Can't Make It Up: OU Now Wants to Play Opener EARLIER

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-okl...-aug-29-because-of-coronavirus-170236886.html

"According to the Oklahoman, the Sooners have petitioned the NCAA to move up their Sept. 5 game against Missouri State to Aug. 29. FCS-level Missouri State is, per the report, OK with the move.
Oklahoma is reportedly wanting to move the game up so that it could have off weeks after each of its first two games of the season. The Sooners are set to play Tennessee on Sept. 12 before an off week on Sept. 19."

Hmmm, sound 'Ridiculous' to anyone?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
No I think it would be a good idea for all the schools maybe to play that first genie pig game earlier. I'd like to see us get something set up with Arkansas earlier if the PAC is committed to being wimps and limiting Oregon State to only conference games(* not saying Oregon State is wimps...loved these guys, their alumni and their town...like a Stillwater west). Man I'm so glad I went considering the cluster that travel is now. I digress, but If the season is weird, why not use that to get extra rest? Not sure why it would be ridiculous for them or us.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
No I think it would be a good idea for all the schools maybe to play that first genie pig game earlier. I'd like to see us get something set up with Arkansas earlier if the PAC is committed to being wimps and limiting Oregon State (* not saying Oregon State is wimps...loved these guys, their alumni and their town...like a Stillwater west) to only conference games. If the season is weird why not use that to get extra rest. Not sure why it would be ridiculous for them or us.
"Ridiculous" was in reference to Riley saying Gundy's timetable was 'ridiculous."

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-okl...-aug-29-because-of-coronavirus-170236886.html

"According to the Oklahoman, the Sooners have petitioned the NCAA to move up their Sept. 5 game against Missouri State to Aug. 29. FCS-level Missouri State is, per the report, OK with the move.
Oklahoma is reportedly wanting to move the game up so that it could have off weeks after each of its first two games of the season. The Sooners are set to play Tennessee on Sept. 12 before an off week on Sept. 19."

Hmmm, sound 'Ridiculous' to anyone?
It's all ridiculous if it can't be done safely but if they are going to go ahead and play then I see it making sense to have that extra time to evaluate the overall situation. I think every team would like to have that luxury and probably should. The NCAA is not known for wise decisions and may deny it anyway.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
How does this effect practice. Does ou get the same number of preseason practices they normally would but also the extra week during the season? If so sounds like a good strategy.

Oct 30, 2007
I've heard there's a chance that Oklahoma State could do the same thing whenever they schedule a new opener. I'm not going to complain. An extra weekend of college football sounds good to me. :thumbup:

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I've heard there's a chance that Oklahoma State could do the same thing whenever they schedule a new opener. I'm not going to complain. An extra weekend of college football sounds good to me. :thumbup:
Wouldn't be shocking. I know KU's also moved their first game up & there are probably others I'm not aware of.

I can actually see the logic in the decision, in terms of getting one game done, seeing where things shake out, & having a bye week moving forward.

Oct 30, 2007
Wouldn't be shocking. I know KU's also moved their first game up & there are probably others I'm not aware of.

I can actually see the logic in the decision, in terms of getting one game done, seeing where things shake out, & having a bye week moving forward.
Agreed. MLB is having all kinds of fun figuring things out in their first week. College football would probably benefit from a slow & methodical start to get everything figured out as well.