Any chance OSU goes online only this fall?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
Not sure I said anything about Trump. This policy is relevant for understanding what could possibly happen to Chuba and Amen (and maybe other players I missed who are likely on student visas) if OSU went all online.
Oh, I understand you didn't mention Trump. My reasoning is that with the relaxed restrictions, the number of students that would be sent home is minimal and it's only being brought up to make Trump look bad.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
At the risk of this being deleted like most other threads.....

I don't disagree. I am trying to trust as much as possible but it's getting hard. I will take any prayers anyone is willing to give. For guidance, wisdom, peace, patience, etc. I've been through the grieving process numerous times at this point over what is coming on a personal level. My entire life's work is on the line, starting over now isn't practical. I am staring bankruptcy in the face for doing nothing wrong.

Bottom line is the decision is not binary and must be calculated as mutually inclusive. The damage that is coming to millions of small business owners and their staffs will have much longer lasting ramifications. The economic impact of mass defaults will make the 1930's look like a party and no one is talking about it.

Lockdowns are expedient, sound public policy requires solutions. Our "leaders" are not providing that and have not since this started.

I would add, if you've been able to stay at home, work, collect a paycheck, etc and have really seen no impact, take a page from @Poke4Christ and don't lecture the rest of us that are having our lives destroyed without even getting sick. The world sucks enough, don't be that person.
I’m very sorry to hear you’re struggling. I have been through a bankruptcy that wasn’t my fault. It was scary and depressing. A good friend died around the same time, so it was one of the darkest years of my life. We struggled for a while, but God provided an answer to our prayers about two years later. We ended up better off than before, but I know not every story goes that way. I’ll be praying for you during this time. Hold on and keep hope.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Oh, I understand you didn't mention Trump. My reasoning is that with the relaxed restrictions, the number of students that would be sent home is minimal and it's only being brought up to make Trump look bad.
So far it would be minimal. If schools are forced to go all online early in the semester, the policy does read like they will be deported. The same is true if students take online only schedules (what I'd expect most football players to do), which also does directly affect our players. Being honest, I don't see why the administration doesn't waive the requirement for the fall semester at least for students who already had visas. There are clearly some massive mitigating circumstances. We were already losing international students before this.

Feb 18, 2009
I’m very sorry to hear you’re struggling. I have been through a bankruptcy that wasn’t my fault. It was scary and depressing. A good friend died around the same time, so it was one of the darkest years of my life. We struggled for a while, but God provided an answer to our prayers about two years later. We ended up better off than before, but I know not every story goes that way. I’ll be praying for you during this time. Hold on and keep hope.
Thank you, I’m glad you came out better. We might too, who knows. I’m not really scared but I feel lost so prayers are really appreciated. This is bigger than I can handle on my own now.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
For those talking about the Immigration status and in person classes. The Law they are referring to was written in the 60's and last updated in 1991...well before the interwebs and the ability of online learning.

Presidential Admins since the rise of the interwebs have applied this law differently and created policy on it regarding international students and online classes and their immigration status.

When COVID first broke out the Trump admin decided to put in a policy that international students taking online classes could continue and finish up the Spring and Summer semesters in college without it affecting their immigration status

However, this Monday the Trump Admin revised this policy for Fall 2020 international students and said that any international students who hold a J1 or F1 student visa would need to return home immediately or face deportation if more than 1/2 of their Fall 2020 classes are online and not in person classes

Several different schools including Harvard, UCLA, and MIT have started a lawsuit against the Trump admin over this policy change

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
For those talking about the Immigration status and in person classes. The Law they are referring to was written in the 60's and last updated in 1991...well before the interwebs and the ability of online learning.

Presidential Admins since the rise of the interwebs have applied this law differently and created policy on it regarding international students and online classes and their immigration status.

When COVID first broke out the Trump admin decided to put in a policy that international students taking online classes could continue and finish up the Spring and Summer semesters in college without it affecting their immigration status

However, this Monday the Trump Admin revised this policy for Fall 2020 international students and said that any international students who hold a J1 or F1 student visa would need to return home immediately or face deportation if more than 1/2 of their Fall 2020 classes are online and not in person classes

Several different schools including Harvard, UCLA, and MIT have started a lawsuit against the Trump admin over this policy change
From my experience, this seems mostly accurate, but is slightly misleading. Most admins have said you can't do online only programs and be eligible for student visas. Still, these are massively extenuating circumstances and it's hard to imagine a fully legitimate reason for doing this. Colleges will lose a large source of revenue, these students will face additional hardships, and you likely hurt recruitment of international students over the long run, which hurts US universities' prestige, recruitment of top talent for faculty positions, and US influence.