1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Adcock and Blatnick?

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by PokealypseNow, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Nostra

Nostra Wrangler

If they don't go in the first 3 rounds, the players do better as FAs. It's great to see all the guys on the board signed deals! GO POKES!!
  2. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Cowboy

Naw man I wasn't making that up. There were a couple of legit/semi-legit NFL draftsites that had both of them top 5 in the position, particularly in Markelle's case. Remember that this year was projected a weak year for safeties anyways and he was highly regarded because he had the athleticism and versatility (ie tackling ability and physicality to play in the box) at either safety spots
  3. osu_cowboy_007

osu_cowboy_007 Cowboy

How in the world guys like Bryce Brown get drafted over consensus AA Levy Adcock?
  4. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

Potential
  5. OStateMan

Banned OStateMan Banned

$10K per head.
    NYC Poke likes this.
  6. naranjaynegro

naranjaynegro Deputy

the nfl is obviously more enamored of physical skills.....run, jump, etc. over what they have accomplished in their collegiate playing days
  7. OStateMan

Banned OStateMan Banned

One would think that the NFL, over the many decades they've been in business, has found a significant correlation of players physical skills and game day results enough to see the importance of administering these tests.
  8. Celldweller7

A/V Subscriber Celldweller7 Deputy

I'm sorry, but that view is short sighted. Do you feel the same about colleges evaluating high school talent, because it is exactly the same.

They look at both, but productivity at a level of play that has more room for error does not directly translate to success at a higher level with less room for error.

Take QBs for example: A college QB can have a long throwing motion, sub-par footwork, a weak arm, not be particularly accurate, and telegraph their throws while having success in college. Why? The room for error is higher. Pass rushes aren't as quick, defensive backs aren't as fast or instinctual. An open receiver in the NFL is literally considered covered for most college offenses.

Also, having all of those things fixed, does not lead to better collegiate success, because those skills do not necessarily show up when there is more room for error.

Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, etc. These guys do not come up as the best collegiate QBs to ever play, yet they are among the greatest professional QBs. Because what it takes to be great in NFL does not equate to college, because you can be just as success having the skills of Rodney Peete, Andre Ware, David Klinger, Tee Martin, Ty Detmer, Jason White, Troy Smith, Case Keenum, etc.

It is like having the best computer gear money can buy and then running only Netflix & Hulu on it. It isn't going to work much if any better than if you spent considerably less. It is only truly noticeable when you start running huge, complex programs or video games, then you see what makes those upgrades necessary and useful.
    CTeamPoke likes this.
  9. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Cowboy

Wes Welker went undrafted- nough said. NFL evaluators screw up all the time. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. NFL evaluators get it right sometimes, they get it wrong sometimes.
  10. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

I imagine they get it right far more often than they get it wrong.
  11. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Cowboy

I would imagine it's about 60% they get right- 40% they get wrong. Just look at number of players who go past 2nd round that turn out to be bigtime players. It's both really.
  12. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

That's not really how it works. The round a player is drafted has more to do with their present value as opposed to their future value. Generally a team uses its early round picks to get guys that are going to start right away and contribute early. You use later round picks and UFAs on projects that aren't ready now, but have a good shot at becoming a contributor later. Hence Welker. Welker went undrafted and contrary to popular belief, he did not immediately sign with the Patriots and start breaking records. It took him a good three years (spent with the Dolphins) to become what he is now.

Which is why there are good late drafted prospects. I would also be willing to bet there is a higher percentage of late round picks that don't pan out when compared to first/second rounders.
  13. Jonathangpark

Jonathangpark Wrangler

They were both picked up in Free Agency. I bet they both earn a chance to play on Sunday.
  14. cowboys18TJ Poke

cowboys18TJ Poke Wrangler

It played a factor in Randle and Smith getting stopped at the line of scrimmage at times.
    our run game was not very good last year. One would have to say it either was due to the runningbacks not getting past the LOS or it was due to our run blocking , but hey not every back at osu is going to be a stud.
    I am in the minority but osu needs a power runningback or a fullback reardless of the type of offense. I hope Kye Staley gets used more in the short yardage and goal lne situation.
  15. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Cowboy

I know that is not how it works but people were wrong about Wes Welker. Hence my point.
  16. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

No they weren't really wrong. When he joined the league in 2004 he wasn't that good, and therefore not worth a draft pick and guaranteed money. Just because a player becomes good doesn't mean they're worth all that money up front. Not to mention Welker is just one example of a "big miss" and there are bound to be some every year. I would be willing to bet that guys drafted in the first few rounds are more likely to make it to the second contract than guys who either don't get drafted or get picked late.
  17. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Cowboy

He wasn't that good huh lol. Cmon man, He need some time but people were wrong about welker. Give me a break philranger. If you don't think scouts jacked up with welker. You are wrong.
  18. RutherfordFan

RutherfordFan Cowboy

I'm not saying they aren't more likely to make 2nd contrat. I'm saying rounds 4-7 is a crapshoot versus some free agents. Also I'm saying scouts mess up period. Welker is an example, of course they aren't going to be perfect but I would venture to say it's just a slightly better percentage of who makes it from college to pro than who makes it from high school to college to become a star.
  19. Philranger

Philranger Wrangler

Would you spend a high draft pick on a dude who averaged 32 catches 374 yards and not even a full TD receiving in his first three years in the league?

No you wouldn't. Would you take that in free agency? Yup. These guys know what they're doing.
    Blue_Cowboy likes this.
  20. HeartLike_JohnStarks

HeartLike_JohnStarks Cowboy

Potential + Need?

Adcock is gonna be a steal, I swear.