“Drive-Slowing” Injuries

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
you can be too tired to get up. some, or most of you have never played college football. defense especially requires 100 percent effort at all times. you're always chasing fast guys.

Im a lawyer now, and not proud of this, but i used to take speed at halftime so i could play full speed the 2nd half. and that was against normal offenses, not the spread. it makes matters worse with the hurry up where you cant even sub out tired players.

players get hurt when they are too fatigued. it happens against wvu too, but it is a safety issue. a player may need to stay down bc he's just too tired to go another play full tilt without a blow. Saban has actually said hurry-up offenses are a safety issues and should be banned, ie the defense can sub players in whenever it wants.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
you can be too tired to get up. some, or most of you have never played college football. defense especially requires 100 percent effort at all times. you're always chasing fast guys.

Im a lawyer now, and not proud of this, but i used to take speed at halftime so i could play full speed the 2nd half. and that was against normal offenses, not the spread. it makes matters worse with the hurry up where you cant even sub out tired players.

players get hurt when they are too fatigued. it happens against wvu too, but it is a safety issue. a player may need to stay down bc he's just too tired to go another play full tilt without a blow. Saban has actually said hurry-up offenses are a safety issues and should be banned, ie the defense can sub players in whenever it wants.
Well, at least you are properly ashamed of being a lawyer.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009

I’m a playboy billionaire (not proud of it) and I would leave at halftime to drink and smoke some weed.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city

I'm pretty sure reasons like that are why each team is awarded time-outs.

While it is frustrating that teams show poor sportsmanship like this, it isn't that big of a deal. Usually, it is sort of like a boxer using the rope to hold himself up when he should be fighting. Like our game showed, it is often a team about to get beat.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

Imma hafta call bullspit... pure bullspit...

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
If you are legitimately hurt then you clearly need some time on the sidelines. For a phantom cramp in between plays, coaches are happy to throw players right back in the game. For real cramps, the player needs to be on the sideline hydrating and stretching out. Putting the player directly back in is actually a huge liability to his own team.

This is a good point. This rule would help ensure that the training staff has all the time they need to properly evaluate the injury and they're not just throwing him back in at the earliest possible moment. The only counter argument I would make is that some players may be more reticent to go down if they know they can't just take a play off and therefore more likely to play with an injury

JoeHero

A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006

"Our players aren't conditioned well enough to play college football" is not the take I was expecting to see, but there it is.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
. Saban has actually said hurry-up offenses are a safety issues and should be banned, ie the defense can sub players in whenever it wants.
That's because Saban and his team of 5 star guys can't be beat unless you change the game a bit by spreading the field and speeding the game up. He just doesn't want anyone to interfere with his dynasty.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
That's because Saban and his team of 5 star guys can't be beat unless you change the game a bit by spreading the field and speeding the game up. He just doesn't want anyone to interfere with his dynasty.
And I believe is is now utilizing hurry-up now that he has a QB that can run it.

Oct 30, 2007

Any player that doesn't have the conditioning to play against an uptempo offense, shouldn't be on the field. If your starters were too fatigued during the second half, they should've been on the bench. It's a bush league move to take a dive against an uptempo offense to slow the game down. Players ought to be held out for an entire series if they stop the clock for an injury.

JoeHero

A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
Also reminds me of a JoeRogan podcast I watched a couple months ago. Teddy Atlas was talking about how MikeTyson was mentally weak and a big part of that is how he conducted himself outside the ring. When he got worked by evander he just quit because he was weak. And he knew he was weak because he did weak things and when you know you're the guy who does weak things you can just turn it on and become strong. In the same way West Virginia were doing the weak thing by malingering. And when OSU started landing haymakers wvu folded just like Tyson folded when holyfield put him in a fight that required him to be strong.

If Bigelow is in such bad shape that he can be "injured" three times in one half, he should not be allowed on the field. Everyone knows what he was doing and it had nothing to do with an injury, The first time he faked it, we scored the next play and he ran onto the field for the extra point attempt.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Gundy said on the radio show that if they're really hurt, or even cramping that the training staff should have them on the sideline being evaluated and hydrated, etc.. So they should be forced to stay out until the next change of possession.

Sent from my Orange Power Koolaid glass.