Dunn is in over his head

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 16, 2020
Atlanta
Oh the football geniuses that some of y’all apparently are! We lost our star QB on the first drive. in subsequent series, we lost three starters on the offensive line. Our QB2 has never taken a snap in D1 football, and didn’t get the benefit of a Spring practice. We had to move our All Big 12 LT to RT to stop the bleeding because a redshirt Freshman was getting schooled by a Sr edge rusher. Then we put in our QB3, who hadn’t practiced in two weeks. Gundy said they almost didn’t let him suit up. It was a classic cluster F! The one thing I know for certain, we out coached TU and that’s why we won.
The play calling on the first drive where they got too conservative running on 3rd down was bad too.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Gundy's first OC was Larry Fedora, He was former OC at University of Florida and we flourished. Fedora left to become head coach at Southern Miss.

Gundy named OC's that hadn't been OC's anywhere nor anywhere since and tried to manage the offense himself and we sucked eggs.

Mike Holder allegedly threatened his job and Gundy begrudgingly hired Dana Holgorsen and we thrived as an offense. Holgorsen had crushed it as OC at Texas Tech and Houston prior to Oklahoma State and was the head coach for 7 seasons at West Virginia.

After Holgorsen, Gundy hired Todd Monken, Monken was an NFL level position coach and assistant OC at LSU, and we thrived. He left to become head coach at Southern Miss and then an NFL OC for the last 6 seasons.

Gundy hired Mike Yurcich out of D-3 Shippensburg, we flopped around for six seasons and he left to be a position coach at Ohio State (non-lateral move), he is the current OC at Texas, they looked good in their one game, but not much of a barometer, because it was UTEP who was 3-23 coming into the game.

After the Yurcich stillbirth Gundy hired Sean Gleason from Princeton. We floundered around for a season and Gleason left to be OC at Rutgers. Rutgers has gone 7-47 in conference against the Big Ten.

----------------------------------------------------
It seems like Mike Gundy either can't or won't hire the best offensive coordinators available and our offense suffers. Kasey Dunn MAY be great, and I hope he thrives; But there is something definitely amiss with our offensive coordinator hires.

I like Mike Gundy, having an alum is a nice recruiting tool, he runs a clean program and wins, but it seems he is afraid to hire an OC that may be better than him; and it holds our team back from maximizing potential and getting to the next level.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Gundy's first OC was Larry Fedora, He was former OC at University of Florida and we flourished. Fedora left to become head coach at Southern Miss.

Gundy named OC's that hadn't been OC's anywhere and tried to manage the offense himself before nor anywhere since and we sucked eggs.

Mike Holder allegedly threatened his job and Gundy begrudgingly hired Dana Holgorsen and we thrived as an offense. Holgorsen had crushed it as OC at Texas Tech and Houston prior to Oklahoma State and was the head coach for 7 seasons at West Virginia.

After Holgorsen, Gundy hired Todd Monken, Monken was an NFL level position coach and assistant OC at LSU, and we thrived. He left to become head coach at Southern Miss and then an NFL OC for the last 6 seasons.

Gundy hired Mike Yurcich out of D-3 Shippensburg, we flopped around for six seasons and he left to be a position coach at Ohio State (non-lateral move), he is the current OC at Texas, they looked good in their one game, but not much of a barometer, because it was UTEP who was 3-23 coming into the game.

After the Yurcich stillbirth Gundy hired Sean Gleason from Princeton. We floundered around for a season and Gleason left to be OC at Rutgers. Rutgers has gone 7-47 in conference against the Big Ten.

----------------------------------------------------
It seems like Mike Gundy either can't or won't hire the best offensive coordinators available and our offense suffers. Kasey Dunn MAY be great, and I hope he thrives; But there is something definitely amiss with our offensive coordinator hires.

I like Mike Gundy, having an alum is a nice recruiting tool, he runs a clean program and wins, but it seems he is afraid to hire an OC that may be better than him; and it holds our team back from maximizing potential and getting to the next level.
Yurcich only had top 20 offenses 5 of his 6 years, so ya he sucked ....

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
It was one game, at the start of the strangest season ever, our starting quarterback had half a series before he got hurt, and the first backup in couldn't move the ball.

Let's not go all knee jerk after one game.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
And to think, last week I posted a comment asking the over/under on how many plays it would take to get a FIRE DUNN comment. And my post got the "old" emogi. There is nothing new under the sun...

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
If Yurcich left to be the OC at Ohio State, yes obviously that would be an improvement. He left to be their QB coach. That was a regressive move.
QB coach and passing game coordinator. But you just added another requirement. First it was not a "higher ranked program" even though Ohio State is a "traditional football power" with multiple MNCs, and now it is "regressive move" because he wasn't the OC. You hate Yurcich. I get it.