Can Boynton get the trifecta?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Bryce Thompson told Tulsa World's Eric Bailey last weekend why OSU and several others (OU, UNC, KU) made his final four. Here's a link. Excerpt...

Oklahoma State has been there since day one. They’ve approached me and made sure that I’m a priority to them.

Coach (Mike) Boynton is a great coach. He texts me almost every day and gives me stats about OSU and why I should go there. He’s a great coach and I had a great visit up there with the guys.

I know two of the players that I used to play with are up there, Keylan and Kalib Boone, who played at Memorial High School. That’s obviously a plus. It’s close to home, too. You can’t beat it.
He plans to make his final decision Tuesday. I also just spoke to our OSU beat writer Frank Bonner II, who said Bryce is expected to be at tonight's season opener.

Last edited:

wook

Deputy
Jun 23, 2005
Sat in the corner near where Bryce Thompson was sitting tonight. I will be shocked if he does not come to OSU. The students were chanting his name and really showing the love, and he was grinning from ear to ear and seemed to be having a great time. After the game he was posing for pictures and giving high fives. It looked sincere to me. I think he’s a POKE!

Dec 6, 2013
We have the #1 overall recruiting class in 2020. The Number 1 and 2 guys are committed to us. So yep we could have a legit shot at a National title in a couple years.
By a couple years, do you mean next season? Because the 1 and 2 guys will likely be in the NBA 24 months from now.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Why would KU even be in the discussion? With the NCAA hammer looming with likely post season bans coming to them and with the Boone twins, Rondel and Cade coming here along with a great “players coach” in Boynton who has been on him since day one, it seems a no-brainer to me.

Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
www.tulsalawyer.org
Thompson's dad played for Bill Self at TU, and he remain good friends with him. I think the only things that keep him from signing with KU is the possibility of probation and being one of many highly recruited players. OU allows him the opportunity to maybe be the star of the team, like Trey Young, and play with his high school teammate Trey Phipps, who he started playing summer ball with at least as young as 6th grade if not younger. OSU was in earliest with an offer and has made consistent follow up. OSU offers him a chance to play close to home with the Boone Twins that he played at least one year of AAU ball with (although I don't think they are that close) and with 2 of last summer AAU teammates (I believe), and the chance to potential be on a great young team with a dynamic young coach. North Carolina offers him the chance to play at a true blue blood program that is all "his deal" since as far as I know his dad is not good friends with the coach like at Kansas and the chance to live in a different part of the country. I think the AD's at NC son may have played on Thompson's dad's AAU team for a short period of time when he was the TU athletic director, but I don't think that is an substantial connection there. I hope he comes to OSU, but I still think Kansas is the frontrunner due to his dad's friendship with Bill Self and I suspect he when to game at KU when is was a kid and maybe even summer camps.

RPG

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2017
Edmond, OK
Why would KU even be in the discussion? With the NCAA hammer looming with likely post season bans coming to them and with the Boone twins, Rondel and Cade coming here along with a great “players coach” in Boynton who has been on him since day one, it seems a no-brainer to me.
Don't hold your breath on the hammer being dropped.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
I sure hope he comes here I really do, but I can't wait until all this is over, because the guys on the court don't need to be hearing "we want Bryce" when they are in the middle of a straight up battle. I know its all in good fun, I just hope the current team sees an increased level of support that they deserve.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
I thought that Marcus Smart would be a program changer when he committed here. We had a lot of exposure while he was here, but we didn't really capitalize on it. We didn't have any postseason success & we didn't really improve our recruiting.

Things could be different with Cunningham though. Smart was a McDonald's AA & a top 15 prospect, but he wasn't nearly as high profile as Cunningham, and he didn't bring a class full of highly rated recruits with him.

This could be a big turning point in this program's history. It's a really exciting time. I don't want to wish this next season away, but I can't wait to see Cunningham is orange & black.
If Cobbins doesn't have a season ending injury we would have been on the road to the Final 4 that year....but I get what you're saying.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Looks like #bringdoughome wasn't such a great idea after all
Probably a touch early to make that call.
Lol, exactly. I'll believe it when I see it if KU gets any real punishment out of this deal.

Oh, & since it involves a blueblood program getting caught offering Zion $$$ to come to Lawrence, don't ever expect this to actually reach Duke. He just went there so he could play at Cameron Indoor.

Jul 7, 2010
Saratoga Springs, NY
I sure hope he comes here I really do, but I can't wait until all this is over, because the guys on the court don't need to be hearing "we want Bryce" when they are in the middle of a straight up battle. I know its all in good fun, I just hope the current team sees an increased level of support that they deserve.
I totally agree with this - but just to play devil's advocate, weren't we up double digits when those chants started? Am I remembering that wrong?

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
this is college sports, not little league.......... guaranteed you are more sensitive than the players are...

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Looks like #bringdoughome wasn't such a great idea after all
Probably a touch early to make that call.
Lol, exactly. I'll believe it when I see it if KU gets any real punishment out of this deal.

Oh, & since it involves a blueblood program getting caught offering Zion $$$ to come to Lawrence, don't ever expect this to actually reach Duke. He just went there so he could play at Cameron Indoor.
Kansas may become the scapegoat to avoid touching Duke. This may very well mean that Kansas does get the hammer.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk