1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

AR-15 suggestions

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing, Outdoors' started by dds115, Dec 25, 2011.

1. TulsaCowboy

TulsaCowboy Deputy

That's funny. I went to Academy yesterday to look at this one and another customer at the counter commented on the carbon lower as well. Found this S & W as well,

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757785_-1_757784_757784_image

Thoughts on this one?

2. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit

My AR is the M&Pt with the Troy rail and flip up sights. I love it. There are better barrels and parts but it works for me. Since i started using magpul pmags, I haven't had a single FTF.

3. mr.tpsmith

mr.tpsmith {Insert funny title here} A/V Subscriber

I just bought a AR-15 .223 DPMS for $699. I can't wait to put a couple of boxes in it this weekend. From what I've heard, there really isn't anything wrong with these.
    I am currently an Armorer in the Army down at Sill, so I will hopefully be able to "tweak" it.

OSU Sig likes this.
  4. Propeller

Propeller Wrangler

I built mine and loved the experience. Watching a few hours of instruction video on YouTube. I feel like I know the gun a lot better. With the tools and everything it was about $500. I built mine primarily for taking down zombies though.

PokealypseNow likes this.
  5. TulsaCowboy

TulsaCowboy Deputy

My local gun shop just got in a S & W MP15 Sport. I'm going to pick it up Tomorrow/Thursday. I'm pretty excited. It doesn't have the forward assist or dust cover, but I'm not going to be shooting it in Iraq/or on a beach on a windy day. All the reviews I've read have been very solid.I've already found lots of extras I want to get as well, but 1st things 1st.

6. mr.tpsmith

Review on my AR-15 .223 DPMS: I LOVE IT!
    In addition to the basic weapon, I added a few things from ebay :a rail system off of ($18), a bipod/grip ($22), front sight post ($15) and a .22 CMMG conversion kit ($34).
    All of the additions have fit, and worked out great. I love the .22 conversion kit. I bought 200 rounds for like $10 I think. All you do is just switch out the bolt and magazine. It was much easier than I first thought.
    All in all, I love the DPMS.

7. dds115

dds115 Free Roverto!!! A/V Subscriber

I've been thinking about getting a conversion kit. I'd love to have something cheaper to shoot.

8. pokefun

pokefun gooner hater extraordinaire

That is an exceptional buy on the conversion kit! I have been looking for a dedicated 22lr upper but don't want to spend my .300 aac blk money on it! I never thought about looking on ebay for a conversion kit.

9. dds115

I go back and forth if I should get the conversion kit, or just buy a cheap .22lr dedicated gun. I figure spend a few hundred bucks on a gun and I will be adding to the collection.

10. pokefun

pokefun gooner hater extraordinaire

That is the same way I am. I am going to buy the dedicated upper and then I will have need of yet another lower so I don't have to swap them out all the time.

11. dds115

I figure I'm just going to buy a .22lr gun. They're cheap enough. And if something happens to my lower, I'm not out "2" guns.

12. mr.tpsmith

Go ahead and buy a .223 and get the .22 conversion. That way you get two guns in 1.

13. Erick

I really like my Smith M&P .22. I like having a dedicated .22 for a few reasons but the biggest is weight. The .22 feels like its half as heavy.

OP150 likes this.
  14. Erick

I found a great package deal from Palmetto State Armory. It was built right with excellent parts and includes an Aimpoint PRO. You can upgrade the furniture to Magpul MOE for a little more.

$1,200.00

[​IMG]

Barrel length 16"
    Hammer Forged Barrel
    Machine Gun Steel
    5.56 Nato Chamber
    1 in 7" twist
    Double-thick Chrome-lined bore and chamber
    High pressure tested
    Magnetic particle inspected
    M4A1 profile
    M4 feedramps
    Forged upper
    T-marks
    Full auto bolt carrier
    Carpenter 158 Bolt
    Magnetic particle inspected bolt
    Single Stage Combat Trigger
    6-position Mil-spec diameter buffer tube
    Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic

Magpul MBUS

15. dds115

Going to Bass Pro tonight to get my laser accurate. Going to my friend's ranch this weekend where I'll probably put 200 rounds through the AR. Can't wait.

sc5mu93 and OSU Sig like this.
  16. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 Sheriff

Ordered my first AR: a Bushmaster MOE, which should be showing up at my local dealer tomorrow. Have to forego the optics for the time being due to circumstances outside my control. I can't even go to pick it up tomorrow, as I will be out of town. Next week is gonna be like Christmas for me.

Any suggestions on cheap plinking ammo? I've seen how cheap Wolf is, but also read that some people have issues with that manufacturer.

17. dds115

I have stayed away from steal cased ammo. I have read everything from it is horrible for your gun, to it won't do a darn thing to it. I decided just to not risk it and pay the extra 2-3 bucks per box.

For plinking, I typically go with American Eagle. My local Academy sells it for $6.99 per box.

Congrats on the AR, make sure to post pictures!

18. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 Sheriff

I kinda came to the same conclusion, but just wanted to get some other input. I had been watching the rifle at budsgunshop.com but their price jitter was frustrating. The price of the same rifle would change multiple times in the same day. I understand that there are market suppy/demand dynamics, but as a customer, I find it very frustrating.

I ended up ordering from grabagun.com. They are A rated with BBB and so far, the experience has been easy. AND I got a better deal than buds had shown in months for the same rifle. I will withhold final judgment on grabagun until the rifle is in my hands and is what I bargained for.

19. dds115

I just realized I don't think I ever posted a picture of my final product. Love this gun. The only other thing I think I'll do to it is get a new trigger, but that is probably a few months out.

DSC_0222.JPG DSC_0230.JPG

OSU Sig likes this.
  20. Erick

I agree. Wolf is dirty ammo that isn't very reliable. American Eagle (FAAE223J) is made by Federal and is pretty good for the price. It's a poor round if you want to shoot good groups but works great for plinking.