Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Quarantine camps won’t go well here at all. Plus they were supposed to be the brilliant ones who defeated the virus through great leadership. Or at least that’s what our media said.
https://www.axios.com/new-zealand-n...ree-1f209ae3-46e5-4343-b076-189bde8c3953.html
Just look at this headline. Remember how are talking heads were saying this is who we need to follow?
https://mobile.twitter.com/_reddpill/status/1293786621477654528
thats why no one will call for it here. The article is about the UK people calling for it.

It will be interesting if it works. New Zealand went 101 days without a case and only have 14 in the country now.

It seems to be working in Scotland. What happens if the UK adopts it and wipes out COVID there.

Does it become too good a result for the US to ignore ?

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
thats why no one will call for it here. The article is about the UK people calling for it.

It will be interesting if it works. New Zealand went 101 days without a case and only have 14 in the country now.

It seems to be working in Scotland. What happens if the UK adopts it and wipes out COVID there.

Does it become too good a result for the US to ignore ?
It went from zero to 14 on a lockdown island. I’m failing to see the success.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
101 days of no COVID and now they have 24 as of today.

It was 100% success for 3 months+ which is by far the biggest success of anyone. The strangest thing is they don't know how the COVID got in again. They are still trying to figure that out

They have imposed another 12 day lockdown in Auckland to try to contain it and study how it got in

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Really?

I’ve seen 14 in a couple of shifts in one ER in one city that isn’t even one of the worst hit. How is 14 cases in a country that had zero cases for a long time and was able to return to normal not a success? Sure, compared to utopia, but compared to us they have been overwhelmimgly successful with less deaths, less cases, more time of normality, and a smaller drop in GDP.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005

Really?

I’ve seen 14 in a couple of shifts in one ER in one city that isn’t even one of the worst hit. How is 14 cases in a country that had zero cases for a long time and was able to return to normal not a success? Sure, compared to utopia, but compared to us they have been overwhelmimgly successful with less deaths, less cases, more time of normality, and a smaller drop in GDP.
Because they were a zero in complete lockdown on an island nation of only 5 million people. 85% of the population are European and Asian and they are very conscious of being clean and healthy living. This place is one of the easiest on the planet to lockdown and stop the flow of humanity. And they did do it. Then they declared victory and eased up the lockdown. Boom. It’s back but not from outsiders. This is the point I’m trying to get us to think about. If anyone noticed, I’ve argued both sides of this issue and still haven’t decided where I fall. If this island can’t shake it after 100 free days, then we are screwed.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Quarantine camps won’t go well here at all. Plus they were supposed to be the brilliant ones who defeated the virus through great leadership. Or at least that’s what our media said.
https://www.axios.com/new-zealand-n...ree-1f209ae3-46e5-4343-b076-189bde8c3953.html
If you don’t want to click axios it says June 8, New Zealand is now free of Coronavirus.
Just look at this headline. Remember how our talking heads were saying this is who we need to follow?
https://mobile.twitter.com/_reddpill/status/1293786621477654528
What New Zealand is experiencing is call "second wave". It will be much, much smaller than their first, which was pretty small. We're still in our first wave because we've never effectively dealt with it.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Because they were a zero in complete lockdown on an island nation of only 5 million people. 85% of the population are European and Asian and they are very conscious of being clean and healthy living. This place is one of the easiest on the planet to lockdown and stop the flow of humanity. And they did do it. Then they declared victory and eased up the lockdown. Boom. It’s back but not from outsiders. This is the point I’m trying to get us to think about. If anyone noticed, I’ve argued both sides of this issue and still haven’t decided where I fall. If this island can’t shake it after 100 free days, then we are screwed.
1597430225818.png

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
What did you think was the goal? What would you consider success? While it is very bad news that it returned on supplies as that will make it much more difficult, they still have a lot fewer dead New Zealanders.
Hawaii is an island with 1.4 million people and has twice as many deaths as New Zealand. I think the primary goal is trying to stop morbidity and mortality. They are more successful than nearly anyone.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Someone needs to take some memberberries, cause memberies are so short...

The Trump administration tried to do the right thing with quarantines and travel bans, but this was called "racist" and "fear-mongering". Travelers into the US who were quarantined would have had to have been put in facilities like New Zealand is doing now. I mean, after all, you can't just leave them in the airport.

It is an interesting phenomenon, any measure that is taken by anyone anywhere to combat this pandemic makes some of you run around like your heads are on fire and your asses are catchin'. But quarantining cases and exposed people is exactly how New Zealand should deal with their second wave. We're cancelling football in our first. We're the morons.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...nd-coronavirus-quarantine-travel-restrictions

Trump health officials defend coronavirus quarantine, travel restrictions
BY NATHANIEL WEIXEL - 02/07/20 05:43 PM EST 104

U.S. health officials on Friday defended the Trump administration’s quarantine and travel restrictions that were implemented in response to the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus.

“The travel restrictions that we put in place in consultation with the president were very measured and incremental,” Alex Azar, secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), told reporters. “These were the uniform recommendations of the career public health officials here at HHS.”

Last week, the administration declared a public health emergency because of the virus, and imposed a mandatory 14-day quarantine for any U.S. citizen who recently traveled to China’s Hubei province — the epicenter of the outbreak.

Trump also imposed a ban on foreign nationals entering the U.S. who traveled to China in the past 14 days.

The restrictions have come under fire from public health experts, as well as members of the international community.

The top official from the World Health Organization (WHO) earlier this week said there was no need for measures that “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade” and might increase fear.

The Chinese government has also accused the U.S. of spreading fears and reacting inappropriately to the virus.

China has essentially locked down the entire Hubei province, a move that the WHO praised as helping to reduce the number of cases of the coronavirus outside the country.

But as the virus has spread, Chinese authorities have locked down an additional 30 million people across cities in the province of Zhejiang, hundreds of miles from the Hubei province, according to The Washington Post.

Anthony Fauci, head of the infectious disease division at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), said the U.S. restrictions are not a perfect solution, but the positives outweigh the negatives.

“[The] negative components people say is, you incite panic in a country, or you have difficulties with resources getting in and out," Fauci said. "Thus far, there's been no panic in the country ... so the kinds of collateral damage that you're concerned about have not occurred."

Fauci added that health officials understand the unprecedented nature of imposing such restrictions.

“This is a temporary thing. We're not talking about something that's permanent, so we recognize the potential negatives of it, but this decision was not made lightly,” he said.

Meanwhile, Azar said U.S. officials are also still waiting on China to accept their offer to send experts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to help with the coronavirus outbreak.

“At this point, it's really a decision for the Chinese,” Azar said. “We have made the request now for almost a month, saying we are ready, willing, and able” to support the Chinese government with their response to the coronavirus.

Azar said HHS provided the WHO with the names of 13 individuals from U.S. agencies such as the CDC, NIH and HHS’s Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority. Those people are among the 25 members of an international WHO team.

“We continue to expect fully that President Xi will accept that team that the WHO has put together,” Azar said.

Updated: 6:21 p.m.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
What did you think was the goal? What would you consider success? While it is very bad news that it returned on supplies as that will make it much more difficult, they still have a lot fewer dead New Zealanders.
Hawaii is an island with 1.4 million people and has twice as many deaths as New Zealand. I think the primary goal is trying to stop morbidity and mortality. They are more successful than nearly anyone.
Sweden (64 per sq mi) and New Zealand (46 per sq mi) have comparable population densities. Yet, their deaths per million pop... well, they couldn't be any more different.

1597430845898.png

1597430897407.png

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Someone needs to take some memberberries, cause memberies are so short...

The Trump administration tried to do the right thing with quarantines and travel bans, but this was called "racist" and "fear-mongering". Travelers into the US who were quarantined would have had to have been put in facilities like New Zealand is doing now. I mean, after all, you can't just leave them in the airport.

It is an interesting phenomenon, any measure that is taken by anyone anywhere to combat this pandemic makes some of you run around like your heads are on fire and your asses are catchin'. But quarantining cases and exposed people is exactly how New Zealand should deal with their second wave. We're cancelling football in our first. We're the morons.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...nd-coronavirus-quarantine-travel-restrictions

Trump health officials defend coronavirus quarantine, travel restrictions
BY NATHANIEL WEIXEL - 02/07/20 05:43 PM EST 104

U.S. health officials on Friday defended the Trump administration’s quarantine and travel restrictions that were implemented in response to the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus.

“The travel restrictions that we put in place in consultation with the president were very measured and incremental,” Alex Azar, secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), told reporters. “These were the uniform recommendations of the career public health officials here at HHS.”

Last week, the administration declared a public health emergency because of the virus, and imposed a mandatory 14-day quarantine for any U.S. citizen who recently traveled to China’s Hubei province — the epicenter of the outbreak.

Trump also imposed a ban on foreign nationals entering the U.S. who traveled to China in the past 14 days.

The restrictions have come under fire from public health experts, as well as members of the international community.

The top official from the World Health Organization (WHO) earlier this week said there was no need for measures that “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade” and might increase fear.

The Chinese government has also accused the U.S. of spreading fears and reacting inappropriately to the virus.

China has essentially locked down the entire Hubei province, a move that the WHO praised as helping to reduce the number of cases of the coronavirus outside the country.

But as the virus has spread, Chinese authorities have locked down an additional 30 million people across cities in the province of Zhejiang, hundreds of miles from the Hubei province, according to The Washington Post.

Anthony Fauci, head of the infectious disease division at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), said the U.S. restrictions are not a perfect solution, but the positives outweigh the negatives.

“[The] negative components people say is, you incite panic in a country, or you have difficulties with resources getting in and out," Fauci said. "Thus far, there's been no panic in the country ... so the kinds of collateral damage that you're concerned about have not occurred."

Fauci added that health officials understand the unprecedented nature of imposing such restrictions.

“This is a temporary thing. We're not talking about something that's permanent, so we recognize the potential negatives of it, but this decision was not made lightly,” he said.

Meanwhile, Azar said U.S. officials are also still waiting on China to accept their offer to send experts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to help with the coronavirus outbreak.

“At this point, it's really a decision for the Chinese,” Azar said. “We have made the request now for almost a month, saying we are ready, willing, and able” to support the Chinese government with their response to the coronavirus.

Azar said HHS provided the WHO with the names of 13 individuals from U.S. agencies such as the CDC, NIH and HHS’s Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority. Those people are among the 25 members of an international WHO team.

“We continue to expect fully that President Xi will accept that team that the WHO has put together,” Azar said.

Updated: 6:21 p.m.
This isn’t about quarantine at home or a city lockdown. This is now about you leaving home and being put into a government quarantine location. And Americans of all stripes will not be willing. We tried that in the 40’s with a couple hundred thousand Japanese Americans and it’s still a sore subject. Are you willing to go the quarantine shelter and stay until a vaccine is ready?

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Yet, the virus is still there. They didn’t win yet.

I don’t have a side yet that I agree with 100%. I’ll wear a mask. No worries. I’ll distance from all. No worries. I’ll take care of the sanitation of everything that comes into my home. No worries. I’ll miss family events. No worries. I’ll miss my Osu. No worries. I’ll donate relief. No worries. Ask me to leave my family or my family to leave me and we now have a huge worry. And that’s just a hippy talking.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
This isn’t about quarantine at home or a city lockdown. This is now about you leaving home and being put into a government quarantine location. And Americans of all stripes will not be willing. We tried that in the 40’s with a couple hundred thousand Japanese Americans and it’s still a sore subject. Are you willing to go the quarantine shelter and stay until a vaccine is ready?
You don't have to stay until a vaccine is ready. This is also not mass interment based on race. Stop hyperventilating. You only have to stay until you're cleared medically. And we already quarantine people with, oh say, tuberculosis who refuse treatment.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
One had freedom of movement on a continent and the other did not.
That's right, and one had a lot of excess death and the other did not. But Sweden is a sovereign state and could have closed their borders and restricted movement any time they had wanted to, just like we tried to do back in February. You remember February, don't you? "Travel bans are racist!" Remember that? We tried to quarantine and restrict travel, and it was the right thing to do then. Trump tried to do it. Your boy.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sorry for double response. From your perspective it’s a great success. You’re the one I’m most worried about. We need you more than ever. And I appreciate you and the others here that have dedicated their lives to helping others. I want nothing but joy for all of you.

From my perspective, in a non medical view, I see a virus that is burning like a fire in a cotton field.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Hawaii’s second wave is the worst in the nation. Is that the point? I asked about that here yesterday and the response was that Pacific Islanders are more prone to contracting the virus. Or is the point about size vs population? NZ is 10x bigger but 3x population of Hawaii.
Simply pointing out it isn’t easy to control simply because you’re an island.

As for other points, New Zealand actually has 3x the percentage of Pacific Islanders and Hawaii does. Also, having been to New Zealand, I know a good swath of the southern island is not inhabitable due to mountainous terrain and glacier formations.