Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
It will be very easy to track, compare, & contrast the larger school districts. Their policies are easy to find.
You assume they're all going to have up to date and transparent data on cases in their schools. I'm not convinced that will be the case and certainly not uniform. People think interstate differences in procedures are messy, schools will be a poo-filled dumpster of variation in reporting and testing standards. Add that confusion to how people will understand community spread, especially in metros, once schools get back in session and it will be at least a solid month or two before we have much of an idea of how in person school affected outbreaks for the community and/or state.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
You assume they're all going to have up to date and transparent data on cases in their schools. I'm not convinced that will be the case and certainly not uniform. People think interstate differences in procedures are messy, schools will be a poo-filled dumpster of variation in reporting and testing standards. Add that confusion to how people will understand community spread, especially in metros, once schools get back in session and it will be at least a solid month or two before we have much of an idea of how in person school affected outbreaks for the community and/or state.
If the validity of the data is your concern I have bad news about the other stuff you’re probably looking at...

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
If the validity of the data is your concern I have bad news about the other stuff you’re probably looking at...
Never said I had a concern, except as it applies to making generalized determinations about the effectiveness of masks from early school data. You stated we'd know a lot more about the effectiveness of masks soon from schools starting soon. My point is it's going to muddy the waters for a while.

My job is mostly data collection/aggregation and analysis. The reported data is inconsistent from state to state, but that's not the same as invalid.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Never said I had a concern, except as it applies to making generalized determinations about the effectiveness of masks from early school data. You stated we'd know a lot more about the effectiveness of masks soon from schools starting soon. My point is it's going to muddy the waters for a while.

My job is mostly data collection/aggregation and analysis. The reported data is inconsistent from state to state, but that's not the same as invalid.
You are putting words in my mouth. I said the real test will begin once school starts. I’m not saying and never said we will know the results as soon as school starts. It will probably be the best baseline we have had yet IF we can get good data on it. I would think for the bigger school districts that could happen but you could be right as well. If you’re saying we can’t fully trust the data or analytics being put out there in general I actually agree with that. There are problems with the consistency and validity of the data. To what extent, none of us know. I don’t work with data but I have a team of analysts that do. I understand the effects of not having one data dictionary so to speak. The goal is to get to one truth and clearly we don’t have that. But I suppose it’s all we have right now and a lot of decisions are being made off of it.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I’m sure the reasons for that are numerous. The real test will come once school starts. That seems to really amp up social life in general.
Not sure how that's a good test of mask mandates, at least in the sense of seeing their effectiveness in the data. City or county wide mask mandates are going to be different animals from school mask mandates. You might get data on schools that have mask mandates vs those that don't, but I'm not sure how many schools are making masks optional. Just looking at statewide data during that time will be a mess because of the heterogeneity in school and community approaches.
It will be very easy to track, compare, & contrast the larger school districts. Their policies are easy to find.
Not putting words in your mouth. If you weren't meaning that we'd find out very quickly about how effective masks were based on school data, the bolded passages are definitely confusing.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Not putting words in your mouth. If you weren't meaning that we'd find out very quickly about how effective masks were based on school data, the bolded passages are definitely confusing.
Shouldn’t be confusing. I don’t mention anything about the timeframe of results. If I said we’ll find out soon you might have a point. All I said is the real test is about to start soon. If you couldn’t understand it then now that I’ve explained it more than once I would hope you are no longer confused. If you’re just trying to play a game of gotcha I’m not interested in that.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Shouldn’t be confusing. I don’t mention anything about the timeframe of results. If I said we’ll find out soon you might have a point. All I said is the real test is about to start soon. If you couldn’t understand it then now that I’ve explained it more than once I would hope you are no longer confused. If you’re just trying to play a game of gotcha I’m not interested in that.
Not a gotcha thing. You accused me of putting words in your mouth. I walked you back through your own words to show that wasn't the case. You literally said it would be easy to compare schools. As for the timeframe you supposedly didn't give, once I'm done typing this, I'm going to bang my head into a wall for having this conversation. Clearly there's no implication of time there. Maybe I mean two months from now after I've had time to analyze the data on its impact on my life. Again, I'm only pointing this out because you accused me of putting words in your mouth. It's an anonymous message board and I assume we mostly type this in haste.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

I wish you luck with this.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Not a gotcha thing. You accused me of putting words in your mouth. I walked you back through your own words to show that wasn't the case. You literally said it would be easy to compare schools. As for the timeframe you supposedly didn't give, once I'm done typing this, I'm going to bang my head into a wall for having this conversation. Clearly there's no implication of time there. Maybe I mean two months from now after I've had time to analyze the data on its impact on my life. Again, I'm only pointing this out because you accused me of putting words in your mouth. It's an anonymous message board and I assume we mostly type this in haste.
He's like Trump, he says what he means, except for that. He didn't mean that.