1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

driving without catalytic converter- stolen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by okcfan33, May 30, 2007.

1. okcfan33

okcfan33 Deputy

I had my catalytic converter hack sawed off tonight while at church!

I can get it replaced soon, but I need to be in the office tomorrow morning, then I can leave after some appointments.

anybody have any idea how safe it is to drive without one?
    ideally i would like to wait until saturday to get it fixed, but I don't want to damage anything further.

I notice a slight difference in my horsepower, but other than that, it is just very loud.

thanks,
  2. ansipoke

ansipoke Greenhorn

You will get a check your engine light on w/o the cats. Your engine will run a little different. The reason you saw a little more hp was b/c you are flowing the exhaust freely instead of having the "cats" restricing the flow. All a "cat" really does is clean the exhaust gas as it exits the engine.

I have ran my truck awhile w/o the cats. I stuck a module in that told the computer that the "cats "where there. You should be ok till Sat. but if you really dont want to risk it then go ahead and get it fixed.
  3. gopokes

gopokes Cowboy

Assuming you don't have a real long commute, you should be ok until Saturday.
  4. bleedorange

bleedorange Cowboy

I would keep a keen eye out for Al Gore. He'll bust a cap on you.

Congratulations. You now have a more efficient car. Leave it off as long as possible.
  5. PokeNBeans

PokeNBeans Cowboy

Anyone ever cut one off your own car?
  6. Pokefan

Pokefan Cowboy

But your now making it harder for everyone else to breath.
    glad your taking personal responisibilty for the environment, good job on getting it fixed.

Smog in Big Cities was the reason those things were invented.
  7. curtis

curtis Deputy

I wouldn't drive it too long before getting it fixed, not because it's going to damage your car in any way but because it could get you a ticket if you get stopped.
  8. Pokit N

Pokit N Cowboy

My brother had a 1989 chevy truck back in 1996, that had the convertor taken off by the previous owner. It was awesome! It would rack off like crazy, and when you are 16 you love stuff like that. However, he did get pulled over, and got a warning, and did have to get a convertor put on.
  9. Donnyboy

A/V Subscriber Donnyboy Tragically Handsome

In states with lax inspection practices you would be amazed how many are driving around without one. You will do absolutely no damage to your car in fact it will run better and more efficeintly. Growing up in a rural area I know the majority of farmers I knew cut them off the day they bought trucks for the horsepower and gas mileage. To the ticket reason very few cops will be able to tell unless they look under the car. As you said it is only slightly louder and engines have different tones and they hear cars without them all the time....as well as after market exhaust systems.

The only reason for a cat. converter is environmental. There is absolutely no mechanical reason to have one.
  10. curtis

curtis Deputy

That would be true if the converter had been replaced with a piece of exhaust tubing which is what you're talking about. In this case the converter has been taken off and the exhaust is coming straight out of the engine, not going through the muffler. I would imagine it's pretty loud.
  11. Donnyboy

true.....
  12. Slugger926

Slugger926 Deputy

You can now buy cheaper leaded gas if you can find it.

Also, your car will run higher MPG if you can replace that section with a pipe.:D
  13. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit

Why would someone steel it? By the way, stealing is wrong, but at church, it's just asking for it.
  14. ansipoke

ansipoke Greenhorn

You can turn "cats" in for money much like you do aluminum cans.
  15. Pokes28

Staff A/V Subscriber Pokes28 Moderator

The best part of not having a catalytic converter is that you don't have to ever have that rotten egg smell. At least from the car.

David Harrell - Pokes
    dwh
  16. CorpsVet

CorpsVet Greenhorn

They contain, I believe, platinum and can be sold for about $200.00. They are easlily removed by using a battery powered hack saw to cut the tail pipe at each end of the converter.

I would imagine that pick-ups are eaiser to take them from as they sit higher off the ground and someone can more easily get under one to do the cutting.
  17. Erick

Erick Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit

Wow, $200 bucks. You think an 18 volt dewalt would do the trick? Who would I, uh I mean the perp take the cat con to?

Just kiddin folks.
  18. Donnyboy

Okcfan......I think I may have located your part!
  19. CornDawg

CornDawg Cowboy

You can run w/o your cats for however long you want to. I don't run any cats on my 2002 Chevy since I have longtube headers and an off-road y-pipe (catless). I have never really heard of anyone getting stopped in Oklahoma for no cats unless you just rev it up by a police officer. I also have a pretty large cam so it has more of a 'cam' sound than a 'no cat' sound so that could also be why I haven't gotten stopped. DO NOT go to a shop to get a new cat. You will seriously be reamed. Go to a scrapyard or some online automotive forums and you can find one easy...