City of Stillwater thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
Yep, And when they're the only one closed on Sunday, the market will determine how fast they close their business.
I dunno. There are several restaurants in the small berg where I reside that are closed on Sunday. They seem to be doing fine.

It's going to depend on the market where each store is located. If it's a short trip to the closest open liquor joint, and they find themselves short on booze, they'll probably go get some. If it's a long way, they might go get some and they might not, but even if they do, the next time they need some and it ain't Sunday, they'll likely still go to the one that's closest.

YMMV

edit to add - In the end, I think it should be the business owner's decision to be open and when, and not the result of some arbitrary rule imposed by government.

Sep 25, 2006
BA
I dunno. There are several restaurants in the small berg where I reside that are closed on Sunday. They seem to be doing fine.

It's going to depend on the market where each store is located. If it's a short trip to the closest open liquor joint, and they find themselves short on booze, they'll probably go get some. If it's a long way, they might go get some and they might not, but even if they do, the next time they need some and it ain't Sunday, they'll likely still go to the one that's closest.

YMMV

edit to add - In the end, I think it should be the business owner's decision to be open and when, and not the result of some arbitrary rule imposed by government.
Restaurants aren't liquor stores. There are a lot of businesses that are closed on certain days of the week and do just fine. There is a great restaurant near us that is closed on Sundays and another that is #1 on yelp that is closed on Mondays. But, the difference is I can count the number of liquor stores near me on one hand, I can't do that with restaurants. I'm not saying it'll happen overnight, but the possibility of them closing increases if they stay closed if their competitors are open. That's how businesses are ran. If you can't differentiate yourself from your competitors, then why would anyone come to your store?

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
I"m saying if the small amount of business they lose on Sunday doesn't cause them to lose any share of their Monday - Saturday business, it won't cause them any grief.

If not being open on Sunday causes their business to decline the other days of the week, and they lose market share, then yes, it will cause them to have to reevaluate.

I can count the number of liquor stores within 6 miles of me on one finger. I don't thing it's gonna hurt her M-Sa business in the least. Again, it is going to depend on the market, and I'll leave the market evaluations to the folks that own the liquor stores.

In the end, I don't give a shit. I don't wait until I'm out to go buy more.

Sep 25, 2006
BA
I"m saying if the small amount of business they lose on Sunday doesn't cause them to lose any share of their Monday - Saturday business, it won't cause them any grief.

If not being open on Sunday causes their business to decline the other days of the week, and they lose market share, then yes, it will cause them to have to reevaluate.

I can count the number of liquor stores within 6 miles of me on one finger. I don't thing it's gonna hurt her M-Sa business in the least. Again, it is going to depend on the market, and I'll leave the market evaluations to the folks that own the liquor stores.

In the end, I don't give a shit. I don't wait until I'm out to go buy more.
Completely agree, and the expense for being open an extra day may not be worth the sales, except for days like SB Sunday. Who knows. But, at least the business owners have the freedom to be open if they want.

OSUFan

Born to wear orange!
A/V Subscriber
Jul 13, 2007
Stillwater, OK
So they're not making the move to the old Joseppi's, they're just shutting down?
Dear Members and Friends,

As you know, the Board of Directors of the WONDERtorium, our capital campaign advisors, Shelley Cagle, the WONDERtorium's Development Director and I have been working since mid-Summer of 2019 to raise donations for Phase 1 of our goal to purchase the former Mojo's restaurant building as our new location. We set the goal for Phase 1 at $2 million and when reached, we could move into Phase 2 where we would qualify to apply for major corporation and foundation programs to renovate and build out the facility with all new exhibits. To these major donors, reaching the very significant funding of $2 million shows the community's commitment and excitement for the project.

At the end of 2019, having secured one-third of our goal in contributions and pledges along with discussions with local donors we felt we could reach our Phase 1 goal by the end of March. However, in late February of this year we realized we would not make it. With the lack of a lead donor and significant barriers affecting our progress, the Board of Directors voted to suspend the campaign and not pursue the new location.

When the WONDERtorium opened in October of 2011, the board and staff knew we'd need to move eventually. As everyone will attest, the building we're in currently is adequate but certainly not ideal for a children's museum. The fact that the current location has served over 360,000 visitors in its 9 years of
existence is a testament to our staff (especially our “clean team” of young college students and museum managers). Their diligence in keeping the facility in serviceable shape has given us more years than we expected. However, the building is aging and we all would like to update exhibits and add space. Financial sustainability was no longer viable or successful in our current location.

After much deliberation, in late February, the Board voted to discontinue operations at the current location effective December 31, 2020.

From the first seed of the “dream” of a children's museum in Stillwater in 2001, every step has been approached with enthusiasm and positivity and we're continuing that path throughout 2020. In fact, our goal in 2020 is to continue our history of fun “play to learn” experiences for as many children and families as possible. Our year’s theme is “Our Favorite Things” and we are adjusting our monthly themes and activities to include many of your favorite events at the museum.

To name just a few of these activities ...

March's theme is “Full STEAM Ahead” and we have “Playcation” with Eskimo Joe's as our partner and a full Spring Break week of creative activities that reinforce science-technology-engineering-art-and math.

Starting in June and ending in July, please join us for weekly themed in-museum workshops, Tuesdays-Thursdays from 1 to 4pm.

Our highly successful “You and Me” Building Nights will be FREE each Tuesday evening in June and July.

Look for “Eat, Read and Play” sessions in the month of July! We'll be partnering with Stillwater Public Schools and visitors will receive free lunches, Pioneer Book Bus visits and a free day of play each Monday through Thursday, when they arrive between 10 to 11am.

Our very most FAVORITE things: Museum Alive, Frankenstein Fun, the Celebration of Our Native Heritage and Cupcakes with Mrs. Claus will fill out the fall.

And, on December 31, 2020, during our Noon Year's Eve celebration, we will celebrate nine years of providing the wonderful world of play for children and families from Stillwater, all 77 Oklahoma counties, all 50 states, and over 40 different countries.

We thank you ALL for your support and enthusiasm! Please come visit us often!

Aug 16, 2012
Dear Members and Friends,

As you know, the Board of Directors of the WONDERtorium, our capital campaign advisors, Shelley Cagle, the WONDERtorium's Development Director and I have been working since mid-Summer of 2019 to raise donations for Phase 1 of our goal to purchase the former Mojo's restaurant building as our new location. We set the goal for Phase 1 at $2 million and when reached, we could move into Phase 2 where we would qualify to apply for major corporation and foundation programs to renovate and build out the facility with all new exhibits. To these major donors, reaching the very significant funding of $2 million shows the community's commitment and excitement for the project.

At the end of 2019, having secured one-third of our goal in contributions and pledges along with discussions with local donors we felt we could reach our Phase 1 goal by the end of March. However, in late February of this year we realized we would not make it. With the lack of a lead donor and significant barriers affecting our progress, the Board of Directors voted to suspend the campaign and not pursue the new location.

When the WONDERtorium opened in October of 2011, the board and staff knew we'd need to move eventually. As everyone will attest, the building we're in currently is adequate but certainly not ideal for a children's museum. The fact that the current location has served over 360,000 visitors in its 9 years of
existence is a testament to our staff (especially our “clean team” of young college students and museum managers). Their diligence in keeping the facility in serviceable shape has given us more years than we expected. However, the building is aging and we all would like to update exhibits and add space. Financial sustainability was no longer viable or successful in our current location.

After much deliberation, in late February, the Board voted to discontinue operations at the current location effective December 31, 2020.

From the first seed of the “dream” of a children's museum in Stillwater in 2001, every step has been approached with enthusiasm and positivity and we're continuing that path throughout 2020. In fact, our goal in 2020 is to continue our history of fun “play to learn” experiences for as many children and families as possible. Our year’s theme is “Our Favorite Things” and we are adjusting our monthly themes and activities to include many of your favorite events at the museum.

To name just a few of these activities ...

March's theme is “Full STEAM Ahead” and we have “Playcation” with Eskimo Joe's as our partner and a full Spring Break week of creative activities that reinforce science-technology-engineering-art-and math.

Starting in June and ending in July, please join us for weekly themed in-museum workshops, Tuesdays-Thursdays from 1 to 4pm.

Our highly successful “You and Me” Building Nights will be FREE each Tuesday evening in June and July.

Look for “Eat, Read and Play” sessions in the month of July! We'll be partnering with Stillwater Public Schools and visitors will receive free lunches, Pioneer Book Bus visits and a free day of play each Monday through Thursday, when they arrive between 10 to 11am.

Our very most FAVORITE things: Museum Alive, Frankenstein Fun, the Celebration of Our Native Heritage and Cupcakes with Mrs. Claus will fill out the fall.

And, on December 31, 2020, during our Noon Year's Eve celebration, we will celebrate nine years of providing the wonderful world of play for children and families from Stillwater, all 77 Oklahoma counties, all 50 states, and over 40 different countries.

We thank you ALL for your support and enthusiasm! Please come visit us often!
Sad, but with what is going on right now, would not be surprised to see this moved up to within the next 60 days.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Freddie Paul's closing until this is over.
Bad Brad's closing until they find and move to a new location on the west side.
TS Fork closing permanently.
Never tried TS Fork, but heard good things about it. That location at White Barn Estates is a challenge, no doubt about it.

Loved Bad Brad's over the years, but again, just an awful location. Hopefully a move to the west side will be good for them.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Never tried TS Fork, but heard good things about it. That location at White Barn Estates is a challenge, no doubt about it.

Loved Bad Brad's over the years, but again, just an awful location. Hopefully a move to the west side will be good for them.
I eat at Bad Brad's in Yukon pretty regularly. Only had one bad experience there in many years and was comped very well and immediately by the manager.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Not much seems to thrive at white barn estates.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
When it first opened, I thought it was a great idea.

Had a good friend that worked for the owner & lived in one of the places & another involved in the first restaurant there.

Let's just say $hit$how would be an understatement.

You build a golf course & put lights in, then shut night golfing down when school starts? The restaurant was also an abject disaster.

Don't know if he still owns it or not, but the owner wouldn't hire competent people & just get the hell ouf of the way, despite the fact he had zero experience doing anything like running a restaurant or golf course.

Could have been so much better than it turned out to be.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
When it first opened, I thought it was a great idea.

Had a good friend that worked for the owner & lived in one of the places & another involved in the first restaurant there.

Let's just say $hit$how would be an understatement.

You build a golf course & put lights in, then shut night golfing down when school starts? The restaurant was also an abject disaster.

Don't know if he still owns it or not, but the owner wouldn't hire competent people & just get the hell ouf of the way, despite the fact he had zero experience doing anything like running a restaurant or golf course.

Could have been so much better than it turned out to be.
My roommates and I were the first people to live in our unit at White Barn. Loved/hated it. Loved the amenities, hated the management. That restaurant out there could have been so much more than what it was. The food was just fine, they had a good selection of tap beer, a fucking game room, and it was just a nice place. The golf course was good enough for a par 3 in a gated duplex neighborhood. And the duplexes are really nice for what rent was/is.

But man, I get what you're saying about the owner. He seemed to be the problem. That place could flourish with the right management. It's got everything.

Edit: Just remembered the first restaurant's name. Marshall Dillon's!

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Just heard there is a Mexican restaurant going into the old pizza hut building on North main.

Also apparently a new housing development at Jardot and 19th

Oct 22, 2005
Stillwater
Just heard there is a Mexican restaurant going into the old pizza hut building on North main.

Also apparently a new housing development at Jardot and 19th

Do you mean the old delivery place on Boomer?

There are several large subdivisions in various stages of planning. The one on 19th is actually just outside city limits, but will use City utilities.