1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Any Long Range Rifle Shooters?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by Erick, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit

I've been a shooter and hunter for a good majority of my life. Early on, I was taught the fundamentals of marksmanship and safe gun practices. Until somewhat recently I have never got into long range precision shooting. With a few recent purchases, I have changed the way I shoot.

Step one of my master plan was to consolidate my rifles to a single, highly available round like the 7.62 NATO. match grade ammo is relatively cheap at $19/box. Then I was off to buy a premium scope. Now I am working on my technique by shooting a lot more.

Does anyone else shoot long range? I want to be proficient at 500 and really want to do so 1,000 yard if I can find a place.
  2. TommyCaller

TommyCaller Wrangler

I do a little bit of long range shooting. I have three different rifles rigged up to do the job. A .300 mag, a .270 and a .223. Two of the guns have Kahles Z sniper scopes and the .223 is a black rifle with a low end scope that has interchangable turrets. I reload for the two bigger cartridges but keep the .223 as cheap as possible. It is a coyote gun while the other two are for deer elk moose bear and whatever else I am lucky enough to draw a tag for. Are you in Stillwater? I spent alot of time getting the rifles shooting the way they shoot and practice is the only way to stay consistant.
  3. Erick

I'm in Yukon. Is there a place near Stillwater. I could also use pointers at the range. I find myself forgetting about some of precision fundamentals and if I spend time at the range, I want to spend the time doing it right.

I've ordered a QD break for my Remington and tomorrow my stock pack should be in. Those things look handy! Another product I was instantly impressed with wat the KRG Bolt Lift. It's amazing how much easier the bolt is to operate with the big knob.
  4. TommyCaller

TommyCaller Wrangler

Stillwater Rifle and Pistol has a 500 yard range. I am not a member but I shoot a friends 100 yard range frequently. Some of my hunting areas are wide open and 500 plus yard shots are possible. I do more work on the 100 yard range than anywhere else. I reload and use a computer program that has helped my shooting more than anything else. Once you know the speed of your bullet, combined with barrel length and twist, the computer figures all the ballistics for you. I sighted my 300 in the hard way. My scope has a turret that has 100 yard increments on it that was actually made for a .308. I blacked out the marks and started from scratch shooting out to 500 and scribing new marks on the turret. It is super accurate now. I then checked the drops by creating a target with all the 100 through 900 yard marks on it and compared it to the computer ballistics for my round and it is exactly right on. When I set up the 270, I did it backwards. I took the computer reading and created the target. Then I took the turret and blacked out the marks. Put the gun in a vise and dialed it to the various target marks and scribed the turret. I took it to the range and it is awesome. Dead on out to 500. I have not tried to shoot beyond 500 but plan to. Send me an email and maybe we can play around on the range a little if we can get our schedules lined up. I am not a competitive shooter. I am a huntin fool that enjoys long shots. My longest shot on a deer was 588 yards with a one shot kill. Heck of a feeling.
  5. Erick

What kind of scope has a turret for that? No 1/4 MOA elevation clicks?

That sounds good. Want to shoot in Stillwater sometime?
  6. scottishorangemen

A/V Subscriber scottishorangemen falch ac anfarwol

Id be down for shooting too, I have a rifle and scope i need to sight in still.
  7. TommyCaller

TommyCaller Wrangler

The Kahles scopes I have are no longer available. They were made by Swarovski up until about 10 or 15 years ago. You can find them from time to time on Ebay. The ZF-95 and ZF-84. The 95 is a straight 10 power and the 84 is a 6 power. I only wish I knew about them when I was younger. This is in my opinion the best scope made for hunting. If you have a good range finder you can dial the scope to the yardage and hold your crosshairs dead on with no guess work. The scope on my .223 is very similar but it is a BSA sweet .223 It works the same exact way but the clarity is no comparison. I would be happy to shoot with you at my buddys range. He also has a chronograph that will help you alot with the long range shooting. If you know what your bullet is doing you can hit anything if the wind ain't blowing too hard. Thats why I choose to reload, I know I am shooting the same load every time. Once you get the gun sighted in, everything should be the same.
  8. State

A/V Subscriber State Cold Ass Honkey

I think Leupold can custom make scopes with a dial like that. I watched a video the other day from Greybull Precision on their long-range rifles and that's what they use. It has them taking deer and a ram at 600 yards and a coyote at just over 1k.
  9. TommyCaller

TommyCaller Wrangler

I have a muzzle break on both the 300 win mag and the 270. It definately helps with flinching from recoil but the noise is much much louder. The 270 is like shooting a 22 but you definately need ear plugs. I have had both triggers worked on and it has helped quite a bit. Both are in the 2 1/2 to 3 pound range. I also use several types of rests. I have a Harris bipod. a snipe pod, the three legged devil tripod (bog pod), a pole cat tri pod with the extension that holds the gun butt and a couple sets of folding shooting sticks. I use a turkey vest with a built in back rest that allows you to sit anywhere except for steep terrain and have a comfortabe back rest. It has a cradle on the shoulder that holds the gun in place so you can glass or use calls and your gun (with Harris BiPod installed) is at the ready at all times. Makes a perfect steady rest that has been great for me on longer shots. I use it for deer, antelope and coyotes. I also use a caldwell wind speed detector. The toughest part for me is judging wind speed and bullet drift. Figuring out minutes of angle to hold against the wind. It seems like you learn new stuff all of the time.
    Sorry for being so long winded.
  10. TommyCaller

TommyCaller Wrangler

Yes you are right! My buddy has a leupold that he sent in and had them install the turret. I was with him on a New Mex antelope hunt and he took one out at 534 yards. I was ranging and filming the hunt. You need to tell them what grain bullet you are shooting and what speed it is traveling and they will custom make a turret for you. Once you do that the bullets need to stay the same weight and speed. Tough to do that with factory loads.
  11. scottishorangemen

i sense that I should start hand loading alot more of my ammo..
    OSU Sig likes this.
  12. TommyCaller

TommyCaller Wrangler

It is expensive to get started with reloading. It will take a long time and alot of reloads for the thing to pay for its self but the rewards for handloading are worth it. You can get a good deal on ebay at times on used equipment. You can buy a box of federal 180 grain 3006 for example at walmart this year. If you end up shooting them up by next year and you go to get a box again, they may not have them. So you buy another brand which most likely will shoot different in your gun. Or the federals will be there, but they changed the powder or are using a different bullet. Reloading eliminates all of that and saves alot of time and money involved in sighting the rifle in again.
  13. scottishorangemen

yeah everything costs money... lol just another thing to start saving for!
  14. Erick

Here's a picture of my Remington set up. Now I'm just waiting on that tube that screws on the business end.

I love the bolt lift and the stock pack. Those came in the mail this week.
    [​IMG]
    scottishorangemen likes this.
  15. TommyCaller

TommyCaller Wrangler

Very Nice! What kind of scope do you have on that beast?
  16. Erick

Yea, not a good pic. That is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50.

Here's the shush tube that will go on it & my AR......in about four more months of waiting! [​IMG]
  17. TommyCaller

TommyCaller Wrangler

Wow is it a muzzle brake or a quiet me down tube....or both? Looks awesome!
  18. Erick

My can came in last week and I sent off the paperwork Friday. I had to mount a quick mount muzzle break with that can. It should be fantastic. I just lost most of my recoil but added a lot more sound. I guess you have to be loud before you can be quiet! In about 3-4 more moths and I'll be able to take it home for good!

[​IMG]
    dds115 likes this.
  19. dds115

A/V Subscriber dds115 Laughable

So awesome.
  20. OSU Sig

OSU Sig Cowboy

Very nice Erick.