Charles Crawford

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 12, 2007
Maybe this has been posted before but using the search engine here didn't turn up anything. Charles Crawford was a running back in 1983 and 1984. I remember watching him and it looked like he was going to be a star. 6' 2" and 235. He ran a 4.5 and looked like he was going to be the next great running back at OSU. After leaving OSU, he was drafted by the Eagles and played two seasons for Philadelphia. He passed on October 19th, 2018 at 54 years of age. Never could find the cause of death. My Charles Crawford story. I had a job interview in Tulsa in either December 1990 or January 1991. As I'm driving the turnpike leaving OKC and heading to Tulsa, I get a flat tire. Here I am in a suit, have a job interview and I have to change a tire in my 1989 Saleen Mustang on the side of the turnpike. It's cold and a few flakes of snow are falling. I just have finished getting the jack and spare of the car, have begun to untighten the lug nuts and this Nissan 300ZX (if I remember correctly) pulls behind me and out comes this huge guy. He asks if I need some help and he proceeds to change the tire in no time. As he is changing the tire and I'm thanking him profusely, I ask the guy his name and he says "Charles Crawford." I ask "Are you the Charles Crawford that played at OSU and the Eagles?" The guy says "That is me". My mouth falls open and I said "I watched you play at OSU!" Charles followed me to the Bristow exit and I continued on to Tulsa. I interviewed for the job, was hired and this coming January 22, 2021 will be my 30th year. I was actually going to try to find Charles on Facebook and thank him for what he did almost 30 years ago. Looks like I waited too long. RIP Sir and thank you for stopping that one cold day. What a difference you made.

Update to the original post above. I looked at Facebook to see if Charles did have a page and he did. Damn. We have a mutual friend and that is Rusty Hilger. Another fun fact. Rusty and I attended the same elementary school in south OKC, Southern Hills Elementary School. Maybe a relative of Charles will see this post and it will bring a smile to their face. Because of his kindness of stopping, that allowed me to arrive at my job interview timely which has led to a 30 year career. No way would I have made it on time without the assistance of Charles. He handled that wide tire like it was a can of Coke. It would have been fantastic to touch base with Charles and ask him if he remembered stopping that cold day in December 1990 or January 1991 and how it probably changed a life. I may have been hired anyway even showing up late but who knows?

Last edited:

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
He was a monster during a time in the 1984 season when Thurman Thomas was waiting to emerge as a freshman. We were absolutely stacked at RB that year with Shawn Jones, as well.

After his 200 yard game at ASU when we went to Tempe and clobbered the #1 preseason team 45-3, I saw Charles at the Bennett cafeteria the following Monday and congratulated him on a very impressive effort. He was grateful for the acknowledgement and invited me to join him and a few other guys for dinner.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
He was a monster during a time in the 1984 season when Thurman Thomas was waiting to emerge as a freshman. We were absolutely stacked at RB that year with Shawn Jones, as well.

After his 200 yard game at ASU when we went to Tempe and clobbered the #1 preseason team 45-3, I saw Charles at the Bennett cafeteria the following Monday and congratulated him on a very impressive effort. He was grateful for the acknowledgement and invited me to join him and a few other guys for dinner.
He was a difference maker until he got hurt. If not for the knee injury we might be remembering his performances like we do Thurmans and Barry's now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I don't know where you found this but great find. Also don't remember the team wearing Puma shoes in the past but there they are.
Man, that field was brutal!! I remember pick up football games on sunday afternoons on Lewis Field & that surface was literally just the turf on top of asphalt, & it felt like it. When they changed to new turf around '86 or '87, it was like a revelation when compared to the old stuff.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
He was a difference maker until he got hurt. If not for the knee injury we might be remembering his performances like we do Thurmans and Barry's now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Damn, I forgot about that knee injury but remembered him and the other jocks at Bennett. Come to think about it, I remember seeing Charles around on crutches. Seems like I remember him working at IGA, as well.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
One of my fav. Cowboy,1984
He was the star of the 1984 spring scrimmages. Practically shaped toughness to the 1984 run Defense.
Too bad he got injured in the middle of the season.

RIP Dear Charles.

Jul 18, 2020
US
Maybe this has been posted before but using the search engine here didn't turn up anything. Charles Crawford was a running back in 1983 and 1984. I remember watching him and it looked like he was going to be a star. 6' 2" and 235. He ran a 4.5 and looked like he was going to be the next great running back at OSU. After leaving OSU, he was drafted by the Eagles and played two seasons for Philadelphia. He passed on October 19th, 2018 at 54 years old. Never could find the cause of death. My Charles Crawford story. I had a job interview in Tulsa in either December 1990 or January 1991. As I'm driving the turnpike leaving OKC and heading to Tulsa, I get a flat tire. Here I am in a suit, have a job interview and I have to change a tire in my 1989 Saleen Mustang on the side of the turnpike. It's cold and a few flakes of snow are falling. I just have finished getting the jack and spare of the car, have begun to untighten the lug nuts and this Nissan 300ZX (if I remember correctly) pulls behind me and out comes this huge guy. He asks if I need some help and he proceeds to change the tire in no time. As he is changing the tire and I'm thanking him profusely, I ask the guy his name and he says "Charles Crawford." I ask "Are you the Charles Crawford that played at OSU and the Eagles?" The guy says "That is me". My mouth falls open and I said "I watched you play at OSU!" Charles followed me to the Bristow exit and I continued on to Tulsa. I interviewed for the job, was hired and this coming January 22, 2021 will be my 30th year. I was actually going to try to find Charles on Facebook and thank him for what he did almost 30 years ago. Looks like I waited too long. RIP Sir and thank you for stopping that one cold day. What a difference you made.

Update to the original post above. I looked at Facebook to see if Charles did have a page and he did. Damn. We have a mutual friend and that is Rusty Hilger. Another fun fact. Rusty and I attended the same elementary school in south OKC, Southern Hills Elementary School. Maybe a relative of Charles will see this post and it will bring a smile to their face. Because of his kindness of stopping, that allowed me to arrive at my job interview timely which has led to a 30 year career. No way would I have made it on time without the assistance of Charles. He handled that wide tire like it was a can of Coke. It would have been fantastic to touch base with Charles and ask him if he remembered stopping that cold day in December 1990 or January 1991 and how it probably changed a life. I may have been hired anyway even showing up late but who knows?
Such a beautiful tribute to my big brother!!! I am proud to introduce my self as Charles' baby sister, Nicole. Thank you all for remembering Charles and sharing his story. Rest well Douglas!!! We miss you!!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Such a beautiful tribute to my big brother!!! I am proud to introduce my self as Charles' baby sister, Nicole. Thank you all for remembering Charles and sharing his story. Rest well Douglas!!! We miss you!!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
"My lil sister could have run through the holes"

Charles quoted after his big performance against Arizona State in dishing the praises and the credits to his OLs.

I was impressed hearing from a person whom I witnessed being thrown out off the Annex basketball court for arrogantly keep dunking when warned multiple times. He was always competitive and stubborn sometimes as I noticed....but humble and helpful as I noticed while he was working at IGA Grocery Store (I guess now is the Annex Library?) next to the First Bank or something? that now is the oSu purchasing office.