Any reason to be concerned? NCAA informs some schools of violations

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
You serious Clark??

They didn't recover until Stoops came in '99. That's a decade.
Their down years had very little correlation to the NCAA penalties (related to ours). It was very much correlated to drugs, weapons, thuggish behavior, a general disdain for rules and graduation rates, and bad coaching hires post-Switzer.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Their down years had very little correlation to the NCAA penalties (related to ours). It was very much correlated to drugs, weapons, thuggish behavior, a general disdain for rules and graduation rates, and bad coaching hires post-Switzer.
December 17, 1988: The Sooners receive three years probation that includes no post-season games following the 1989 and 1990 seasons, no live telecasts of games during the 1989 season, only eight fulltime coaches permitted to participate in off-campus recruiting in 1989 and a limit of 18 football scholarships per year for the 1989 and 1990 seasons.

I'm well aware of what went down in Norman back then & yes, the criminal activity was obviously a part of it all falling apart for them. To minimize the impact of the penalties, however, I just disagree with.

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
Compared to a near death penalty (SMU being the only other school to get one) it is a slap on the wrist. Cheater u recovered very quickly and it was time barry hit the bricks anyway, he was pissin a bunch of fans off. Guess it is up to the viewer, jmo,
Well considering they didn’t do squat for a decade I wouldn’t consider that quickly jmo

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
Yes Lois. They didn't recover due to very poor choices in particular their head coaches. They had the money and connections to do much better, they made bad decisions. Gibbs (who actually gave a crap about his players graduating) followed by Schnelly the drunk and then Blake. Who'd a thunk they would smash their own finger with a hammer 3 times in a row. 8 years with 3 head coaches...money poorly spent. Again, just my opinion
During that ten year period their athletic department was broke so I’m not sure where you think they had the money.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
During that ten year period their athletic department was broke so I’m not sure where you think they had the money.
They had enough money to buy the best thugs in America for football, it isn't just a ton of hillbillies buying seats, it was doctors and attys donating. They are over 1 BILLION in debt now, does it appear they are broke? It would to an accountant but not to a football fan.