1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Wrestling vs Iowa

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by Jostate, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

I hate to say it, but I'm sorta rooting for Roselli to figure things out at OU for that exact reason. It's nice to destroy teams, but it's a lot more interesting when it's competitive.

Collica may have beat him. I honestly don't know. I know he ran through some tournament and beat a lot of good wrestlers, but I thought that was last summer? May be wrong there.

I actually flipped my predictions from what happened last year for Crutchmer/Boyd, but for some reason I feel more confident in Boyd than Crutchmer now. Both definitely could maybe even should win. There's just something about Crutchmer's style that doesn't give me as much confidence as I probably should have with him. I don't know why because he usually pulls out the win's, I just always walk away from his matches feeling like he should've lost even when he wins.

I haven't really seen a ton on Clark either. He's solid, but I never see him push much offense against good wrestlers, sorta like Crutchmer. It's like he has the ability to take shots, but he usually scores off of others vs. taking shots. Guys like Brock that aren't afraid to go after people seem to have success against him. He's really tough on top. It won't be easy for Brock to get out. I sorta think if Brock can manage to keep it close at the end he'll have a good chance due to Clark's injury. I can't imagine he'll have much of a gas tank at the end of this one with the way Brock goes after guys.

#41 Seth25809er, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Justin

Justin Cowboy

My thoughts exactly.We know nearly everyone will spend 10 or $20 more on average level concessions.It is simple supply and demand.Tons of empty seats but they still raise the price? We can afford to sell bb tickets for $5 and get 12-13k for a Thursday game.

3. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

Mike Morgan seems to think rain/ice Friday and freezing rain/ice Saturday with it likely too warm to really cause any issues Friday and and possibly still too warm Saturday, then Sunday it's supposed to be in the 40's, so probably just rain.

If that holds true I guess the x-factor would be whether or not the roads are warm enough that the ice doesn't stick on Saturday.

#43 Seth25809er, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. cowboyfan97

cowboyfan97 Cowboy

I will need you guys to keep me updated on the roads. My family will be driving up from McKinney, TX. We have had season tickets for 12 years and don't like missing duals because of ice!!! But with a wife and two young kids in the car, I won't take any chances.

• Like Like x 4
  5. CTeamPoke

CTeamPoke Creator of "Dumbest Post in OP History!"
    A/V Subscriber

I'll be making the trip from Dallas, stopping in McKinney to pick up my dad!

6. #1 Pokes Fan

#1 Pokes Fan Sheriff

I'm seeing some car pool karaoke in your future!

7. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

Be safe if you do.

Definitely can't be too careful. From what I watched on the news last night I don't think it'll be that bad, but it sounds like it's sort of just on the edge of whether or not it'll get bad. If it's maybe 4-5 degrees cooler than what they're projecting on Friday/Saturday it could be bad Sunday because it may stick and stay frozen overnight, but Sunday it'll probably just be rain.

8. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Apparently he's been reading my posts. :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW0pJoOGFGQ

10. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

Seriously, everything I see has it warming up enough by Sunday to not be a problem. Tonight is supposed to be the apocalypse.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Seth25809er

Seth25809er Sheriff
    A/V Subscriber

Shot's fired from Iowa's 125 lber Thomas Gilman

Iowa’s Thomas Gilman didn’t hold back when asked about the characteristics he can expect from an Oklahoma State opponent when the third-ranked Hawkeyes travel to Stillwater, Okla., to face the top-ranked Cowboys on Sunday.

“Stalling,” said Gilman, who is top-ranked at 125 and will have No. 12 Nick Piccininni. “They have a small mat down there. They don’t like to wrestle hard. They’ll fool you. They’ll say they want to wrestle hard … they want to play the edge and run around. They like to dance around and grab and twist your ankle.

"You've got to grab ahold of guys like that that dance around. You have to throw them down hard.”

Iowa has three straight victories over Oklahoma State, winning last season’s “Grapple on the Gridiron” at Kinnick Stadium and beating the Cowboys 30-7 two years ago in Stillwater. The Hawkeyes have also won 21 straight road duals.

Gilman said he doesn’t focus on the rivalry and history.

“We’re going to go down there,” Gilman said. “We’re going to invade them. We’re going to kick the crap out of them and that’s going to be that. We’ve done that ever since I’ve been here.”

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowas-cory-clark-said-he-feels-good-after-return-to-competition-20170111

• LOL LOL x 3
  12. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

To put closure on an earlier sidebar, Mike Holder today replied to inquiry as to his thoughts about why there has been low attendance at OSU wrestling matches. He said there are several questions regarding attendance but he has no answers for that issue. He also stated that they have no intention contacting J Robinson for a consultation about how to improve marketing for the wrestling program. He said he was not even aware that J Robinson was skilled in that area. So it sounds like from that, you guys were right all along, athletic dept. does not care that much about this non-revenue producing sport. Very sad for the most successful program in all of sports at all levels.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cowboyup58

cowboyup58 Cowboy

I don't put the lack of attendance all on Mike Holder and the athletic department. How can you not be a graduate of OSU or a fan and not know about the storied history of the wrestling program? The fan base of our beloved school bears most of the brunt of the lack of attendance which includes the student body. I attended OSU from 1976-80 and to this day the loudest arena I have been in was GIA during a Bedlam wrestling event. Sellouts were commonplace during wrestling matches. We have the number 1 team in the land entertaining number 3 and GIA can't be filled to capacity? That's complete BS. I think our fanbase isn't what it use to be. It's sad. GO POKES...BEAT iowa

• Like Like x 2
  14. tfpoke

tfpoke Cowboy

It's called marketing. You have a great product, you spend some money and effort marketing it. It's not rocket science and the Athletic Department has done zippo for wrestling for many years. It's a shame, but that's just the way it is. I dislike the squawk eyes as much as any wrestling program, hopefully we kick their butts.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Class of 1970

Class of 1970 Cowboy

Gillman, their 125 lbs. boy states that Cowboys just circle their small mat and try to reach in and twist an ankle. They say they wrestle hard, but they don't. Even if his trash talk was true, that ankle picking sure has won a lot of national championships. Gable was a fighter mad at the world for the tragedy that befell his family. The Brand brothers loved to fight, even each other when they roomed together while on the team. I just watched a recent interview of Iowa's coach and Brand even looks angry. So bring on the Iowa way of fighting while the Cowboys counter with technique and we shall see who prevails. Pin their butts to the mat and watch them cry!

• Like Like x 2
  16. CTeamPoke

CTeamPoke Creator of "Dumbest Post in OP History!"
    A/V Subscriber

No respect from Gillman. "They're number one so I guess you can say we are trying to take them out... But we're Iowa so really they're trying to take us out."

Hope Pic kicks his ass on Sunday. Tall task for the freshman... But that can't stand.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Takeout Slide

Takeout Slide Hardcore Troubadour

Welp, Coach Smith shouldn't need to dig too deep to find a way to get these guys motivated!