Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
My mom teaches in a large town in OK, and here's what they're dealing with.

Teachers are learning of their supposed training and safety protocols from emails sent out to parents, even though they haven't been trained as the emails state, and have no way to follow the ridiculous/impossible safety protocols due to logistics and physical room sizes. So, basically, the administration is lying to parents, then holding teachers accountable to meet impossible tasks.

It's a complete cluster, and borders on criminal behavior. Everyone gets screwed except for the administrators.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

Teachers are learning of their supposed training and safety protocols from emails sent out to parents, even though they haven't been trained as the emails state, and have no way to follow the ridiculous/impossible safety protocols due to logistics and physical room sizes. So, basically, the administration is lying to parents, then holding teachers accountable to meet impossible tasks.

It's a complete cluster, and borders on criminal behavior. Everyone gets screwed except for the administrators.
to be fair the Admins are writing policy set forward by the CDC who just in the last week has changed their policy 2 times to WILDLY different views than what was available prior to school starting. The guidelines from the CDC have changed 3 times since school started. Without clear and consistent guidelines the Admins are left to their own trying to make it up on the fly and they can't be expected to write long term policy when the Governing body giving them the guidelines continues to change it.

It is a cluster that started in DC

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
OU coach Lincoln Riley announces at presser today the OU Scout team has had some issues with covid and that he and the other coaches have been suiting up and playing on the scout team for some practices..especially on the Scout team special teams plays.

https://twitter.com/kfor/status/1308789688803700736

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Here's a thought...IF Binman thinks he's unbiased and just post things that are "out there," which I actually think he does believe that...Then how stinking much is the media biased to the liberal point of view?

This is the real problem with the USA at this moment in time and is a huge part of the draw of Trump because he goes directly up against the massively huge amount of left leaning media.
Can you show me the "Left Wing" equivalent of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fHfgU8oMSo&ab_channel=Deadspin

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
it would be good if this tracker was required to be reported to. This is a "tracker" (it is actually just an excel spreadsheet) was designed by a Kansas school teacher who is a member of the NEA (national teachers union) and the tracker relies on self reporting from NEA member teachers...of which Aprox only 55% of US teachers belong to. Schools aren't required to report to it and the only data coming into it are by teachers who take the time to report to it. No clue if the data is accurate or not. For example Westmore just quarantined 200 people this week and it isn't even listed on the tracker (they track quarantines too). I also know for a fact that many students/staff at my sons school have tested positive or been quarantined and it isn't even listed as a school on the tracker.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
there is also another "National School Covid" tracker being done by NPR. So far 334 schools in the entire US have decided to participate. Only 5 in Oklahoma

In that tracker of 334 schools they are reporting a 0.23% positive rate which is 3x higher than what your Tweet is claiming

There are 98,500 schools in the US. It would require ~ 11,700 schools to participate before any statistical significance could occur

Since the Fed Govt decided NOT to track cases in schools, then we have no direction and no clue what is happening in schools and not Governing Body collecting and compiling the data

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Not sure if serious, but ....

CNN, MSNBC, NBC News, WaPo, NYTimes, LaTimes, etc.

But seriously are you really disputing that American media is mostly (strong majority) liberal?
I was mostly trying to point out that there are major problems with right leaning media too.

If anything I think having 6+ major "left" media outlets is better than only having 1 or 2. I think your coverage is less white washed and biased.

The "right" media is controlled by a few outlets and that leads to 50 local news outlets running the exact same "danger to democracy" narrative/propaganda.

Simply pointing out there are more major left outlets than right doesn't prove there is a bias. It just shows one side is more of a monopoly. Total viewership would reflect what the market demands.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma

My BIL teaches in north Georgia, middle school math and science, and they are doing half classes with Monday, Tuesday for half, everyone is online Wednesday and 2nd half of Thursday Friday. He said it is working to balance out seeing kids and being safe.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I was mostly trying to point out that there are major problems with right leaning media too.

If anything I think having 6+ major "left" media outlets is better than only having 1 or 2. I think your coverage is less white washed and biased.

The "right" media is controlled by a few outlets and that leads to 50 local news outlets running the exact same "danger to democracy" narrative/propaganda. I guess I don't know what to say if you don't see the same stories regurgitated, daily, across left-leaning platforms. You can track it, every single day & watch the same stories bounce from CNN to Yahoo to MSN to USA Today. News organizations have always used the AP, Reuters, UPI (is that even still around?) for years for content, but the continuous bloodletting in media employment has resulted in less resources local, so more reliance on picking up stories from other outlets.

Simply pointing out there are more major left outlets than right doesn't prove there is a bias. The bias is clear as the nose on my face, from both sides. CNN using a darkened picture of Trump vs. the best picture of Hillary you've ever seen is just an example off the top of my head. I created graphics for television news for 5 years. This doesn't happen accidentally. It just shows one side is more of a monopoly. Total viewership would reflect what the market demands. FOX draws an almost equal audience to CNN & MSNBC combined. Ignoring this leads to the total disbelief you saw regarding 2016's result.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
to be fair the Admins are writing policy set forward by the CDC who just in the last week has changed their policy 2 times to WILDLY different views than what was available prior to school starting. The guidelines from the CDC have changed 3 times since school started. Without clear and consistent guidelines the Admins are left to their own trying to make it up on the fly and they can't be expected to write long term policy when the Governing body giving them the guidelines continues to change it.

It is a cluster that started in DC
I get that. But the problem is more that the Admins are holding teachers accountable for failures to keep things in order when their directions varying wildly and are generally impossible to perform.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/...ase-3-as-fauci-heads-to-senate-125219576.html

Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) announced on Wednesday that its coronavirus vaccine candidate had entered the late stage clinical phase, becoming the fourth company to do so in the global search for an effective COVID-19 inoculation.

“Four COVID-19 vaccine candidates are in Phase 3 clinical testing in the United States just over eight months after SARS-CoV-2 was identified,” said NIAID director Anthony Fauci, in a statement.

“This is an unprecedented feat for the scientific community made possible by decades of progress in vaccine technology and a coordinated, strategic approach across government, industry and academia,” he added.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
FOX draws an almost equal audience to CNN & MSNBC combined. Ignoring this leads to the total disbelief you saw regarding 2016's result.
I am not ignoring it. As a matter of fact I directly acknowledged and addressed it. I simply pointed out Fox has more of a monopoly on the right media than any single outlet on the left.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I am not ignoring it. As a matter of fact I directly acknowledged and addressed it. I simply pointed out Fox has more of a monopoly on the right media than any single outlet on the left.
Gotcha, not saying that you said that. Saying it goes largely ignored by others, thus there's a 'silent' group out there that some just don't see.