Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
While Covid-19 deaths continue to rise in Oklahoma it remain relatively uncommon in comparison to other common causes of death.

In 2017 for example (the last yearly report of all deaths) Oklahoma had 33,495 deaths. Thus far we have had a total of 1492 Covid-19 deaths No doubt we will have more virus-related deaths.

But deaths from other causes are also reported to be increasing. Until year end exact numbers can not be known.
But it’s interesting that Covid-19 deaths so far represent only 4.1% of all deaths.

The lesson for us all is to remain vigilant and reduce risk of death from all causes not just those from Covid-19.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
White House Coronavirus Task Force: 'There must be clear messaging to Oklahomans to act now'
Updated: 10:35 PM CST Nov 4, 2020
Abigail Ogle
OKLAHOMA CITY —
The White House Coronavirus Task Force’s latest report states that Oklahoma has the 11th highest positivity rate in the nation.

The report comes as Oklahoma’s hospitalization numbers have reached record highs. Task force officials said when it comes to the new hospitalization numbers, “there must be a clear message to Oklahomans to act now.”

Advertisement
Recommendations from the White House Coronavirus Task Force include not gathering without a mask with anyone living outside their home, always wearing a mask in public and stopping gatherings outside the household until cases and the positivity rate drops dramatically.

“We had nearly 350 people in the hospital with COVID-19 in the ICU, which means they’re really sick with this disease,” said Dr. Dale Bratzler, with OU Medicine. “And we may see 70, 80, 90 deaths per week in our state just based on the sheer number of people that are sick enough to be in the hospital in the ICU.”

Another concern from the task force is “behaviors seem to be eroding in university towns.”

“There’s been a couple of shifts that have happened. Although younger people are still the most likely to be confirmed as new cases, we’ve seen the number of older people who are getting infected going up again,” Bratzler said. “And because of that, we’re seeing our hospitalization numbers go up.”

As of Wednesday, 53 of Oklahoma’s 77 counties are in the red zone. Being in the red zone means there are more than 100 new cases per 100,000 people.

“The hospitals are stretched if we had a bad outbreak of influenza right now,” Bratzler said. “I think we could be, you know, have serious problems with hospital capacity in Oklahoma.”

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
White House Coronavirus Task Force: 'There must be clear messaging to Oklahomans to act now'
Updated: 10:35 PM CST Nov 4, 2020
Abigail Ogle
OKLAHOMA CITY —
The White House Coronavirus Task Force’s latest report states that Oklahoma has the 11th highest positivity rate in the nation.

The report comes as Oklahoma’s hospitalization numbers have reached record highs. Task force officials said when it comes to the new hospitalization numbers, “there must be a clear message to Oklahomans to act now.”

Advertisement
Recommendations from the White House Coronavirus Task Force include not gathering without a mask with anyone living outside their home, always wearing a mask in public and stopping gatherings outside the household until cases and the positivity rate drops dramatically.

“We had nearly 350 people in the hospital with COVID-19 in the ICU, which means they’re really sick with this disease,” said Dr. Dale Bratzler, with OU Medicine. “And we may see 70, 80, 90 deaths per week in our state just based on the sheer number of people that are sick enough to be in the hospital in the ICU.”

Another concern from the task force is “behaviors seem to be eroding in university towns.”

“There’s been a couple of shifts that have happened. Although younger people are still the most likely to be confirmed as new cases, we’ve seen the number of older people who are getting infected going up again,” Bratzler said. “And because of that, we’re seeing our hospitalization numbers go up.”

As of Wednesday, 53 of Oklahoma’s 77 counties are in the red zone. Being in the red zone means there are more than 100 new cases per 100,000 people.

“The hospitals are stretched if we had a bad outbreak of influenza right now,” Bratzler said. “I think we could be, you know, have serious problems with hospital capacity in Oklahoma.”
Round 2 of state-wide shutdowns coming? I see Illinois and some other states have done it.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Damn..TU can't catch a break. 3 games canceled and 3 postponed. Navy nor Tulsa have any open weeks so this one may have to turn to a canceled too as they don't have any make up open dates left for either team

https://twitter.com/kfor/status/1324380405651439616

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
@Rack
Remember I told you to watch that tier system in the state of Oklahoma to see how bad it is getting. OKC on pace to move into Tier 3 TODAY which means 20 to 39% of patients in staffed beds have COVID
View attachment 86868
That sucks...we need to be more careful and villigant. I'm concerned about staff and staffing levels. Those folks have to be just totally exhausted. God Bless em each one.

I had heard from the Governor the other day that things are still pretty good...must have escalated when I stopped looking. We got to keep being careful, wearing our mask, washing our hands, taking our vitamins and social distancing. I say my parents last Saturday for the first time since Christmas and cleaned up their ice damage...was careful but concerned not to infect them with anything I may not know my wife or I had. Was nice to see them and they were so grateful. They are both 81.

Thanks for the update.