Big Money Helps Democrats

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
WSJ

"Nancy Pelosi pledged Tuesday night that the new Democratic House will deliver campaign-finance reform to “drain the swamp of dark-interest money in our elections.” That’s a little rich. Mrs. Pelosi’s second run at Speaker comes thanks in large part to a green wave of cash that Democrats surfed to political victory.

Democratic House candidates this cycle raised $951 million as of Oct. 17, the most recent reporting cutoff, according to figures from OpenSecrets.org. That’s nearly 50% more than Republicans. Forty-five percent of donations to these Democratic campaigns came from out of state, compared with 34% for the GOP. Of the 34 red districts at last count that flipped blue Tuesday, the Democrat outraised the Republican in all but seven."

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
When the Dems (or even if the Reps jump on board) say they want to get big donations out of politics, what they mean is they want to make it easier to hide them.......there is NO WAY they will willingly give up all that money. Don't be an idiot people.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
When the Dems (or even if the Reps jump on board) say they want to get big donations out of politics, what they mean is they want to make it easier to hide them.......there is NO WAY they will willingly give up all that money. Don't be an idiot people.
But why are the Democrats always saying they are for the "working men" and then gather their money from the rich?

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Politicians have been saying this for as long as I remember. Yet, ever election cycle is richer than that previous election cycle.

I'm calling it a lie to the American people.

It's amazing some people continue to believe what they say.

Recall for example then candidate Obama promised (signed his name to it as I recall) to accept public financing for his campaign. Yet, when it came time to actually do it, he back tracked. It was a lie and because of his refusal to accept public financing he set records for campaign spending.

When there is this sort of money at stake don't believe what you are told.

Jul 7, 2004
I am old and all my life I have heard Democrats say they are for the working middle class and it has always been a lie. For many in the country however believe that it is true. Democrats only support the rich the poor and illegal immigrants. If these illegals were white and pouring in from Europe they would flip positions at the drop of a hat.

Jun 20, 2012
If you guys are so disgusted, please contact your representatives and urge the repeal or amending of Citizens United. Money shouldn’t get a vote in our elections anyway. Cap the amount of donations any one person can attribute, and deny businesses from donating at all. Elections wouldn’t be nearly as contentious, and the intentions of politicians wouldn’t be questioned because of Dark Money interests.

You do realize there’s a one month window of time super PACs can use right before elections to pour money unaccounted for until the next reporting period, right? It’s a disgusting loophole that you’ll see is exploited from both sides. Read this article knowing there’s points against both parties exploiting this loophole.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/574768/

We won’t know how much money was dumped into these elections and who from until next month.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
If you guys are so disgusted, please contact your representatives and urge the repeal or amending of Citizens United. Money shouldn’t get a vote in our elections anyway. Cap the amount of donations any one person can attribute, and deny businesses from donating at all. Elections wouldn’t be nearly as contentious, and the intentions of politicians wouldn’t be questioned because of Dark Money interests.

You do realize there’s a one month window of time super PACs can use right before elections to pour money unaccounted for until the next reporting period, right? It’s a disgusting loophole that you’ll see is exploited from both sides. Read this article knowing there’s points against both parties exploiting this loophole.

We won’t know how much money was dumped into these elections and who from until next month.
It’s not a loophole, it was purposefully written that way.

Jun 20, 2012

It’s not a loophole, it was purposefully written that way.
Purposefully for whom? Not the general public.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Did it really? For losing candidate he seems really popular.

In 1858 Lincoln lost a Senate race. We all know what happened two years later
No doubt that will be next but the millions spent here was greatly appreciated. Don't have to go back to the 1800s or 1900s to find someone else similar. Not a fan of out of state folks trying to enforce their views on the home state. When they lose and I love it. I might've looked at him but I was going libertarian. Then his campaign started sending me unsolicited texts. As soon as my privacy is invaded, whomever it may be, they're out! Even folks I do business with. You bug me on the house phone and it's one thing. Call or text my cell and it's over.
So I voted for his competition.