Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I post this with no commentary, other than to say, they are engaging in the same (but opposite) sensationalism.

https://youtu.be/5pIMD1enwd4

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Mar 11, 2006
I post this with no commentary, other than to say, they are engaging in the same (but opposite) sensationalism.

I admit I don’t know what is accurate. But IMO, facts seem to indicate that draconian measures to shut down all businesses deemed “non-essential”, throw tens of millions out of jobs, decrease GDP by the largest amount ever (as currently projected), grow the debt untold amounts, and move job growth back 24 years (according The Economist) doesn’t seem the best solution.

There has to be a better solution. I understand and appreciate that people that want the draconian measures are doing so to save lives. But we need to be analytical. Would you spend $1 to save one life — of course. But would you spend multiple trillions to save one life, probably not. If data is showing there is not much of a difference between the results from other countries and states, and we can do so without negatively impacting livelihood - we need a debate about that now.

For those that think we need to shut down the economy instead of being prudent, I ask .. why are countries that have not closed bars and restaurants, and states that don’t have statewide stay-at-home order not have a higher death and/or case load than others? Also, why are we not hearing reports that retail workers in business like Walmart, Home Depot, and convenience stores not getting the virus at a statistical higher level?

I certainly agree we need to practice distancing and hygiene (I keep a bottle of Purel with me), but I think there is a better solution.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I admit I don’t know what is accurate. But IMO, facts seem to indicate that draconian measures to shut down all businesses deemed “non-essential”, throw tens of millions out of jobs, decrease GDP by the largest amount ever (as currently projected), grow the debt untold amounts, and move job growth back 24 years (according The Economist) doesn’t seem the best solution.

There has to be a better solution. I understand and appreciate that people that want the draconian measures are doing so to save lives. But we need to be analytical. Would you spend $1 to save one life — of course. But would you spend multiple trillions to save one life, probably not. If data is showing there is not much of a difference between the results from other countries and states, and we can do so without negatively impacting livelihood - we need a debate about that now.

For those that think we need to shut down the economy instead of being prudent, I ask .. why are countries that have not closed bars and restaurants, and states that don’t have statewide stay-at-home order not have a higher death and/or case load than others? Also, why are we not hearing reports that retail workers in business like Walmart, Home Depot, and convenience stores not getting the virus at a statistical higher level?

I certainly agree we need to practice distancing and hygiene (I keep a bottle of Purel with me), but I think there is a better solution.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/during-pandemic-unanticipated-problem-health-150355070.html

Yet another unintended consequence: healthcare workers are being laid off, flexed off, & taking pay cuts because hospital beds are empty.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Out of all the conspiracy theories running rampant in the comments on this YouTube video, probably the funniest is the people that are popping up saying don't get tested because that is how the people are really getting infected.

Of course they ignore the people in the comments that are trying to point out to them that in several situations there are no way to date the actual videos being taken because they don't show a newspaper or anything. In one case the date placed on the video by the person who took it shows an empty parking lot of a place on a Saturday where that place wasn't even doing any testing on Saturdays.
I mean in most cases, a lot of these places are in areas where people have been told don't come get tested call first. They also neglect to remember that it's really the ICU's that are where the patients are, they are not in the ER they're not sitting in waiting rooms and they're not standing in lines.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I hear that hospitals in Tulsa are looking to latoffs as well because they have been told to cancel all non essential procedures so they are basically vacant and about 1/3 census right now. It is what it is...we have chosen this path to fight the virus and we may find it wasn’t necessary. My hope is that is the case which will mean we won.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
https://www.yahoo.com/news/during-pandemic-unanticipated-problem-health-150355070.html

Yet another unintended consequence: healthcare workers are being laid off, flexed off, & taking pay cuts because hospital beds are empty.
This just goes back to the fact that there was no actionable plan in place. Too, too many fragmented decisions being made on the fly based on incomplete data at best. And please don't take that as a political statement, we just weren't ready no matter who was in charge in what country. We truly need to learn from this one for the next one.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
"We will be with our friends again, we will be with our families again, we will meet...again. "

Queen Elizabeth II

Uplifting speech from her desk at Windsor...give it a google...Historic and well worth it.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
UK PM Boris Johnson has been hospitalized
Just to speak about this, they said it was precautionary and for a series of test...true he is hospitalized, but we don't really know the extent of it. Hope he recovers quickly...he's been a breath of fresh air for the UK.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Just to speak about this, they said it was precautionary and for a series of test...true he is hospitalized, but we don't really know the extent of it. Hope he recovers quickly...he's been a breath of fresh air for the UK.
I think on Fox they said he's had moderate symptoms for a few days.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This just goes back to the fact that there was no actionable plan in place. Too, too many fragmented decisions being made on the fly based on incomplete data at best. And please don't take that as a political statement, we just weren't ready no matter who was in charge in what country. We truly need to learn from this one for the next one.
What's disturbing about the numbers constantly changing is that some studies now project a death toll in the US of about 94,000 by August. That's 14,000 more than H1N1 2 years ago. 14,000.

We're gonna have a stockpile of $hit sitting around when this is over.

I tend to agree with you though, this was gonna be tough to handle no matter which party was in charge.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I hear that hospitals in Tulsa are looking to latoffs as well because they have been told to cancel all non essential procedures so they are basically vacant and about 1/3 census right now. It is what it is...we have chosen this path to fight the virus and we may find it wasn’t necessary. My hope is that is the case which will mean we won.
If I was a nurse, I would take up NYC on their offer to pay me $10K a week plus room and board for a 21 day stint.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Germany has backed off their claims...https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...-latest-news/#link-GQ4VHJ7T2ZGQPD3VUWO5W6QZRU

A Berlin official, who accused the U.S. administration of “piracy” after 200,000 masks for the city police went missing, backtracked Saturday and said the masks were ordered from a German firm.

In a statement distributed by the city mayor’s office and senate a day earlier, Andreas Geisel, Berlin’s senator for the interior, was quoted as saying a delivery of FFP2 masks only made it as far as Bangkok before it was “confiscated".

He had said the consignment was ordered from a U.S. firm and “we are currently assuming that this is related to the U.S. government’s ban on mask exports.” Berlin Mayor Michael Muller also weighed in Friday to call President Trump’s alleged actions “inhumane and unacceptable.”

But Geisel wrote on Twitter on Saturday that he had clarified that the order was placed with a German firm and that supply chain issues were being "reviewed".

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
How would we find that, Fox Butterfield?
You are right, if it seems it was unnecessary that will mean we won. IF it appears that we didn't need the measures, we likely won't be able to prove we didn't need the measusres...no way to win, except to do the measures and hope it appears that we didn't need them... Irony.