and Boynton Laughs

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
That’s fair. I would say we were “out-athleted” in games where we had good shooters, but we couldn’t create our own shots because the defenders were more athletic. That disparity will not be as pronounced this year, which means our defense *should* improve as well.

But your points are valid. Talent doesn’t necessarily equate to success. And Boynton hasn’t always brought the best game plans (which is why we sometimes lost to lesser teams). I believe he is an exceptional motivator and he will meld the talent into a strong team. But we haven’t seen him work with any player like Cade or the combination of egos and expectations he’ll need to manage this season.
No doubt we haven't had a guy to give the ball to at the end of the shot clock since Evans. I am excited for this year, but I get nervous when folks start assuming success. I am more of a day by day guy. So Boynton chuckling on Twitter about a 7-11 conference record prediction makes me nervous. And Boynton has been nearly flawless at public comments thus far. Many things can go wrong here. Season gets delayed, Cade says hell with it...who knows at this point.
Who the heck is “Evans”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Who the heck is “Evans”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sarcasm? Or did you completely block out Jawun Evans?
I guess it’s just that when citing the last player we have had that you would want the ball in his hands as the seconds tick down does not in any way bring Jawun Evans to mind.....

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I guess it’s just that when citing the last player we have had that you would want the ball in his hands as the seconds tick down does not in any way bring Jawun Evans to mind.....
He was probably the best player on our last tournament team. Had to look it up, but he averaged 19 points and 6 assists per game. He had 23 and 12 in the tournament game against Michigan.

Sep 23, 2010
Evans is the last guy who you could give the ball to at the end of a shot clock and get a shot for himself or someone else. He was pretty damn good with the ball.

Sep 6, 2011
All of this talk about MIKE and how he coaches and players and how talented they are is fine. Tho what we really need to be successful are butts in the seats. If y’all don’t understand that a full house gave Eddie a huge advantage during his time as head coach your memories are lacking. Keep in mind that a full house was 6100 for a large portion of Eddie’s time in Stillwater.
I attended plenty of games with half-empty arenas when Eddie was the coach. Granted the conference games were usually packed, but we also sucked at football back then and basketball was one of the few 'major sports' that we were actually competitive in. Loyalty puts a few butts in the seats. Performance on the field/court along with affordable tickets fills the rest.

olderschool

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Evans was a great player. One of the best ever to play for the Cowboys.
IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THIS. THEN YOU WHERE NOT WATCHING.

And he was very very good defender.

Sep 23, 2010
I attended plenty of games with half-empty arenas when Eddie was the coach. Granted the conference games were usually packed, but we also sucked at football back then and basketball was one of the few 'major sports' that we were actually competitive in. Loyalty puts a few butts in the seats. Performance on the field/court along with affordable tickets fills the rest.
I was there for Coach Sutton's first four years in the expanded GIA. I would say it never dropped below 70% capacity except for maybe some exhibition games. It was always packed for conference. The 2nd level was always full. The third level on the end zones and corners could struggle during non-conference. But like you side, Coach Sutton had things rolling by then and the games were ton of fun to be a part of.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
He was a good player, one of the best ever, not in my book.
Totally agree. His two years were too short to put him in that category.

Reason I said he was one of the great "scorers' in program history is that there've been very few guys in OSU history who could flat out go get a shot on their own like he could in his sophomore year. Now, granted, the program hasn't been blessed with a lot of those guys over the years & we've been fortunate enough to have guys who got theirs within the flow of the offense, but as far as making something out of nothing-Evans is on a short list, based off of a short sample size.

Sep 23, 2010
He was a good player, one of the best ever, not in my book.
Evans was really good. He had an incredible statistical year. I'm not ready to put him in best ever category either. He's like Moe Baker. Incredible performance for a season, but lack of post-season play hurts his long term standing in the program.

Nov 6, 2010
Evans was really good. He had an incredible statistical year. I'm not ready to put him in best ever category either. He's like Moe Baker. Incredible performance for a season, but lack of post-season play hurts his long term standing in the program.
Hard to put that on him though, particularly when the specific characteristic we were discussion was his being able to create for himself. Big Country was one of the greatest to ever play here, but not sure you want the ball in his hands at the top of the key with the shot clock winding down.

Sep 23, 2010
Hard to put that on him though, particularly when the specific characteristic we were discussion was his being able to create for himself. Big Country was one of the greatest to ever play here, but not sure you want the ball in his hands at the top of the key with the shot clock winding down.
No doubt. The discussion was about having a playmaker because our offense has been so poor with Boynton. Ice can facilitate in transition, but he can't break his man down all that well his first two seasons. Hopefully Cade provides that along with Ice and AA getting better in that department. I also think Walker and Moncrief will help in the playmaking department.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
True, but from beyond half court with time expiring his percentage was pretty good....

Dec 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/osumbb/status/1282834697316425729?s=21

I LOVE THIS!!! Early look into elite level players. Showing their competitiveness, IQ, selflessness and love for the game and each other.
THIS is what football needs to do. OSU football couldve banked on the national exposure Chuba brought. Educate the country on the changes we are making. Show the true feelings of these kids and why they want to play in Stillwater. Football marketing can do more