game about 3 weeks prior to the game and here we are less than 1 week away from a huge 1 vs. 3 match between the 2 best programs and biggest rivals in OSU's best sport and @Jostate is doing more to promote it than the actual athletic department.

I understand not knocking the general admission price down, even though they're only $10, there are quite a few people that will almost always go the Iowa dual regardless of a ticket promotion, so they might not make as much money if they did that.

I really don't understand the lack of marketing of it though. It costs basically no money and very little effort to post something really basic on social media and OSU hasn't even done that. Make a video or something and you may catch even more peoples attention.

I've definitely no marketing expert, but why in the world the athletic department doesn't do as much with wrestling as it seems to do with other sports is beyond me, and I really don't feel it's some biased thinking on my part as a wrestling fan, because I've seen a # of people mention they feel the same way on here.

• Like Like x 5
  10. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber

They've got this video out:

https://twitter.com/CowboyWrestling/status/818174674203013127

But I agree. There just isn't a ton of promotion for wrestling. I'm hoping that the recaps and coverage on PFB will help a little bit, but the interest level just seems to be low from everybody that isn't passionate about it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

I get that wrestling's not football or basketball and there's never going to be the overall week to week interest that you see with them, but Iowa/OSU if done right can be a big promotion. Just ask the 45,000 that went to it last year.

I'm not saying OSU should expect that this week, but with a little promotion they might get 5,000 instead of 4,000 and they don't seem to really be doing much to get that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber

There's no reason there shouldn't be 13k in that arena when we wrestle Iowa, Iowa State, OU, Minnesota, Penn State, etc. The apathy of our fan base on this sport is astounding to me... and I think it bleeds into the athletic department when they don't promote it.

13. OrangeTide

OrangeTide Deputy

I'll be there and hell's coming with me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

I think the athletic department sees the world in terms of revenue sports and um.
    ..something else.

15. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

I believe this and maybe Bedlam are the only 2 that are $10 for wrestling. May be wrong on that though.

16. #1 Pokes Fan

#1 Pokes Fan Sheriff

I mentioned it in another thread before, I went to the ticket booth inside BPS during the Texas Tech game to get a pocket schedule for wrestling and was told they didn't bring any. Just seems like no effort is being placed on the promotion of wrestling. Good lord, you have 55,000 OSU fans at a game, at least promote your product with a schedule available. I'm done bitching now. If the weather cooperates, I will be there solo for the dual Sunday. Everyone in my house is going to church, I have other plans. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 3
  17. OrangeTide

OrangeTide Deputy

They are going to church, but you'll be in the cathedral.

• Love Love x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
  18. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

I'll get off my soapbox, though I have a lot more opinion's on it, and actually discuss the subject now, but this is one of a few duals that could be a revenue generator if done right and the athletic department just doesn't seem to pursue it for some reason.

I'll be there regardless of weather + 3 to 5 more and am really excited for this. Should be a great dual and I actually feel there will be a decent crowd as long as the weather cooperates.

#18 Seth25809er, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Stilly Vanilly

Stilly Vanilly Greenhorn

They have actually raised the ticket prices to $15 for this dual.

20. #1 Pokes Fan

#1 Pokes Fan Sheriff

That just doesn't make sense to me. I would rather have 5,000 butts in seats at $10 = $50,000 than 3,000 butts in seats at $15 = $45,000. That computes to 2,000 more butts in seats for the home mat advantage, $5,000 more for ticket sales, and 2,000 more people to buy concessions. I'm not very smart but even I can do simple math. I'm very frustrated with the whole situation surrounding the wrestling program promotion as a whole this year. Very substandard for the premiere program it is.

• Like Like x 6